Crinum lilies in the Washington area

cambridge md, MD(Zone 7a)

Has anyone grown Crinum lilies beside me ? What was you experience ? I planted one 10years ago in a planter alongside of my house , I also planted one in Cambridge and they have really thrived. I think that they do better in partial shade, they do not get dehydrated as much. In the winter the foliage get completely frozen and I have to cut them, They come back very nicely as soon as the weather breaks , they are already about a foot tall. My Crinum bloom for about two months so long as I keep it well watered. I am ready to plant three more, I got those at Sam's club I think that they got those by accident, another experiment for me.....They were mixed with what is called St Joseph lilies which are southern ammarilys another plant experiment ....

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Do you recall the name of the one you grow? There are a gazillion listed in PlantFiles. I didn't realize any was hardy here! But I love the idea of anything that will bloom where it is a bit shady....

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I haven't grown them before but I just received one from another DG member. It is a Queen Emma Crinum.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

The Queen Emma Crinum is beautiful, but it doesn't look to be hardy here. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/90355/

Holly, are you taking it indoor in the winter?

It sounds as if OrchidFancy is leaving hers (his?) outside in the winter with great success -- and in partial shade, no less!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Mine will have to come inside this fall. I have a soft spot for tropical plants but I sure don't live in a tropical area. LOL

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I had some Crinnum Lilies eons ago.....Can't remember when--it was before I joined DG.
SOO! Long--long ago.....

I got them from somewhere--and I babied them--planted them---
and hoped for blooms from them--forever.....Seems it never happened.....
Perhaps my gardning techniques were not right....

Gave up--and????? Don't remember what i did with them?????
Maybe dug up and gave them away???? Maybe just got rid of them?????

Odd as it is.....Since I had NO luck with then once--I have NO desire to try them again....

Gita

cambridge md, MD(Zone 7a)

I have two crinum lily , one in College park and one in Cambridge on the Eastern shore. Both are doing very well . They are both planted in a raised bed, one against a fence , the other against my sun room wall. They are huge and I like to divide them in the spring , they get frozen every year and they come back in the spring after I cut all the mushy leaves away. I like to move them in the back yard in semi shade somewhere but where I am not sure . They do need a lots of water and do not do well in full sun they burn..

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Do crinum lily usually grow in your area? Or are they a borderline plant? If they are borderline you might move them out of a micro-clime that is protecting them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.