Growing fruit in the Midwest/ do you have a favorite?

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

I live in central Iowa and would like to plant fruit trees this year. Do you have a favorite apricot, plum, cherry, peach and nectarine? So many to choose from and so little space...help me figure out which ones to buy. The descriptions in the catalog all say each one is sweet, juicy, luscious ect...but are they really? I'd like to hear from folks that have planted and tasted the product to find out what their favorites are. HELP!

Flint Hills, KS(Zone 5b)

IowaAnn, I had the same question, and didn't get much help asking around locally. Few people liked their fruit trees, or knew the variety, or thought they did particularly well here. Maybe Iowa is better for fruit? I found a book at my local library that I am finding really helpful; "Landscaping with Fruit" by Lee Reich. There is a section for every kind of fruit, and each kind is given a "LUSCIOUS LANDSCAPE INDEX" --a rating that indicates a deliciousness, productiveness and landscape beauty to difficulty ratio. Published in 2009. It isn't local information, but I think it will help me choose.

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks PrairieFolly! I've gone ahead and ordered apricots, sweet cherries and plums from Grandpas Fruit tree Farm in Michigan. 6 of the 8 trees have been planted and I'm going to make sure to keep a record of the names of the varieties and flavor ( like or dislike) so that I can post at a later date. :)

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

If you want to just go bonkers, buy Fruits and Nuts by Suzanna Lyle. It covers a lot of tropicals but also covers a huge portion of the NOT SO WELL KNOWN cold hardy fruits. It is a very good read. Lots of pictures and how to grow those varieties.

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh my gosh! Thanks for the information jujubetexas! I'm sure I'll be checking this site out in the winter when I do my major shopping...then groan when it comes time to plant them! :) But I think about the great tasting fruit I'll be eating in the future while I'm groaning! : )

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Also go to BurntRidgeNursery.com and OneGreenWorld.com

Be warned, you may drool.

If you see something you like, just check the cold tolerance on that plant. Most of the stuff they sell is extremely cold hardy but some are not.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.