Florida Gardening Pictures of the Day - 27

Allthingsplants, FL(Zone 8b)

Come join us & share your pictures!
We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1161334/

Thumbnail by flaflwrgrl
Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

I don't know the answer Jeremy. Mine have all multiplied but they were spaced generously when planted. They're not crowded so I've just left mine alone.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Jeremy, if the multiples have developed enough to stand on their own, go ahead, dig them, ease the roots apart from each other and move them over. 4 to 5 plants is probably a good time to separate some. getting kinda crowded.

Molly

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the info about daylilies! I will take a closer look at them and decide if the clumps need to be broken up. I am guessing the time to do that would be after they flower?

I have mostly rose flowers to show today.

I need help with getting the white balance set correctly for my camera. This is a Noisette rose, either 'Lamarque' and 'Mme Alfred Carriere' or both. I planted them in the same area several years ago and they have intermixed. Lamarque has a lemony scent and Mme. Carriere has pink tones. They each have spread out with "tentacles" reaching about 30 ft in length along my front fence. Very pretty right now to have a hedge of rose flowers.

Jeremy

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener

A closeup of a bud of what I think is 'Lamarque'. They open up to the usual multi-petaled old fashioned flat rose.

Jeremy

This one was previously identified in the DG Rose Forum as 'Sally Holmes'. It looks a lot like Cherokee Rose, but blooms several times per year rather than just in early spring.

Jeremy

I think this is what came from the root stock of a rose that died. It may be a 'Knockout' but the color and shape don't seem right for 'Knockout'.

Jeremy

This one was previously identified in the DG Rose Forum as 'Veilchenblau'. It came as a cutting from a rose at my Mom's house. I grew up hating it because every time I mowed the lawn, the rose would inevitably snag me and rip my skin open; but now I treasure it.

Jeremy

This is what I think is the Noisette Rose, 'Mme. Alfred Carriere'.

Jeremy

Jeremy, I never knew you had so many roses in your gardens. Beautiful!

Molly

Another view of the root stock rose.

Jeremy

Mock Orange/English Dogwood (Philadelphus corunarius) putting on a spectacular show this year.

Jeremy

Another view of P. coronarius. It has self-seeded in a few spots near the parent plant. I can probably bring the seedlings to the May 28 roundup if anyone wants them.

Jeremy

Breck's Bulbs trademarked Lily Tree, returning from dormancy. This, I think, is its third year when it is supposed to reach full height of about 6 - 8 ft and be covered with large trumpet-shaped Lily Flowers. My fears that it may not do well here have been vanquished. It seems quite happy.

Jeremy

Lily Tree, with Tree Dahlia to the right (Dahlia imperialis) and Rosebud Sage (Salvia involucrata), surrounded by Cast Iron Plant (Aspidistra) and Crepe Myrtle trees.

Jeremy

Bromeliad survivor, Queen's Tears, Bilbergia nutans. I grow them on old oak tree stumps and trunks.

Jeremy

"Weed patch" or "native plants," you decide. I can't get rid of them even after years of pulling them up, so I just enjoy them. Daisy Fleabane (Erigeron annuus) and Spiderwort (Tradescantia ohiensis).

Has anyone ever tried Daisy Fleabane in a dog bed to see if it really will repel fleas?

Jeremy

A newly acquired old garden/antique rose, 'Anna Olivier'.

Jeremy

Climbing rose, 'Blaze'. Another recent acquisition that is still in the pot awaiting a more permanent home near a trellis.

Jeremy

And certainly not pretty, but definitely needs to be noticed. The first instar of Lubber Grasshoppers (Romalea guttea) freshly hatched. There were two nests side by side. The other nest had babies that were mostly orange. I don't know what the color difference may be, but I think they start out orange and then quickly turn black. I sent them all to grasshopper heaven with Hot Shot Natural flying insect spray, with the active ingredient of lemon oil. Works great when they are this small without poisoning the Earth or harming the surrounding plants.

Jeremy

Here's a fuzzy photo of the orange baby Lubbers. Strange about the color difference. It may be that these, which look larger than the others, are already going through the first molt and are shedding their skin.

Jeremy

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Jeremy, you've been getting plants from MY yard!!! LOL My tree lilys are just up about a foot. The tree Dahlia is up about 2'.

Allthingsplants, FL(Zone 8b)

Jeremy, Molly no doubt knows more than I do about when to divide daylilys but thus far here is what I've done: The clumps get big & then I dig some off of those clumps & give them to friends & family. It seems that every time I dig/cut some off of a clump, that remaining clump gets new vigor & does better, better flower production, better growth. The way I see it it's a win, win situation. And that way I don't have to dig up the whole bunch & try to divide & move. The Lazy Gardeners way. Nah, I just haven't had mine alllll that long yet. But I admit that I love the idea that my cousin in Texas has daylilys from me & my friends in N.C & Al. do also. In return, without formal trades, they send me things. And so, daylilys from N.C. end up in my yard. Warm & fuzzy feelings.

Love all your roses!!!!

Ann

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Jeremy I am so proud of you for realizing what boogers Lubbers are. When I first moved here one really bruised my face and just missed an eye.
Pennyroyal is the better flea repellent and neem oil also I think. A bed of cypress shavings and pennyroyal is a good flea dissuade-r. Make a second cover that you can launder for Ty.
Sidney

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh no Jeremy! BOOOOOOO to lubbers! My MIL had her first siting a week or so ago, I haven't seen any at my place yet (knocking on wood).

It's been so quiet here, I wonder where everyone is.

So, I found some new blooms in the past couple days.

This is some kind of spiderwort I think. I happen to see it in the morning, otherwise I would have missed it. Blooms closed by afternoon.

I love spiderwort as it does so well here, but this pink one is different, very low in a clump of grasses.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

A big red ammie

Thumbnail by MollyMc

And here's one of the first ones to bloom I got from the Chiefland $2.00 a pot sale

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Don't know where this came from. It's growing in a pot in the orchid house and I am sure I did not put it there.

I have wild phlox growing here, but they do not make this many blooms at one time. It would be nice if I could get the ones like this to grow out in the gardens.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Nice photos Molly. Yeah it sure has been quiet on here the past week. Been doing so much watering since it refuses to rain at all in South Florida. Been doing lots of staring at the Daylilies as well watching new scapes forming each day. Its gonna be colorful in the Daylily section pretty soon.

Love phlox. Have just the annual type seed grown phlox down here. Its still holding on pretty well despite the 90 degree days.

You guys aren't alone, re: the rain - we had about 3 drops early this morning. I have a full-yard sprinkler system, each zone running 1 hour, and I STILL have to supplemental-water!

I left the sprinklers running all night because I'm so forgetful. So, of course, we got rain today. It never seems to fail.

This Lady's Slipper Orchid blooms very dependably this time every year. I wish I hadn't killed all my other Lady's Slippers by trying to divide them and repot the divisions. I had about a dozen of them at one time but they didn't like being sliced into separate plants. Live and learn..

Jeremy

It's gorgeous Jeremy. At least you still have the one left to enjoy. Sprinklers run here Wedn and Sat morning. That's all that's allowed, but still have to do hand watering and there are always those several spots the sprinklers miss a bit.

These are some cut flowers from the yard today. Consists of Rudbeckias, Ranunculus, Snapdragons, Alstroemeria and Foxglove.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Dianthus "Super Raspberry Parfait". This plant was purchased about a year ago. Every time it gets straggly looking I cut it back to the ground. Each time its back in bloom in about 6 weeks.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Perennial Morning Glory "Blue Dawn". I think I've had this one about 3 years now.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

The Texas Bluebonnets still blooming on the west side of the house.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Delphinium "Blue Mirror" and reseeded "Double Click Orange" Cosmos. These Delphiniums are only annuals down here. They will start dying back in June or July.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Just beautiful, Jon!

Gaillardia "Fanfare". Its a hybrid Gaillardia so it can't be grown from seed.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Rudbeckia "Irish Eyes". This was seed grown last spring. It's decided to return and bloom again this year.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.