Favorite Annuals?

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Okay---we've got some nice discussions going on shrubs, perennials, etc. Now let's add some annuals chatter. What are your favorites? Is there something you start from seed every year because you love it so much? Are there some perennials or bulbs that are not hardy here that you love so much that you buy them as annuals? What do you buy year after year, and how do you incorporate them with your shrubs, perennials, trees? Do you make your own hanging baskets/pots? PHOTOS PLEASE!!! If you have them!

My pic is actually of something I would put on my NOT favorite list----It's purple wave petunia, and my complaint is that it is not purple. It is magenta. Very, very magenta.

I'm starting boatloads of annuals from seed this year. I can't comment on their performance, because most of them are new to me as seeds. There are many I'm really excited about----one of them is Polygonum 'Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate'. Who can resist that one? And another that I'm doing again this year that I also loved: 'Falling in Love poppies Mix'. Wow---I should have started a thread on Valentine's Day about the most romantic plant names! That would have been a fun one!

Because I'm a newbie to Dave's Garden.......hope I'm not repeating too many topics, by the way!

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Kosk, no harm if something might be a repeat. We tend to veer way off topic anyway, with no one objecting, and as you may have already noticed, random topics may circle around the threads.

That said, and back to topic: I don't do many annuals, likely because I suck at starting seed and it seems rather extravagant to spend money on plants that only last one season. I will be interested to see what others have had luck with. I do like petunias of some sort, usually in a container, for their velvet look and fragrance. Snaps are another favorite, they tend to either act as a perennial or reseed themselves for me - I just let them pop up where the want.

I did dig out a sidewalk bed which I am devoting to reseeding annuals, and so far it is working. In it are a little white early blooming bulb, forget-me-nots, CA poppies, white allysum, and coreopsis. The notion is to have something blooming throughout spring/summer/fall which will all reseed. Trying to steer away from a red/white/blue theme by adding in the hot oranges. Still a work in progress (aren't they all). This photo is after the poppies were cut down, with the coreopsis just starting to mingle into the allysum. Full sun on a southwestern slope. Trying to keep it fairly short. Ideas more than welcome.

Thumbnail by bonehead
Seattle, WA

Fun thread! I'm also starting a bunch of annuals from seed this year and will be interested to hear which ones you all find worth the trouble.

Bonehead, Erysimum cheiri might fit right in to your sidewalk border. It's an orange wallflower with a delicious scent, easy to start by just throwing some seed out, and it reseeds. May also last a second season. But frankly, I don't see that you need any ideas for that border - it's gorge!

I'll add some of my favorite annuals from last summer's garden. This is Amaranth 'Oeschberg' and dill.

Thumbnail by Kymmco
Seattle, WA

Probably an obvious one, but nasturtiums! What's not to love? Pop a seed in the ground and it takes off, making more seeds for next year.

This year I'm doing Moonlight - a trailing pale yellow type that I'm going to train up twiggy trellises in the veggie garden.

Thumbnail by Kymmco
Seattle, WA

I'm in love with annual poppies of all kinds. This year I'm starting:

California types Apricot Chiffon, Rose Chiffon, and Thai Silk Mix
Black Peony and Black Swan
Shirley Poppy 'Falling in Love'
and seeds I gathered from last year's Papaver somniferum

The pic is last year's Shirley Poppy mix.

Thumbnail by Kymmco
Seattle, WA

And the papaver somniferum

Thumbnail by Kymmco
Seattle, WA

And I can never resist buying some petunias for hanging baskets. This pic was taken in October last year, so they hung on well. And below the petunias is my African Honeybush - melianthus major - that is a tender perennial I take a chance on because I love it so. Might be replacing it this year - I think I pulled the mulch off too soon, but there is still time for it to emerge. It may surprise me!

Oh, and I don't think you can see it in this pic, but also in that planting last year was Nicandra also known as Shoofly, a reseeding annual that I'll be doing again. It's one of those old classic pass along plants.

Thumbnail by Kymmco
Seattle, WA

Okay, had to pull up a pic of the Nicandra. Here it is growing against an apple tree. Aren't the seed pods cool?

Thumbnail by Kymmco
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all of the pics!

Questions---Deb, on the alyssum---does it actually reseed itself? I've started 75 of them indoors this year, and they are doing beautifully----very, very easy to start inside I'm finding. (Last year I direct sowed and got nothing)? Pic is taken this year---alyssum I started mixed with ranunculus---a bulb I treat as an annual and purchase every spring, b/c I love them so much. (Planning to start some this fall in my greenhouse from bulbs----Started some in a pot last year and they bloomed in July---kind of weird. I guess the bulbs aren't hardy here in the winter, so you plant them in spring to get summer blooms, or in the fall in a greenhouse to get spring blooms).

Kymmco----GENIUS pairing of the amaranth with the DILL!!!! I'm going to copy you---thanks for the idea. I don't have the Oeschburg started, but I have Hopi Red Dye started and that will have a similar look.

Love poppies. Probably my favorite flower currently. Starting many of the same ones as you......crying child. Gotta go. Will probably chatter more later.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I really like the poppies, too. :) I'm waiting to see what seeded itself from last year. I'm also trying P. Rhoeas "mother of pearl' mix-the first time to try this kind of poppy.

My alyssum does reseed pretty reliably. I'm really beginning to like the reseeding annuals-they move about a little and come up with better combos than I do sometimes!
I'm hoping that the Bells of Ireland will be back again. They are so unique and look great with everything I can think of.

Is it possible to not like nasturtiums? I hope not! I will grow some variety, haven't decided which yet. The "Alaska" with the variegated leaves is a favorite but I think I want to try something different this year.

I've also had a dwarf stock come back for a couple of years. It's been kind of plummy/magenta and it's looked good with the sporadically reseeding anagallis monelli that has a magenta ring in the center of its blue flowers.

I also like petunias, particularly the darkest blue-purple ones. I like the older ones that still have scent. One of my favorite things to do in summer is sit on my deck and read. I love that gentle petunia scent wafting by. I like it because it's not too strong and it kind of comes and goes. I've started them from seed and they do just fine but they don't seem to ever come back.

My beds have been rather chaotic the last few years because I've been wanting to try so many different things and I've made a few mistakes (what??? THESE weren't supposed to bloom AT THE SAME TIME!!!) so I don't have any pictures from last year that I'm happy with-and so far everything looks even worse this year. I neglected everything last year so I'm going to be paying for it this year.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

A favorite combo for me is sunflowers (usually a mix) along my herb garden fence with nasturtiums at their feet. So much sunny color. And piles of bees. Looked for a photo, but not finding one, will have to snap one this year.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

My nasturtiums were coated, literally coated, with aphids (I'm assuming that's what they were). Perhaps that was okay, bc nothing else had aphids except all of my brassicas. I planted them in the veggie garden, and they were just mobbed. I'm going to plant them in a planter this year instead and see what happens.

Seattle, WA

Well nasturtiums are supposed to be good 'catch plants' to put in your veggie garden. The idea being they get the bugs instead of your veggies. I do wonder though from time to time if they aren't just attracting their very own bugs.

Anyhow, I pull mine out mid-season when they get coated with aphids. There is usually already a second crop starting at that point from seeds dropped by the first round, so I let them take over until the first frost finishes them off.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

I guess that must be why I planted them there. Must have read that somewhere. But I found myself wondering the same thing.....would the bugs still be there if the nasturtiums were not? It was pretty gross. But now wondering if the aphids will bother the rest of my plants if I dont plant them there again. They were pretty intermixed with everything. I'll probably do the same things this year and go with the "catch" theory......Why not....seeds are cheap, right ?

Lake Stevens, WA

My passion is doing pots. So I grow different annuals.
Love Dragon Wing Begonias. I grow those from seed every year. Most New Years Day you will find me in the greenhouse planting, begonias and geraniums. They take that long to grow into good sized plants for May planting. Later I grow impatients, putunia, different salvias and angelonia. Have 3 different kinds of rudbeckia growing too. Have not planted my millet yet and it may be to late to get good sized plants. On my wish list --- bigger greehouse. In the fall I take cuttings off my coleus and baby all winter until it is warm enough to put out. Love coleus!! This year I want to do one pot with just different coleus. I think that will be just gorgeous . Oh forgot the best heliotrope. The smell is heavenly. Thats in the greeenhouse too.

Then I take cuttings from my butterfly and fancy leaved geraniums(wintered over). I have more of those guys rot. Think I only get 50% or less to root. 'Mrs Cox' is my fav!
I could go on. I guess I'm a control freek. I have a hard time letting mother nature do the seeding and in pots not so easy. I hate to weed and deadhead bent over and the dogs. Love them, so if the pretties are up high no problems.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get seed geraniums to bloom faster! Never get a bloom before June.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Those are some great ones! I agree, I'd rather start everything indoors, even my poppies. I don't trust what will happen outside with the direct sowing---too chancy. I'm going to venture into begonias next year, I think.

Coleus---I agree---can't get enough of that. And very easy to start from seed indoors. I did a pot last year with just different coleus. You can see it in the pic---that is how it looked at pumpkin harvest time, so I guess October-ish is when the pic was taken. It seemed like overnight last year that they went from being average size in the pot, to just kaboom---coleus power. I didn't fertilize or anything. Just average potting soil. Those were an Ed Hume seed packet "Rainbow Mix" of coleus. Repeating that this year.

I've got rudbeckia 'prairie sun' and rudbeckia 'cherry brandy' (I think I've seen you mention you have that one started too in the coneflowers forum). Are you finding them to be extremely slow growing??? I started mine around Feb 1. Individual leaves are only about 2 cm so far, and have just kind of stopped there it seems. Prairie sun is definitely a tender perennial----I have a hard time getting those to come back for me.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Looked up Mrs. Cox----cool!

Seattle, WA

Oooh, pretty coleus pick (and cute boys - I'm partial, have two myself). This winter for the first time I've overwintered my coleus and the one fancy geranium/pelargonium thingy that I have on my office windowsill. I'll have to take my camera in there to record, it has turned into an absolute jungle. The coleus are huge! I'm kind of scared to put them back outside some day - seems like they'll sulk. Any tips for those of us without greenhouses on transferring these babies back out once it is warm enough?

I'm also trying the 'scentsation' line of begonias this year from tubers. They're potted up and sitting on a warming matt as we speak.

Lake Stevens, WA

Mother nature is not nice!! We have snow on the ground this AM. I sure envey those that do allow nature to seed.
Yes the rud's are slow but so great all summer. I had 'cherry brandy' winter over 2 years ago. I don't think so this year. I have my ruds outside with domes over them. They are close to the house so hope they are ok.

Your boys are just so cute. I had 2 blondies too (boys). Love you coleus pot!! What did you grow in your cradle on the left of the coleus?

Lake Stevens, WA

Kymmco,
Don't put your coleus out until we have warm nights. I put them out late April last year. Big Big mistake lost half after taking care of them all winter. You will have to slowly put them out when it gets warm. If you put them in direct sun the leaves will burn, even the geranium. Find a place were you get a little morning sun and protected.

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

I would love to be able to direct sow some of my annuals but, as I have mentioned on other threads, being in the woods means that the slugs descimate new seedlings. I can't seem to get any poppies to come through though I plan to try again this year now that I have my one new sunnier bed.
I am getting to absolutely love fibrous begonias as they do seem slug resistant and do overwinter in my greenhouses and propagate easily from cuttings. They also provide color a bit earlier than impatiens, another of my all time annual favorites.
I am out of love with alyssum as it does seem to propagate a little too freely for my taste (ah one seedling the slugs don't seem to like!)
I start lobelia from seed each year as I use so much of it and it is pretty successful though it is a real pain to transplant. I was thrilled to find seed for Cambridge Blue this year and we have about four flats between Julie and me.

We are also very fond of nicotiana, various kinds, and cleome, which does reseed sometimes.
Susybell, I do love Bells of Ireland but have never been successful with it here in this cool climate. Perhaps you are motivating me to try again in my new sunny bed. They add such a nice touch to a cut bouquet.
Also love colleus and am trying Kong from seed this year as well as the rainbow mix. We'll see. Again, I know it needs hotter areas than I can usually provide and a pot is probably the best idea, Kosk. I have overwintered one in the greenhouse, but they tend to collect any stray bug-pest, as do impatiens in the winter.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

My nasturtiums also get aphids but either I'm deliberately blocking the memory or it's not that bad where they grow now. I remember the first time I ever grew them I got black aphids I'd never seen before-freaked me out!!! My nasturtiums grow around my compost pile, so maybe there are enough other insects in the area that it's a tiny little war zone for the aphids.

Love heliotrope! I haven't had that for a couple of years. I think I'll have to get some this year-it smells great. I know it's toxic-do dogs ever eat it?

And, uh-oh, I was starting some seeds in trays last night and came across some geranium seeds from last year. I decided to go ahead and try them, but it sounds like they probably won't work out very well. Oh well, they're in a tray now, I'll just have to wait and see what happens. That's a lot of the fun for me, anyhow, just seeing what will happen. I am doing all my seeds late and am happy to hear Coleus start easily. I'm hoping to be able to give my mom lots of starts this year and save her some money on annuals-can anyone say mother's day gift??? (lol) Well, OK, considering how late I'm starting, more like Memorial Day, but that's OK too...

Kosk, That's a great crop of squash/pumpkins-what kinds did you grow? (Your little boys are very cute, too-I wanted to make a joke about special blonde pumpkins but couldn't make it work...) How well do the poppies do when you start them inside-I mean actual annual Papaver, not the California poppy(Escholzia?) I was told not to start papaver inside. I don't remember why now, though--either they needed cold, or they have a taproot and don't like being disturbed? I wouldn't mind being able to control where they are just a bit better if they will start OK inside.

Y'know, seems I remember when I was a kid that Coleus were just considered houseplants. My mom had one for quite a long time and she never put it outside.

I love sunflowers, but either the last batch I tried was no good or something ate all the seeds. The only ones I've had work out for me are Black Oil sunflower (hmmm, now where did those seeds come from, lol). They're a little boring, though. I want to try some of the "fancy" ones again.

I'm in a tired of Nicotiana phase. I got some "perfect mix" seedlings from Pixy a couple of years ago-wow, they're awesome. 6-7 ft tall, fragrant, reseed, perennial. Yes, perennial. I tested it last year to see if I was nuts, and Pix confirmed it. I planted them somewhere they like a lot. They grow too well and take over. I am probably going to need to go into the bed and dig up the roots until they are back in control where I want them-again. The stems are also prone to breaking so every time I go back into the bed I break a bunch of stuff off. However, they are fantastic to plant around tall lilies to sort of hide the stems after the lilies are done and they bloom until frost-yay!

Other than the perfect mix, I do like the shorter nicotianas. Perfume Dark Purple is a favorite, and the green one is pretty neat.

Sharon, I hope you are successful with the Bells of Ireland! I am trying some in my deck pots this year-if the seeds come up--if we ever really get spring. I'm hoping that they'll make a neat accent right in the middle. The lobelia seeds are tiny, tiny! How much seed did you plant for the four trays? It's one of my mom's favorites but the seed in the one packet I had didn't seem to go very far.

I don't know what I want to do in my big green shade pot this year. It's off in a corner under a tree and I just look at it from a distance. Impatiens are very happy there and bloom forever without a lot of fussing. Coleus are OK, some did well, some didn't. How well do the fibrous begonias tolerate benign neglect-ie infrequent deadheading? I've had the big-flowering ones-some don't do much, others are fabulous, others hide their blooms. Not what I want in a pot I look at from 20-25ft away.

I like the purple alyssum better than the white. I think it's a little less vigorous and doesn't come back quite as much. (hm, purple again-anyone else see a trend here, lol!) I think it's recommended for beneficial insects but I don't feel like looking anything up today. Seems like I've seen it recommended, though.

aaagh! snow! Nooooooo... not in April, not here, anyway....

cough,,, if anyone has ever wondered if the Park's giant nasturtiums really get big, here's mine from '09. This is the very back of my yard behind the garage near the pot ghetto (and plant graveyard) The compost bin is made from pallets. By the end of the season it had grown all the way around the corner, across the path, across the cement pad, over the compost.....

Thumbnail by susybell
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Susybell, I love that pic! Those nasturtiums look pretty aphid free! And huge. The bigger the better, I say.

Coleus---I did the same as Springcolor last year. Moved my coleus out to an unheated plastic greenhouse (basically functioned as a coldframe) in May, and that was too early. They died back, but survived. The dieback worked out to be kind of like pinching them off, which you are supposed to do anyway. So they came back nice and bushy. Kind of a mistake that turned out okay. I rec holding off moving coleus out until June. That's my plan this year. The coleus take 9-10 days to germinate on a heat mat. A little longer than most things, but worth the wait.

Interesting on the alyssum. Probably will end up regretting planting out those 75 I started......We'll see next year, I guess! How late into summer do your alyssum bloom?

I was actually disappointed with the squash/pumpkin yield. I only got 1-2 squash per vine. There were pollination issues due to the cold wet June. (Oregon squash farmers actually are getting federal subsidies because the crop was so poor last summer). I might put some mason bee homes out there in a few weeks. I grew (in pic): Pacific NW giant pumpkin, hubbard squash, marina di chiogga squash, spaghetti squash (only got one which was weird), long island cheese squash, and jarrahdale. That big hubbard is still out in my garage waiting to be eaten. It's dehydrating fast right now, so I need to cook it up this week. I'm adding 5 or so more varieties of squash and pumpkin this year, and several types of gourds including all the weird ones and luffa (I think that's a gourd or something else). Last year it was too cold for my birdhouse gourds to come to fruition.

Trying Kong sunflowers this year. Kids will like those.

Lobelia seeds ARE tiny. Smallest I've ever used. They make poppy seeds look huge. How do they start as annuals---pretty good??? I love lobelia. I'm only starting 2 types of perennial lobelia---have never tried starting the annuals. I have 20 cardinal lobelia 'Queen Victoria' started---growing really well in 3 and 1/2 pots---pretty maroon foliage! And giant blue lobelia are still in the seedling tray.

Thanks for the comments on the boys. They sneak their way into lots of garden pics, and it was the only pic I could find of my coleus. Definitely going to take more photos this year of my plants. Fewer kid photos, more plant photos, ha ha!

The poppies aren't supposed to like their roots disturbed, so that's why they aren't rec'd to start indoors. peony poppies, papaver rhoes, somniferums, all have been fine for me. I start them in a seedling flat. These are the only seedlings I thin to one per cell b/c of the root disturbance issue. Then I use a spoon to gently scoop them out and move them into 3 and 1/2 inch pots when they are ready. Then transplant them outdoors when they are ready like anything else. I don't use heat mats on poppy seeds, just room temp. I cold moist stratified my himalayan blue poppies first, but everything else just room temp. 19 out of 34 himalayans are growing. Still very tiny.

Kosk, I start the annual lobelia as early as I can get around to it, on heat. They take about 10 days to germinate and they seem to mature very slowly for me. I wonder when the growers start them.........I just sprinkle seeds in a flat and always get what I think are too many by the time it comes to transplanting them.
Here is what I have done this year:
1-30 started Crystal Palace
2-06 started Cambridge Blue
3-09 started trailing lobelia mix

Here are the trailing ones waiting to be transplanted. They are in the trays that fit 15 to a flat.
If I don't run out of seeding uumph, I plan to throw a few seeds of these trailing ones in each of my hanging pots too.

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl

Here are the tranplanted Crystal Palace today, seeded 1-30

And here are the Cambridge Blue, seeded on 2-6. They seem to have caught up to the Crystal Palace, or are perhaps more vigorous plants.

Wow! You guys have more patience than me and also more sun than me. I've tried growing coleus from seed and it's always been slow going. By the time they are ready to put out at my place, the season is half gone. I've also done cuttings and overwintered them, only to lose them to warm/damp conditions in the greenhouse. In the end, I buy them every year at a nursery in Tacoma. They generally have a decent selection and theirs are nice and full and lovely. Then, around the time mine would be ready, they mark them to half price, with their 'geraniums', and I go a little insane. Last year I was into the orange ones to pump up the foreground of the 'hot bed'. You can see them in this photo.

I also give up on trying to grow those beautiful amaranths. I have seeds from several varieties, but I don't have the 'touch' with them. I love them, but they do not love me or my yard.

I love the nicotiana, including the green varieties, and i plant that every year either in flats or in the ground. great filler plant.

I love dahlias, but I will not dig them up, so i go around and see what survived the winter and replace those that didn't make it.

What I finally decided I really loved is shopping for the small basket filler annuals at my local Fred Meyer. They have a good garden person and always have cool things. I can spend hours mixing and matching, then days doing the pots. Last year I picked up some short pink snapdragons and the bloomed until we had that hard freeze in november. They were glorious. I let them seed, but I don't have high hopes for that. I'll just buy more.

I plant annual poppies each year, then end up either covering most of the seed with mulch by accident, or weeding them out by accident. This year I hope to do better. I've marked them. I'll probably have thousands of them because I literally just threw handfuls of seed into certain areas.

Thumbnail by

Pixy, I specifically remember your use of red coleus, was it last year or two years ago?
Made a sensational statement in your gardens. I tried that last year but was not successful, probably due to the cold summer.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Pixy---that bed is GORGEOUS! I love those orange coleus---what a fabulous plant. Here is a question re: when you do the reverse with coleus---move them from outdoors to indoors: Do you have to pinch off their seeds/flowers for them to survive, or will they keep going regardless? (You can see in my October pic, they all had grown flowers/seeds by that point).

Sharon---your lobelia seedlings look great! Thank you for sharing those---I think I'll have to add annual lobelias to my seed starting routine next year.

Someone asked about what I had planted in the cradle planter next to the coleus. It's my absolute favorite planter---picked it up at Farmington Gardens (a good retail nursery in Beaverton area) 4 years ago, so I always try to have something going in it. Last year, I had my ranunculus that ended up blooming in summer in it. The pic is what it looks like just this morning. Popped alyssum in it so far. Around it there is a planter with Primula polyantha 'Hose in Hose golden' I picked up at Dancing Oaks. And my favorite projects my boys have ever made---birdhouses with succulent roofs.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Come to think of it, can anyone I.D. that horribly invasive groundcover visible in my above pic that came with my house? I can't get rid of it, and it ends up trying to cover my shade beds by mid summer. Big battle for me. Last year I actually dug down 8 inches and removed everything in those beds that was 8 inches deep, and re-did the entire beds, which was a ton of work and an expensive endeavor with all of the new plants. I thought I got it all, but low and behold, the whole bed was covered again a few months later. That kind of peeved me (would use a swear word here if this wasn't a public forum!!!!!)

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Here is a pic of one of my papaver somniferums 'Rose Peony' that I started maybe 6-8 weeks ago. It should transplant well. So it is possible to start them indoors.

If anyone ever wants to stop by to pick up some free things I've started from seed, please do! I love to share, and my only pre-req is that the person is a serious gardener, which of course---everyone on Dave's Garden is! I made the mistake last year of giving away tons of things to friends who are not serious gardeners.......only to hear this way too often: "Oh those plants you gave me died. I didn't water them." Talk about experiencing a dagger to the heart, while putting on a fake smile and saying, "Oh really? That's a bummer." As ya'll know, when you start something from seed, even a humble tomato plant, it is your child!!! That being said, I have way too many things started.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Lake Stevens, WA

Oh, I hate that too. People say they want plants then they take them home never to be toched again. I gave some heuchera to a person to put in her garden last spring. When I visited late July they were still in the 4 inch pots all brown.
That didn't go over to well with me. No more plants for that person!!

Then on the brighter side more people take them, grow them, love them. So when you find those people stick with them. Oh thats DG people!! I also have some old time friends that get plants from me. They take very good care of them.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Kosk, are you talking about the goutweed? Aegopodiium podragraria 'variegatum'. Most people hate it. I have embraced it as a wonderful filler below fruit trees. It is a bit...exhuberant.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Thank you, Deb---that is definitely it. Wow, impossible to get rid of upon reading. It is very pretty, and people actually compliment me on it. (The previous owner paired it with cranesbill geranium which works actually). It's just that it grows so rampantly that it gives the bed a very uniform bland look, when I am trying to get other things to stand out. (such as hostas---they really blend into the background of goutweed. I may have to switch over to all golden colored hostas. I have lots of varigated leaved ones, and they end up looking like large versions of the goutweed).

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

There ya go -- instead of waging battle, try to co-exist.

Sharon, that photo was two summers ago. I can tell because since then I have removed the rhododendron. Only took me 10 years to decide that. I don't remember bothering with coleus last year. Like you said, it was too cold. I hope this year is better.

Kosk, I love the birdhouses! Very cute and useful, too.

another annual I always buy is Asparagus fern, the kind people use in their houses. I love it in the garden, especially by the waterfall. Maybe I'll buy two this year.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I used an asparagus fern in a planter once, and it was nice and airy. I forget what else was in it. Good idea around water, I have a small plastic formed pond in my front yard that needs something behind it, that may just be the ticket.

Thanks for the asparagras fern idea, Pixy. I have three quite large plants in my greenhouse (too many, inherited one when Mom passed away) and will put one out by the koi pond this year. One of mine is several years old and too big to move anymore and sometimes creates babies in neighboring pots. Any babies will go out to permanent outdoor planters this year.

I wish they were hardy here. I put in some ornamental asparagus last year, though, and I see the little heads coming up so I know it made it through the winter. Another one I love is the purple tradescantia. I've bought that as an annual a couple of times. Actually, it looks great with the asparagus fern.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Tradescantia is a prennial for me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.