growing muscadines

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I want to get some muscadine plants, just a couple of them, and wondered if I need to get male and female plants or does it matter?

and then i'd like to know where I should get them at . a good reputable place, raintree.com doesn't have muscadines.

thanks in advance.

kathy

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Muscadines have 2 types "male" which are self-fruitful, and "female" which need a male for pollination.
The females usually make sweeter fruit. Though, Ison's Nursery has a Male (they named "Ison") which has a high sugar content. Almost all muscadines have seeds, but there is at least one variety that is seedless.
I ordered from Ison's Nursery (I bough 2yo plants) and I'm very pleased.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

thanks. I appreciate the help

Fern Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I recently acquired my first muscadine plant. It is one that is self-fertile called 'Triumph'. I only had the space for one, so I had to get a self-fertile one. I read a lot of good things about its vigor and fruit taste, but I will have to wait a while to confirm.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Carlos
Cowart

Know anything about these two brands of muscadines?

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

My Mom has a Carlos. It makes a bronze muscadine.
Click below to go to Ison's Nursery were they have lots of info in the varieties.

http://www.isons.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IN&Product_Code=Muscadines_Fem_Self_Fertile

Monroe, LA

I recommend Ison's also. Got 6 this winter, planted them late, poorly, and in a hurry and they survived despite me.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I just planted Black Beauty, Supreme and Isons male pollinator. The Black Beauty is supposed to be one of the best ever and the Supreme can get as large as Plums.

Lilburn, GA

Been ordering from Isom`s for years,
NEVERBEEN DISAPPIONTED

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Cowart is the black muscadine that is used as pollinator for a lot of others, green and black. Call where ever you plan to order from, Isom's?) and ask what you need. It's not rocket science. I don't have a clue if muscadines will grow in Arkansas. Hopefully they will know. Muscadines grow wild in my back yard so I bought cultivated ones to get bigger fruit.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

LOL, I bought a bag of grapes from a guy with a road side stand and liked the taste so I just grew my vines from seeds. Maybe 10 years ago now, no idea what they are exactly but they taste good.

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm too old to wait for seedlings to sprout and grow into producing vines. I gain probably 2 or 3 years by purchasing rooted ones from a nursery. The last place I lived I actually did plant scuppernong seeds and got about 50% to 70% sprout as I recalled - then I moved.

Unfortunately, I forgot to check the Watchdog list and bought my vines from a different company a year ago last Sept. rather than Isoms. I bought 2 different Muscadine varieties - 1 died, the other (fortunately the Cowart) is growing. I bought 3 seedless bunch grapes; only 1 is alive, doing well now.

Paul

This message was edited Jun 5, 2011 11:17 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.