has anyone grown mimosa before (acacia dealbata)

cambridge md, MD(Zone 7a)

Couple years ago I acquired some seeds of Acacia Dealbata. The first try was a complete failure the company that sold the seeds forgot a small detail, the seeds are to have boiling water poured over and let soak for 12 hours. This I found out on the net and it does work, all the seeds that I started sprouted and now I have about 15 future trees that will be growing to about 15 feet if I let them. They need some protection for the winter how much I am not sure . I figure if I can grow Carolina Jasmine along side of my house, and now I have some Spanish moss that survived the winter I am almost sure that maybe the Acacia will make it too.

picture of seedlings

Thumbnail by orchidfancy
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2499/

Well you can keep a couple in pots for the first winter at least, maybe even the second, and bring them inside? You have a lot to play with there.

Anyone interested in mimosa?

Thumbnail by orchidfancy
Central, VA(Zone 7b)

What a pretty plant. We have pink mimosa trees here, and the hummers go wild over them, as do the swallowtail butterflies. Yours are very attractive.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

baby trees! they're adorable. I don't think they'd make it here, even on the protected side of the house.. we're just a nudge colder than your zone... things that overwintered in Burtonsville (50 miles away, near DC) don't quite make it here.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

My Mom used to have a mimosa Tree (right here in Baltimore) and it was almost a curse!
So many seeds growing out on her lawn and ditch! All self-seeded.

I didn't think one needed any special care to have these sprout! They just DO!

I did NOT know there were yellow Mimosas!!!! Only the pink ones.

Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm pretty sure orchid's yellow mimosa is a different species. My pink mimosa self-seeds like mad also... but it was the one tree Jim requested that I include in our landscape plan, so there you have it. LOL

Gitagal this is not the pink Mimosa tree that you find all over the place. The pink mimosa is barely related to the Acacia Dealbata which come from Australia originally and also called a mimosa. This mimosa does not like the cold temperatures that we have here unless they are really protected . I figure that I give it a try since I do well with other things that require warmer winters. Like crinums, elephant ears, Carolina jasmines and cannas that are taking over my front yard.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Orchidfancy---

Care to root some cuttings of the Acacia and bring them to the Plant Swap?

Gita

Right now they are 1" seedlings and l am ready to put them in individual pots sometimes this coming week. I will bring you one at the plant swap.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.