What Spring wildflowers are blooming now in your area?

North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

I can see oodles of 'Pretty Face' about to bloom. The neighbors all call them golden stars, but I discovered this name and I like it!
They are Triteleia ixioides and grow wild in the open spaces in our woods.

What's blooming where you are?

Thumbnail by suewylan

ceanothus, blue dicks(wild hyacinth) elderberry, cucumber vine

North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

I've seen or have the first three, but cucumber vine...I'll have to look that up! We're getting rain today (Thursday). Anyone else?

called it by the wrong name, dg lists it as wild cucumber

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/133461/

North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

Wow, that is a really unusual plant...the flowers are pretty and the pods...weird!

rain has not hit here yet but the sky sure looks like its coming. we did get rain yesterday

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Asarum shuttleworthii

Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I have dandelion, Henbits,violets and small white daisy like flowers.
Vickie

North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

Sherman, we are still getting snow. Will spring ever come for us or is this to be a rainy soggy spring? Hope there are May flowers...

Greenthumb, Are those little flowers at the base of the asarum? Is that also called wild ginger.

Cando, that sounds sweet. Yellows are whites.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Suewyln - yes, odd little leathery flowers that lay right on the ground, and is commonly known as one of the "wild gingesr". I also have A. canadense and A. virginicum, but they are not currently in bloom.

North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

That is so cool, Greenthumb! I have heard of an Asarum that grows well in California, A. caudatum. I'd like to try it so I'll have to keep my eyes peeled! This makes me wonder what kind of ginger it is that grows the ginger root that you eat...

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Spring Beauty

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Virginia Bluebells

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Dutchman's Breeches

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Squirrel Corn

i also have this growing but i dont know what it is.

Thumbnail by
North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

The sight of Virginia Bluebells make me gasp! The stage just before they bloom is pretty, too.
The foliage is so lovely on the Dutchman's Breeches, it seems familiar to me somehow.
It reminds me of foliage on California poppies!

5 minutes later....
Huh, these all looked so similar the Squirrel Corn and Dutchman's Breeches that I looked them up and they are related to the poppy family! hahaha Great photos!

Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

the bluebonnets are in bloom now...some are pretty much over with, others are at their peak! We will soon have the Indian Paintbrush blooming & mixed with the bluebonnets it's a stunning view!!

Thumbnail by cindylove
North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

Hi Cindylove, We have lupine similar to your bluebonnets. I like the name bluebonnets better! hahaha It's interesting how many times wildflowers are in combinations of blue and orange, and purple and yellow, both opposite colors on a color wheel. Like Mother Nature knows what she's doing to make the brightest view!

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Cindy, I miss the Texas bluebonnets and Indian paint brushes. They will not grow up here. We used to drive the roads looking at wild flowers. Texas seems to have the most beautiful ones.
Vickie

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Wild blue phlox

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

night shot

Thumbnail by jmorth
North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

Wow, jmorth, beautiful phlox. What a nice wildflower to have close by!

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks suewylan...also, ferns near by-

Thumbnail by jmorth
Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I have wild phlox but mine are a violet color. I've heard there are some white ones,but have'nt seen any.
Vickie

North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

The shooting stars are starting to appear in the woods around the place.

Thumbnail by suewylan
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

very cool

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Jack in the Pulpit

Thumbnail by jmorth
North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

Is that a seedling? It's just peeking out, isn't it? Cute!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Viola pedata var. bicolor - Bicolor Bird's Foot Violet. By far my favorite violet, keep a pot on our porch for easy viewing.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Stellaria corei (Stellaria pubera) - Star Chickweed (Tennessee Starwort), with Spring Beauties

Small white flowers are Stellaria media, Common Chickweed.

Edited to correct ID of primary flower.

This message was edited Apr 26, 2011 7:52 PM

This message was edited Apr 27, 2011 7:31 PM

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Drooping Star-of-Bethlehem, Ornithogalum nutans, naturalized locally in woods and fields.

This message was edited Apr 26, 2011 8:01 PM

North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

Bicolor Bird's Foot Violet! What a lovely thing that is...and the foliage is so ferny and different than regular violets.

I've been weeding chickweed out of my beds, hahaha, but the Giant is much nicer!

I've never seen Drooping Star-of-Bethlehem. It's wonderful, cool and green. All these are lovely, greenthumb99.

Just saw the first Rose Globe Lily, Calochortus amoenus today. I love these ephemerals...they're here so fleetingly.

Sue

Thumbnail by suewylan
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Dame's Rocket

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Camassia

Thumbnail by jmorth
North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

Wow, jmorth, that Dame's Rocket is beautiful even before fully bloomed out. Great photo! I hadn't known much about the lovely Camissia, until doing research for an article on Lewis and Clark's plant discoveries. It's a fascinating part of American plant history. If anyone is interested, it's on my blog... just search for Lewis ...or Clark. :-)

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks suewylan.
Jack in the Pulpit -

Thumbnail by jmorth
North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

Oh my, how wonderful to see the Jack in the Pulpit in the wild!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Smilacina racemosa - False Solomon's Seal

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Smilacina stellata - Starry False Solomon's Seal

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.