From Buds to Flowers, Let's see Yours

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Yippie! Thanks Carolyn, please post and share yours when they in bloom this season. Thanks.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

My friend, the former DG Rose Queen, Zuzu, grows Proteus in Sebastapol, California and gets both doubles and singles.

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

I get mostly singles on my Proteus, but they seem to almost glow, so I don't mind. :)

This is a picture of my very first Proteus bloom, a couple of years ago. Looks a lot like the one you posted above!

This message was edited Apr 19, 2011 4:42 PM

Thumbnail by Bookerc1

That is so stunning!

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Mine can't decide what to do.

Thumbnail by venu209

I must have the ugliest Proteus ever seen! Depressing.

Thumbnail by pirl
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Venus, yours is one and a half. Where as Arlene is really 'undecissive' lol. I like them all the same.

Athens, PA

Proteus and Violet Charm bloom with the peonies.. something I had not planned on happening.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Whoa! That's another gorgeous combo! Carolyn, I've some Peony blooming now, so they can correllate pretty well.

Athens, PA

Kim

thank you - I got lucky on that one.

Beautiful combination, Carolyn!

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Pirl, give it a few days! My mom had a blue clematis that was supposed to be very double, and at first, it just looked deformed and weird. She was ready to pull it out, thinking it might be diseased, but went out one morning and a lot more had opened up. It turned out to be really beautiful, despite its homely beginnings! I can't remember the name; it looked similar to Crystal Fountains, but had Blue in the name.

Love the peony/clem combination. I have about 25 peonies (all oldies that were here when we bought the house), and only 6 clems. I would love it if mine bloomed together!

Thanks for the encouragement, Bookerc1, but I planted it almost five years ago.

Could 'Blue Light' be the one you're thinking of that reminded you of Crystal Fountain?
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=695

Wow! 25 peonies is a lot. None of them bloom at the same time as your clematises?

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Yes, I think Blue Light was it! She sent me a picture, asking what I thought was going on with it, and then a couple of days later, sent another to show me that all was well after all. :)

Does your Proteus always bloom like that? Mine is generally single, though some of the posts here have given me hope that it may double some day. I think it needs to be in a sunnier location. It is on the north side of our garage, and I thought it would look stunning with the fuchsia rose already on that trellis. It is still young and in the "creep" stage, though. I keep hoping it will decide it really does like to be there, and take off!

Both of the Blue Light clem's died on me last year - brand new and not from the typical clematis sellers. They were pathetic plants so their deaths weren't shocking.

Proteus blooms both double and single but it's the dreary color of mine that annoys me.

Will you be moving your Proteus this year?

I just finished layering 'Tibetana'.

Forsyth, IL(Zone 5a)

I planted this jackmanii in 2009, and it has gone wild. It's beautiful next to the yellow oriental lilies.

Thumbnail by Donne51
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ummm, that maybe mislabelled, they look more like Horace Young to me. My Jackmanii is a deep shade of purple with maroon stamens. Flowers are more compact.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

As one wave of Clems. faded. A new wave is about to open;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

One of the last blooms of 'Ville de Leon' for now. Roses are that of "Baby Blanket" shrub roses.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Donne51 - it's so gorgeous. I also doubt that it's Jackmanii but who cares with all those flowers?

Nice combo with the rose and the clem, Kim.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Arlene. Here is one lone 'Proteus' in the garden. sniff sniff*

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Just one? Is the the first of many to come or just that one for this bloom period?

May 2010

Thumbnail by pirl
Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, Pirl, that looks like it's about to explode in color! Can't wait to see more pictures!

My apologies - that's from last year!

Louisville, KY

Claire de Lune ....one of my favorites. The blooms are small on this as is the case with all my clems this year. I fertilized thme this spring with a scant handful of 46-0-0.

Thumbnail by timeinabottle
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

'Claire de Lune' is beautiful. What's the reason you've chosen high nitrogen but none potacium and phosphate, timeinabottle?

I'm curious, too.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hmmm, I don't remember this all white with green stripes clem. in this group planting. But here it's about to making its debut. 1st bloom in the group of multiple buds.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

'Dr. Rupel' and 'Baby Blanket' shrub roses. ' Ville de Lyon' peeks through in the background of the roses.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

For years, I call the purple/blue blooms of these clem. 'Jackmanii' but they are now looks shied from other's 'Jack'. Arlene, what is your thought on this? It's seen here with another of my 'Ville de Leon' (spelling?). A variegated hydrangea is to the left.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Some more of my version of Jack; This is planted in the back of the garden climbing up a saucer magnolia shrub.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Are you sure the white with green stripes isn't 'Henryi'?

My Jackmanii doesn't have the shape of yours, Kim. Can you get a close up of one of the flowers tomorrow? The shape of your flowers is SO much nicer!

It's 'Ville de Lyon' on the sites where I've been but I wouldn't doubt there are other spellings since it might have something to do with trade marks as it does with lilies so they use names like Dimension as well as Dimention but it's the same flower. In some stores, where Louise and I have bought it, the name on the package is 'City of Lyon'.

Love the 'Dr. Ruppel' with 'Baby Blanket' combination: perfect match. What a difference location makes. Look how dark my 'Dr. Ruppel' is!

Thumbnail by pirl

Jackmanii in my garden:

Thumbnail by pirl
Louisville, KY

I never fertilized my clems until this year. I sent my soil to Uof ky to be tested , and it came back high in K and P. Oddly this year the extension service gave no reading on nitrogen... I guess a new money saving approach. Instead they said that flower gardens use up nitrogen and that a quarter cup of nitrogen per hundred sq ft would be right for flower gardens. I did that for all of my garden , but in addition I put the extra N on my clems. My reasoning is/was that with all of those blooms and leaves clems had to be huge feeders. I am hoping that all that N will lead to more leaves which will put that extra energy back into the roots next year.

Very interesting idea. You'll have to let us know how it worked next year.

Louisville, KY

will do btw my dad decided he was going to make his fortune in chrysanthemums. We grew 3000 of them. He had me ring each planted cutting with a ring of ammonium nitrate and a ring of super phosphate. We grew some beautiful chrysanthemums.

Do you have any of those chrysanthemums?

Last year I used triple phosphate (or triple super phosphate) but the price had gone sky high so I won't be using it this year. I think it was $16.00 for a small bag of it.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

ammonium nitrate, is that an acidify-agent? Pleasre refresh my memory. super phosphate I understand will strenghthen and promote blooms. I used them on my wisteria exclussively to promote blooms and not the greenery growth. This year I tried superphosphate on some Canna that refused to bloom last year, and give them more sunlight to boost. This is all good discussion on gardening topic in general. I really appreciate you're sharing your experience timeinabottle.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Arlene, on regarding the white clem. I tend to think it's something "Moon" on its name? Can't rely on my rusty memory nowaday, lol. Could my purple 4-petals clems be durandii? I love your Jack. lol

Louisville, KY

I do wish I had some of them. I don't even have pics of them. The only one I can find that we grew was one called "baby tears" which bluestone carries. Oddly enough it was one that neither my father nor I liked. 1952 was a long time ago.

Lily-love ammonium nitrate is a fertilizer 36-0- 0 I think. Unfortunately it when combined with fuel oil makes a bomb... the one used By Timothy McVeigh. It is no longer available.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.