Few palms from last so Cal palm society meeting...

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

INcredible Garden!! San Diego county on tall hill overlooking many miles of county, on 2 or more acres of wonderfully landscaped property... sigh....

some royals and Coccothrinax barbadensis in the back yard...

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Kentiopsis pyriformis with nice new bronze leaf

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Gastrococos (Acrocomia) crispa with trunk... wow... in California??

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Encephalartos longifolius blue (badly photographed, sadly)

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Dypsis tsaratananensis

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Dypsis florencei (paludosa)

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

nice Dypsis baronii with scarlet red bud

Thumbnail by palmbob
noonamah, Australia

Those look great.

That first photo looks like it's got quite a mix in there, maybe even an Arenga just on the left. Not overly keen on the Royals, I've got one about that size and a few a bit smaller in a clump. The fronds, when they drop, a very large and flatten things underneath.

Red (or bronze) emergent fronds are a favourite of mine. Will have to look at getting a Kentiopsis pyriformis.

I have a palm with spines like Gastrococos crispa, but the spines run right up the back of the fronds. Forgotten its name, will have to look it up. Mine's still only a pup compared to that one.

Encephalartos are few and far between here, I wouldn't mind growing some. There's quite a few very attractive species.

The trunk on Dypsis tsaratananensis looks similar to D. madagascariensis, the fronds definitely not.

Really like the red on the Dypsis florencei contrasting with the yellowy colour and green lower down. That deep red is the same as on some of the Cyrtostachys renda

The Dypsis baronii does look a lot like a green trunked Golden Cane.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

There are hundreds more to show, but it was a hard garden to photograph (things too tall and crowded, as so many older palm gardens get).

Cyphophoenix nucele

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Very unusual palm to see in any garden... Desmoncus orthacanthos... a south American rattan species. Not a looker, but unique.

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Dypsis pilulifera (normally has a brilliant orange crownshaft, but colors like that so muted in arid climates it seems... you can see the orange barely peeking out in the brand new crownshaft). This palm is huge for California... I know of no other trunking ones.

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Pritchardia beccariana (huge specimen for California)- hard to photo as this was the only available angle, unless you have a helicopter)

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

This Syagrus botryophora is over 35' tall... tallest in California by a long shot (and out of range for good photos)

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Acanthophoenix rubra another super rare plant (most have Acanthophoenix crinita)

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Acrocomia aculeata

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Aiphanes aculeata (hard to grow at all, even less to grow one over 25' tall and looking perfect.. and flowering)

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

and Aiphanes minima not supposed to be able to grow here at all... and this is 20' tall... amazing

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

may not look like much, but Arenga undulatifolia is another species supposed to be impossible to grow here... admittedly, it is growing very slowly, but it looks pretty good.

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

and to me, the most amazing palm (though one of the saddest looking) is this 15 year old plus Borassus flabilifer.. only 3' tall, but alive which is more than I can say for all the other attmepts at growing this palm in southern California

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Brahea armata not a rare palm, but looks great in tropical setting like this

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

a not-so-impressively sized Coccothrinax borhidiana... but a very hard palm for most of So Cal people to grow... incredibly slow. this could be the largest in California (unless someone has cheated and driven one out from Florida).

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

there are a pair of Coccothrinax in the middle of this picture showing the age of the garden (takes a long time for any Coccothrinax to get that size in California... usually close to 50 years... and garden is NOT 50 years old, so these are growing pretty fast for California... still slow by Florida standards I think).

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

nice Dioon califanoi

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

best grown Dypsis affinis I have seen

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Dypsis leptocheilos x cabadae (I think cabadae)... 20' tall or more. Nice plant!

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Dypsis plumosa (what used to be sold as Dypsis ambositrae)

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Encephalartos dyerianus... very large, older specimen.

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Encephalartos hildbrandtii coning... a rarity

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Encephalartos laurentianus coning... super rarity in this part of the world

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

enormous pair of Encephalartos turneris, one coning... just about unheard of outside of AFrica

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

last shot for now... here you get a feel for how the owner's garden hillside looks, covered with wooden bridges, huge rocks, tall plants and steep grade.

Thumbnail by palmbob
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Great show, Palmbob. Thanks.

Jim

Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 10a)

We missed this one :( Maybe they will invite us back again before too long. Have heard some terrific things about this garden.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

SAdly he only tends to show his garden off once a decade or so... if you get to get sooner, don't miss the opportunity.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

Fantastic Images. My Fave of these... (Hard to Choose) Gastrococos (Acrocomia) Ty for sharing.
I once lived in San Diego......Sadly I was too young to remember it at all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.