Scented Shade Plants for Containers?

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I have a shaded porch that I plant containers on, and usually just end up doing impatiens. I'd really like to add something with a pretty scent. Ann suggestions?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Have you ever checked out primrose? I got some for my shade garden but I have a feeling once the intense heat and humidity hit here, they'll be goners. But in your area, they may do very well. They have a very nice scent, kind of like roses. And there are different varieties, some pink on long stems, some vivid multicolored low to the ground. Check them out!

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Hosta's - several have fragrant blooms

if there is any bright shade (yes I know oxymoron lol) Neemsia Innocence is divine

Lemon Balm for citris scent

Lily of the valley for early spring, gardenia for late spring...

hope this helps :)

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Bariolio - actually our summers here are very hot AND dry - I live on the east side of WA - we don't get the rain and cooler weather like Seattle does. I have neighbors who have primroses - but they are early spring only here and die off rapidly. I didn't know they were fragrant!

rednyr - I am looking into getting a gardenia - I can bring it indoors in the winter time. I used to have one, years, but it didn't live through my move. I do love their scent. So sad I can't put out a Brugmansia - those have the most heavenly scent, but just not enough sun for them..... poooie!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Gee, I'm trying a Brug in my shade garden and the vine is growing great. It made one flower last year, shortly after I planted it then winter came. I'll have to see if it'll bloom. If not, it's in a big pot that I can put elsewhere. Let us know what you end up putting!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The fall blooming Plantegen(?) hosta is fragrent. If you have containers these plants may be too big.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

karrie - a Datura may work...depends on if any bright indirect light involved...is so I'm willing to be it would work...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.