gourd art

Decatur, GA

I thought I would get this forum going a bit. Here is a gourd I dyed and carved several years ago. My choice is random.
How is the gourd group doing?
Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild
Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Most of the gourds I do are painted or mod podged. I want to learn how to do woodburning on them as well as carvering.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I tried something different with my birdhouse gourd. I cut small pieces of material and use Mod Podge and made the gourd look like a crazy quilt. I'm working on another one that will look like Grandmother's Flower Garden and a lady wants me to do a Double Wedding Ring pattern on a gourd for her. Will post pictures after I finish them.

Crossville, TN

Here's one that my friend Rosemary brought to the Gourmet' Gourders meetinglast week. She uses long pine needles. She is very talented. Jo

Thumbnail by roadrunner
Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Beautiful gourds! I've been kind of on hiatus for a while, but hopefully will be participating more. I have a woodburned gourd I'll take a picture of; it's not quite finished but I think it's pretty.

Crossville, TN

Waiting for it! Jo

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Playing with decorating gourds.
My Crazy quilt gourd.

Thumbnail by marti001
Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

And Butterflies!

Thumbnail by marti001
Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I grew birdhouse gourds a couple years ago. Am now ready to make them into birdhouses for holiday gifts.
Any tips for drilling the hole? Perfect size opening?

Crossville, TN

You will find charts on line as to the size hole for the birdsyou wish to attract...they all differ. Jo

Center, TX

Hi all, I too love to paint on gourds. I paint realistic flowers and birds among other things. So glad we now have a new thread. Alday

Crossville, TN

Alday, Pictures please...we love looking at other's work. Jo

Center, TX

I plan to show pictures, but I don't know to post them. When my daughter comes to see me, she can show me. Thanks for the interest. alday

Crossville, TN

Waiting for pictures!! This thread is a year old and needs some action....LOL Jo

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Some pictures of gourds I've decorated for birdhouses.

Thumbnail by marti001 Thumbnail by marti001 Thumbnail by marti001 Thumbnail by marti001
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Those are so pretty!

Crossville, TN

Marti, I like those....especially the last one...is it decopodged? sp Jo

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

This makes me ache to get back out into the garage and start working on my gourds! The weather is perfect, so I just need to do it.

Crossville, TN

You go girl!! Jo

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

roadrunner, yes I used docopodge on this one. I had some small pieces of material lying around and gave it a try. I have also used paper napkins that I've found with flowers on them or butterflies or birds etc. Everytime I go into a Party Store I look for napkins that I can work with. I'm teaching a class of decopodge to my grandson's pre-school class on April 11th. Should be interesting!! 14, 4-5 year old kids, decopodge and gourds.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Im a Slacker and I know it! After having lost so many of my gourds ,( way back) I kind of gave up on them. but now Id really like to start back on them again! this forum gave me the "urge" to get started. .....and since Jo is going to be visiting Georgia again....well I guess I had better get going!!!!!

Crossville, TN

I think I will try that fabric thingy...I have never decompodged anything though. Jo

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Good for you. I put a thin coat of decopodge on the gourd, apply the material and than smooth it out with more decopodg after it drys I spray the whole thing down with clear acrylic sealer, gloss or matte, your choice and that seals it so it can go outside.

Crossville, TN

Thanks! That was my next question. LOL Jo

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

One thing I do recommend to people about this gourds outside. If you want them to last a really long time than when the birds move out in the fall, take down the gourds, clean them out and let them hang in a dry place like a garage for a few days. Sometime before spring, give them another coating of the sealer, let dry and air for a week than put them out again for the birds. It will make your birdhouse gourds last longer.

Crossville, TN

Thanks for the good idea. Jo

Selinsgrove, PA(Zone 5b)

A few things I've done over the years.

Don

Thumbnail by DEMinPA Thumbnail by DEMinPA Thumbnail by DEMinPA Thumbnail by DEMinPA Thumbnail by DEMinPA
Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Those are great! Good job Don! I've been base painting mine a very pale blue. I'll have to try doing some white and see how it turns out.

Heres another of my material covered gourds.

Thumbnail by marti001
Crossville, TN

Don....I love all of them...especially the Old Hen!

Marti....I must try the fabric....just as soon as I getaroundtuit! Jo

Decatur, GA

I am very glad to see this forum open again. I noticed it wasn't around awhile ago and when I inquired I was told there had not been enough activity to keep it open. So yeah for the new activity. Lets keep it going.
I have my gourd seeds and will be setting them out soon.
Helen

Crossville, TN

That's what I was told also...so all we have to do is keep it ACTIVE and our Melody will keep it open. i think it will be open to non-subscribers, so we may get some NEW BLOOD. LOL Jo

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

Hello all, I am so glad you are here in a recent thread. I really want to grow some gourds for my own use in birdhouses and art projects. I have a little experience with flowers and veggies from seed. Will a new kid like me have any success with gourd growing? Any pointers before I take the plunge and soak the seeds tonight? I plan to start them inside and transplant to a low hillside that gets lots of sun. Also, the photos of gourd art have been so inspiring! Every pic is better than the last. Oh, The Toad Abode is great!

Crossville, TN

Confessions from a "brown thumb".....If I can grow gourds...ANYONE can grow gourds!~

I lover starting seeds in side...but when I transfer them to the ground I loose lots of them. I was able to grow some gourds and louffas.....so if you even have a slight green tint to your thumb you'll do great!!

Where is Newport, TN...I'm coming to TN the last of May.

Selinsgrove, PA(Zone 5b)

A few more.

Don

Thumbnail by DEMinPA Thumbnail by DEMinPA Thumbnail by DEMinPA Thumbnail by DEMinPA
Crossville, TN

WOW!! Do you sell your gourds?

Marti has seen this one on another website///but here is the one I made last fall.

Thumbnail by roadrunner Thumbnail by roadrunner
Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the encouragement. Newport is in east TN between Knoxville, TN and Asheville, NC. I love it here, Moved here after 5 years in NYC and never looked back! Spent time in CA high desert as a kid, so AZ sounds great.
So, I have 10 seeds each of dipper, bottle or birdhouse, and a generic 'round' soaking. I nicked each on the long side of the seed. Should I use garden dirt, potting soil or seed starting mix? Will a solo cup work ok or something bigger? can you tell i am overeager for this to work? The word mollycoddle comes to mind! haha. But really.
g'night all.

Crossville, TN

I used potting soil...just remember they take lots of watering until they are about ready to harvest.....I like to let mine dry on the vine....I love the Swan gourds as well as Apple Gourds Heck...I LOVE all gourds. Jo

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

Morning!
OK, seeds are in dirt.....i guess i will be spending alot of time with my nose perched on edge of cups...waiting. Although I can fill in the gaps by coming here and admiring the art everyone posts. yay!

Decatur, GA

I usually put the seed directly in the garden. Transplanting is tough on the seedlings. Now the exception would be if you live in the north and have a short growing season. Gourds take along time to grow so you need to consider how long your growing season is as to whether you should start the seeds early inside.
Does anyone know how to increase the thickness of the gourd shell while its growing? I have heard that gourds grown in the east are never as thick as ones grown out west. Maybe certain types of fertilizers? More water? Less water?
I have grown a lot of gourds but it has been hit and miss on the quality of the shell.
Thanks for all or any growing tips anyone has.
Helen

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Up in MD a couple years ago, I bought 1 bird house gourd plant in a 4" pot. Planted it next to the trellis in my veg garden. Basically ignored it. Well it went up the 6' trellis then latched on to the fence. Luckily my neighbors & I are friends. One day they asked what I was growing on their side of the fence.

In the end I had over 50 gourds - all rather large. Had to go into their yard to harvest 20 of them!!!!

I tied cord to the stems and hung them in every conceivable spot in my garage over the winter.

So, beware of how many plants you really "want".

This year I'm trying loofa in FL.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.