Berries & Veggies Good in Shade? Berries & Holly Problem?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Are there any raspberries that do well in the shade? Blueberries? The area I have to plant them in is next to a porch and faces north and west. There is some sun, but not from the south or east, as the area is in a corner walls to both the east and south. If there are holly plants nearby, will that create a problem for either raspberries or blueberries?

I also have some earth boxes and hanging tomato planters that I could put on the porch wall facing north and west and along the west side of the house (even shadier)!. Are there any varieties of the following that might do well?

I am in Zone 6, fairly close to 5.

Strawberries
Green peppers
Eggplant (Black Beauty?)
Paste tomatos (Roma?)
White onions
Red onions
Red potatoes
Little sweet carrots
Celery
Green beans (bush)
Wax beans (bush)
Peas

Thank you.

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

I don't know about Earth Boxes, but I am growing peas and bush beans in a shade plot this year--just planted them last week, in fact. They are supposed to do okay in shade here, so they would probably be good where you are too. Eggplant and pepper need full sun where I'm at. I'm putting mine on my driveway in pots.

Good berries for shade are gooseberries, currants, and blackberries.

Raspberries need to be planted as far away as possible from other plantings only because of their growth habits. They do tend to spread out both underground and above ground. Not as well-behaved as blueberries.

Fairfax, VA(Zone 7a)

Wineberries, a kind of Japanese raspberry, do very well in shade. Tried them out on a trip to the Edible Landscaping nursery and was really impressed. Plantfiles says they'll handle through zone 6a.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

wineberries, Rubus phoenicolasius, are on the Federal List of Invasive Plants- States affected are CT, CO, DC, MA, MD, NC, NJ, NY, PA, TN, VA, WV.
I have personal experience trying to remove wineberries from a local preserve, nasty stuff and very persistent.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Wild blackberries spread rampantly around here, including shady woodland. They bear bruit even in shade. I'm not sure if they're different from the 'wineberries' above? I had an unpleasant time getting rid of the thorny mess; and still have to be vigilant with new seedlings popping up, likely courtesy of our feathered friends.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Weerobin, wineberries have bristley reddish "fur" along the canes. It makes them easy to spot and painful to pull.
I encountered them in a sunny, grassy (weedy with every invasive you can think of) area at the edge of a woodland.
They were spread through out an acre. Japanese stilt grass was the most prevalent plant. You can just imagine the mess and the ongoing cleanup.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I've never run across them, thank goodness.
My plain old blackberries are enough of a nuisance.

Has anyone planted edibles this season in any amount of shade? Was curious to see what the results are. Tried spinach but I didn't direct sow it and I don't think it liked the transplanting bit. My tomatoes plants do have some fruit and am hoping with this nasty hot weather that they'll ripen soon. Of course, the hot weather will also mean that the flowering will slow down.

New York, NY(Zone 7a)

I had no idea wineberries were non-native. I had been calling them "sparkleberries" for the way the drupelets glitter among the reddish hairs - very different from typical cultivated raspberries - but perhaps that's a different plant. I've seen them in central New Jersey (and picked them; they froze beautifully), at a rest area along the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut, in Nassau County, Long Island, and in Forest Park, Queens. (They're easy to tell at a distance when the new stems appear, with their red fuzz, and again in fruiting season and just after, when each picked or fallen berry leaves a pale orange star behind. Of course, New York was settled by Europeans and our weeds four centuries ago, and it's hard to tell native plants from "foreign" plants that have only been here since the 1630s.

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Sorry I'm late reading this, but my garden is shaded by trees on the southeast so it gets only about 4 hours of direct sun a day. Sounds like your garden but still it does yield some veggies.

Strawberries- Yes, but the birds often get them before I do.
Green peppers-- Yes but they mature a little later than those grown in earthboxes in the sun.
Eggplant (Black Beauty?)-- My eggplants do much better in the sun. As do broccoli and BrussSprouts.
Paste tomatos (Roma?)-- Cherry tomatoes do better in the shade than full sized ones, but this year I have a Beefmaster variety which is producing some fruit, though not as much as another in the sun.
White onions-- Maybe, but they don't grow as big as those in the sun
Red onions-- never tried
Red potatoes-- never tried
Little sweet carrots-- Yes
Celery-- never tried
Green beans (bush)-- Bush beans grow fairly well in shade, but pole beans are producing very well.
Wax beans (bush)-- Ditto
Peas-- Do very well in my part shade garden
Others-- Lettuce, Chives, Kale, Chinese cabbage, Parsley, Arugula, Basil and some Cucumbers all are doing quite well in my garden.
I have had four blueberry bushes (with hollies nearby) in another partially shaded location for 8 years and have yet to harvest enough to put on breakfast cereal. The birds all seem to strip the fruit before it is ripe even though I drape netting around the bushes!
Hope this helps.

Great info! I'm going to be editing a perennial bed this fall to make room for a few more veggies next year. We did have two large oaks taken out recently so the bed now gets sun from noon til almost sunset. Not full day sun but more than I was getting before. It's not a big space so I'll have to really edit my list. Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.