Grape Pruners?

Vancouver, WA

Hey everyone! Last year I pruned my grape plants (they were in their second year). That year one vine (the seedless concord) produced tons of grapes and ended up taking over half of my fence line. The other grape (a himrod) did not produce anything but grew in size...it was smaller than the other grape plant by quite a bit.

This year I realized I must have messed up the original pruning! My grape plants dont look like anything they have online and now I am at a loss as to how I should fix them. I've looked but I cant find anyone who specializes in grape pruning to fix my mistake. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look?

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

My grapes are grown on an overhead trellis, 5 varieties. I first cut off anything smaller than a pencil diameter, then trim back to 2 nubs from the main vine. I also try to prune out vines that are making a big mess (criss-crossing, sprouting 3-4 from same spot, etc.). I don't allow any side vines on the uprights. Throughout the growing season, I walk along the sides of the trellis and snip anything that is lower than my head - otherwise the vines would grow down to the ground (could be a cool look). I get a fair amount of grapes, more from the Concord than the others, although my arbor is more of a garden feature than a food source, so I don't worry if I have a poor grape year. Sometimes the birds eat most of them. I have no clue if this is the correct way to prune or not. Perhaps a vinyard person will respond. They certainly are an exhuberant plant, and I am guessing any pruning error can be easily corrected. Good luck.

Thumbnail by bonehead
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

No suggestions, but another grape question----I have 30, 1 year old vines (pinot noir, Dijon clones). I think they might be infected with a fungus due to the cold, wet spring----? Fuzzy white on the leaf buds, and the buds flake off easily. Or is this normal? I think I need to treat them with something (what?)......but have not had a single dry day in several weeks now. I've searched online, and can't find a name for this blight----so I'm hopeful that it is perhaps normal. (I doubt it). Vineyard people----help!

Beautiful pic, Bonehead!!! I probably should have just stuck to table grapes. I mean, am I really going to be making wine from my backyard harvest? (That was the plan.....but I don't have time for any more hobbies, by golly.)

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

And bonehead--what's growing beneath the grapes underneath them in the pic? Pretty!

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Under the grapes are a bunch of different hardy geraniums. Low maintenance and they multiply readily. The mower keeps them under control. I'm considering adding some clematis at the base of each grape, idea stolen from a fellow DGer (I forget exactly who...)

Vancouver, WA

Thanks - I have te vines growing on some coated wires similar to the espalier trees only going up 6 ft or so. Got a lot of grapes but really would like to fix my mistakes before I'm stuck with it. I think I will have to call a landscaper...but I'm not sure how well they know grapes.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

DB, I think I would call or visit a couple vinyards to see if they might have some pointers. That is usually the way they grow grapes I think.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Or contact your local extension office. They have that type of information.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

A Master Gardener perhaps?

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Yes, for seven years. I loved it but had to quit and take care of my mom and now my DH.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Willow, I unwittingly applied to be a MG about 3 years ago, thinking it was just another volunteer type thing. Years ago, I volunteered in the Master Canner program and thought it was a similar thing only geared to gardens. Boy was I in for an awakening! What a funny encounter that was - I figured I was going to an orientation of some sort, but instead found myself being interviewed by a table full of very serious folk, who were all likely wondering what the heck I was doing there. After about 10 minutes of awkward conversation, I politely excused myself as it was clearly a waste of everyone's time -- I was not able to commit to their stringent training, and had no idea what I might have to 'offer the program' (other than my time of course). I've since learned that it is rather a prestigious position, which of course explains the job-like interview process. I think I left them all scratching their heads. Kudos to you for being part of it.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

Bonehead---I am not a Master Gardener for various reasons I shall not go into. But, I think their organization is wonderful and clearly a help to many up and coming gardeners. They have clinics and websites and newsletters and infinite information to help you. Our local one has classes twice a year to become a Master Gardener. I understand, extremely helpful and not at all scary. Maybe you should try one of their programs. I think you would like it. I am just too old now to get the full benefit (or to change my ways, tee hee) but wish I could have done it long ago.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

The chapter in my neck of the woods reminded me of Horticulture magazine -- a bit on the stuffy side.* Perhaps when I truly retire (I still work part-time from home and that has to take priority, something they were apparently not willing to work with). Plus I'm just more of a hermit, a day without leaving the homestead is a good day for me.

*No offense intended to anyone who might be involved in the Snohomish/Skagit MG program -- I'm sure there are wonderful fun loving gardeners involved, and I do admire the program.

This message was edited Apr 1, 2011 7:19 AM

Village of Port Clem, Canada

Dbower definitely visit a vineyard, the sample room will help you forget about your crummy pruning problems if nothing else!

I prune my grapes back to the main stem and one left and one right branch. It looks terrible in the spring, but they do V ERY well.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I agree bonehead. Some of the groups are stuffy. Just like any other type of group. But we had a real down-to-earth bunch and always had a good time.

enyaholt, your pruning ways sound good to me. I think they leave five nodes on each sideways stem.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

If you're willing to take a ferry, my aunt and uncle are involved with the master gardener program on the San Juan Islands. Definitely NOT a stuffy group. Sounds very casual.

Yay for our first 60 degree day the other day! Spring is finally here.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

kosk---Here in Coos Bay it has started to rain again. Yesterday it was spring though. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.