Need Advise Sweet Peas & Alpine Strawberries

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Greetings All,

I planted alpine strawberry seeds about one month ago. I didn't have any sand so I spread them as evenly as I could in a chicken rotisserie container. I covered them and voila they came up beautifully.
Problem is that I'm pretty sure they are now ready to go into (still small) individual pots. But because of their spacing I don't know how to get them out. The day I planted them I thought I had bookmarked a website showing how to "prick out" them out. Now I can't find the website.

Anyone with bright ideas or experience with "pricking out"

I started my sweet peas inside (I rent a garden space and knew I wouldn't be able to get it tilled and ready early and etc.,) Now the sweet peas are growing and I recall reading that pinching them at a certain stage will cause them to bush out. (Another lost website:)

Thanks Much for Your Help!
Cheers!
Marlene

Thumbnail by Marlene4
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

You can use a fork

Aha!
A fork! Why didn't I think of that.
Thanks!
M

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

You're welcome

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

And Pick them up by a leaf- that way you don't crush the stems, and if one leaf breaks it is not fatal.

I've never pinched sweet peas. The flower ones or the eating kind?

Sallyg,
they are the flower kind. I read that pinching them makes them bush out.
I don't know if I can pick them up by leaf. They are so incredibly tiny!!
M

. Your picture of your seedlings shows them nicely spaced out. I would let them grow more before trying it.

Thanks Sally,
I think I will wait; mostly cause I'm scared to bother them. They are so very spaced; the picture is a close-up.
M

And , oh, I haven't grown " flower' sweet peas. I think I'd let them get several leaf joints before pinching, imagine you want them to have several branches . (I guess if they are sweet peas to eat they call them english peas = ^) ...)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I use a wooden skewer. Long, thin, pointy on one end, flat on the other. Chop Sticks are too fat. I can make tiny holes in the dirt to put seedling in and tap gently around a plant with the flat end. Some of my plant plugs come in flats that are just packed with seedlings and the pointy end can separate them pretty well you do have to be careful and picking them up by the seed leaves.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.