When should I give up on a blackberry vine?

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

A good 2 weeks ago I planted 2 blackberry vines -- the kind you get at TSC or the like, in a box -- and one has put on some very nice leaves. The other is still a stick. I fear I will run out of time and opportunity to replace it if I wait much longer, but (of course) I can't bear to pull it up if there is a chance it will suddenly start growing. It has little swellings, but it's had those for a long time.

Any suggestions? They're about 3' apart, and I've treated them the same, fed them with fish emulsion on planting. I water them regularly.

Thanks!

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Scratch the surface of the bark with a knife. If it is still green underneath, it is still good. Some of mine were late this year.

Remember, Blackberries like a well-drained soil and are not very fond of a high ph.

Good luck!

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

We live in a hot dry area. When we first planted blackberries they did not prosper. I started thinking about where I have encountered them growing wild and that was the answer. I put a drip line on them 24/7 and they now grow like weeds and produce lots of good berries. The soil is always wet and sometimes puddled. Right now our blackberries are covered with white blossoms. Don

This message was edited Mar 24, 2011 10:38 AM

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks -- I'll give it a little while longer. I've cut it back and the center was green, and I've tugged on it and the roots have definitely taken. I just want berries NOW.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Have you tried motivational speaking? I do that at my orchard all the time.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

LOL!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, just in case y'all are interested... It didn't seem to matter how much I watered, it just stayed a stick. THEN IT RAINED. I now have a live blackberry there! YAY RAIN!!!!!

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

Bridgidlily, If you look back you will see that I posted advice that blackberries prefer lots and lots of water. You will recall I said I drip water mine 24/7. Prior to doing this mine were barely alive. Now they grow like weeds and I get a lot of berries. Don

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.