bench grafted apple trees

Lake Elsinore, CA

I just planted 10 trees. I don't know anything about trees. LOL

They are taped at the graft. What happens to the tape? Does it eventually come off on it's own or what?

Gawd, I sound dumb, don't I?

Lake Elsinore, CA

I found the answer, the tape stays on and a sprig of a tree should start growing out of the top of the taped area. Voila! Instant apple tree.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Are you talking about the tape around the graft point or parafilm tape that goes around the scion. You should never let anything grow around the graft point. Only growth on the 2-3 buds above the graft point should be allowed to live if it is newly grafted in the last few weeks.

Did you just graft these or buy them? Were they recently grafted?

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

jujube, A lot of grafters cover the whole graft and the scion completely with parafilm. The scion bud will just grow right through it. Even the tape can be left on as it will eventually deteriorate and fall away. Unless you have written info. on the tape, about the tree, that you want to copy and transfer to a tag.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I think that was pretty much what I was saying but Pugzley didnt mention if it was the parafilm tape or the grafting tape.

Lake Elsinore, CA

It looks like just the part where they taped it together to hold the graft has tape on it. These trees are at least a year old, maybe more. I got them from Kuffel Creek in Riverside,CA.

I hope they all take, I really, really want apples! :)

thanks for the replies! I appeciate it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.