Have you started any seeds?

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Wilkieput, Loon is right.....you will have Chinese Lanterns all over the place and you will be cursing the day you planted them. I planted some seed over 6 years ago...and they still come up....or try too, but I nip those babies in the bud before they even have a chance. I can't get rid of them....

Deann

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I'm with Deann and Brenda cl's and fava lilys oh and violets I wish some one would have shook me !!!!!
Gloria

Traverse City, MI(Zone 6a)

I try to start several types of tomatoes, and a few types of peppers, a couple kinds of cucumbers, some celery, some cabbage, and a couple watermelons, as well as petunias, snap dragons, prunella freelander and heather.

I think I killed my tomatoes in the hardening off and planting process, the peppers are trying hard to make it through the freezes we have had the past two nights, the watermelons are still small, but the little troopers look like they may be okay. The cucumbers both varieties, either died or were eaten by something, because there were very few carcasses left over. I haven't been brave enough to try planting the snaps and petunias that are way over growing there plugs. The heather after 10 weeks is still green but under a 1/4 inch high; the cabbage and celery hasn't been plant but it is still green and really small. The prunella are about 2 inches high and full and dark green, not planted yet because they look so healthy I am afraid to kill them like I did my previously healthy tomatoes.

I am hopeless, seed starting kits and grow lights and expensive Park's seeds and I have precious little to show for it. I suck:-(

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

buck up girl summer WILL be here soon I have a lot of things that need to get potted up will do that after work but to day is weeding day love it when its cool out -not so much when it gets HOT ;0)
Gloria

Thanks Gloria, Yeah, I got some squash and new cucumber seeds in today. Haven't got all the weeding done, but did get rid of a bunch of left over leaves. I think sometime between yesterday's and this morning's yard work I managed to sunburn my nose, so at least the tomatoes aren't alone.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Some types of plants don't mind being set out in cold soil and can take a "light" freeze. These types of plants are onions, leeks, cabbage, greens, brussel sprouts, etc. Some plants like warm soil. These will be things like tomatoes, peppers, pumpkins etc. The soil must be at least 55 degrees or they will either die or sit and shiver and be in shock.

Does anyone watch Mark Torragrosso on channel 25 here in mid Michigan? He has the weather garden and gives advice. He said yesterday it is now safe to plant out tomatoes etc. He evidently doesn't think we will get a late freeze. I' m not so sure. I don't plan to plant my tomatoes or peppers out till it's good and hot. They suffer less shock and actually do better if you don't freeze them to death before they get a chance to get rooted into the soil.

Too many years I've jumped the gun and planted out too early and then had to do the mad dash to cover everything up with a late freeze and wind up getting frost damage or worse.........lose the plant. I put too much time and effort and money into these plants. I can easily keep them under lights or harden them off in the garage till it's more safe temperature wise. During the day I lift the garage door open so they get light and air then close it when we let the chickens out to freen range. They like to eat my plants. :)

Many things I direct sow into the garden. Beans and cucumbers are two that come to mind. They germinate really quickly and don't like to be moved so do better when sown right into the soil. I direct sow the pumpkin seeds and some other squash seeds as well.

Well, I did jump the gun this year, partly because we had such a long warm spell in April that I just got excited. I have a small area for planting and for seed starting, mobile home no garage. Anyway I planted in straw bales and they were about 65' by the thermometer that I poked in before planting. There is always next year if this one flops:-)

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Serena sounds like my house LOL the second bed room is now the computer / plant room ;0)
gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Today I received the 12 thornless raspberry plants I had ordered. We went ahead and planted them. I made sure I put them where they can spread and not be in the way of anything. We also planted the flat of broccoli and some self blanching cauliflower along with some swiss chard. I'm still holding off on planting the tomatoes till Memorial weekend. I looked ahead on Accuview weather and according to them we won't have any more nighttime temperatures in the 30's which is good. I hope they didn't make a mistake. :) We're supposed to warm up. Many places have to dry out some. I have old antique laundry tubs I fill with potting soil and plant up with different lettuces and greens for salads and scallions. I might plant up some radish in there too .

I'm glad we're planting a little at a time since it's hard on my husband's back. :) When it warms up and is dry I'll plant up my containers with flowers.

Dearborn, MI

Down here in the "south", I planted my tomatoes a couple of weeks ago with the intent of covering if I needed to. Hasn't been necessary, but with all the moisture and humidity, I have already had to spray with antifungal stuff. Such a weird year. Right now, the fog is so thick, I can barely see the neighbors.

We had that fog this morning too, it is funny sometimes how different and how similar the weather can be across Michigan at any given time. The tree trunks are green, the moss is steadily creeping its way across what is supposed to be my yard, and I am feeling like a nap already from the necessary Zyrtec:-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.