How soon can we direct sow flower seeds in our area?

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

I have no more room for more milk jugs; how soon can I direct sow flower seeds in our area? Columbines, Zinnias, portulaca are some of the ones I had in mind. Also do you think moonflowers will work in a large patio container that is at least 30 in. in diameter? I'd love to be able to move one of my clematis (Westerplatte)to another location. This will be the 3rd. year for it and let's put it like this, I'm not in love with it and are not pleased with its performance so far. Are clematis roots deep or spread out a lot? It's a Group 2 or B..

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I grew moonflowers in containers next to my railings last year. The containers were about 24 inches wide..

Thumbnail by RrrrrGrrrr

I wonder if I could plant it at the foot of my mailbox which is next to front door and if it will grow up and around the mailbox?

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

It might need some help to climb and attach. Mine needed a little help to start up the lattice and then it was ok.

This message was edited Mar 20, 2011 3:09 PM

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Beautiful RrrGrrr ! You're lucky down there with a longer season. Moonflowers can bloom pretty late here if one's not careful. They need warmth, Pippi. And they need a lot of room to grow.

Columbines may be best held until fall at this point. They need several up and down cool cycles and are best sown in fall.
Zinnias- are warm season plants. Too cool yet.
Portulacas- not sure but would wait too.

Sally, after I posted that message last evening, I was reading either in the gardening library books or on internet that I should wait at least until last frost date or if temperatures stayed for a week straight in 60's or above, that would warm up the soil, so I've made myself a reminder..wait at least till May 1st. that is 6 weeks from now. Patience isn't one of my virtues!

Happy Spring to all!

May !st sounds good. We all have a hard time waiting after the first couple of really nice days!!
And actually I'd think your zone could be a bit warmer than 6b. I've had more things survive the cold than I expected for my zone.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Here is a little trick I use for my tomato plants, you could use it for any seed starts or small plants. I take those large soda bottles cut off the bottom and remove the cap and lable. Place it over the young plants/ seeds pushing it down it the ground a ways so it won't blow away. This makes a mini green house and protects them from harsh rain, wind and late frost.
This squeeks in an extra week or 2 depending on how fast the plant grows.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I agree that it is too early to direct sow zinnias - we're supposed to have some snow this weekend. I do have several new annuals that I am going to plant this year that say they should be sowed very early spring. Is it too early for larkspur, annual poppies and nasturtium as well?

OH if they SAY very early spring then YES get on it.
Below is what I was writing before I re read your post and noticed the directions you stated.

(Larkspur- can sow- self sows for me and they are sprouting already.
Annual poppies-- the red ones (Flanders Field, corn poppies from Europe) need some chill. Yes sow them. California--a summer annual,
Nasturtium not sure )

I've got to plant out the California Poppies as they are so tall in the milk jug, a few more days and they'll be busting out the neck of the jug. Patty's Purple Plum poppy is also tall. I've been opening the jugs of these seedlings for a few hours each day it is nice, then closing them back at evening, keeping them in shade but where they have light.

You know May 1 st. seems far away but it'll be here before we know it. Behnke's sent an email showing they have creeping phlox..so I just may have to take a trip there on Sunday after church. Too much going on to go before then. I bought some beautiful pansies there a couple of weeks ago. It's about 20 miles out of my area but I know their quality and it's usually worth driving that far for.

Expecting a furniture delivery this afternoon so need to get us lunch.

Catonsville, MD(Zone 7b)

Pippi,
I'm like you-impatient & ready to get the flowers going!!! I did sow some columbine but I doubt they'll do anything. I usually due my annuals 1st part of May. I have done some light fertilizing for some new hydrangeas I had planted last year , my climbing roses and my perrenial gardens. It's so exciting to see things popping up! Now, I've got a question about freesia bulbs. I had bought some @ a nursery a few weeks ago, not realizing that they're not cold hardy, etc. Can I do anything with them? I do not have proper light inside for them. I have the same proplem with a hydrangea bulb someone gave me as a gift. Will that bulb be ok in the frig until I can plant it in the fall?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I don't direct sow hardly any seeds. I will be putting in a ton of zinnias this year. I got them last year at the swap with it the idea that I would put in a big zinnia garden. Then we ran off to Fl. when Ric father had his surgery and that was one of the things I didn't get done. I am thinking maybe I will plant them in milk jugs now to give them a start then moved them to the area I need to prepare. What do you think? When would you plant Zinnias?

Ellendale, DE(Zone 7a)

Holly Ann:

I would plant the zinnia seeds now with the milk jug method (although I am not familiar with it but guessing that the seeds would be more protected than if sown directly into the ground).

I would not direct-sow zinnias just yet. I am slightly south of you geographically (and experienced in zinnias).

It's not too late to start zinnias indoors in peat pellets or some sort of seed starts if you are willing to harden them off in May before you plant them outdoors. Otherwise, I would wait 'til about May 1 to direct-sow them.

But since you seem to have many, many seeds and want a big garden, the easiest thing to do would be to wait 'til the ground is warm enough to broadcast your seeds that way. In the meantime, you can turn over your flower bed area(s) and get them just right while waiting just a few weeks for warmer weather.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

timmijo,Thanks, for the info. I may end up waiting and broadcasting them directly into the garden. I would like to get a head start on them but not sure I will have the time to get them started early. I have about 1,600 tiny annual plugs so I am pushed for space and a lot of them still need to be transplanted into larger cell pkgs. When you broadcast them do they just lay on the surface or do you put a thin layer of soil or peat over them?

Ellendale, DE(Zone 7a)

First, I work up the bed, smooth it out, then fine-spray it with the garden hose. Then, I scatter the zinnia seeds on the top. The last thing I do is to gently push each seed about 1/8 inch into the moist soil and pinch the soil around it to cover it up.

I don't think I would leave the seeds lie there exposed since the wind, birds, and other critters might carry them off.

To save time, you could scatter the seeds and instead of pinching each one into the soil, cover the group with a fine layer of soil of some type. Peat might blow away; perhaps use garden soil, potting soil, or the soil that's already in the bed. You want the seeds just covered—but not covered deeply.

If I you do it that way, as a final step you could fine-spray the now-covered seeded area once more with your garden hose.

Thanks for the tutorial, it reminds me I ordered some zinnia seeds, I could not resist the bright color! May 1 is only about three weeks away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.