Announcing Beginner PNW Foraging Classes

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Sign-up is now open for three beginner foraging classes this spring in the Cascade foothills near Seattle. Each class will be a three-hour trail walk (2 miles, easy terrain) with an emphasis on identification and food preparation. We'll examine dozens of wild plants and fungi that can be used in the kitchen. Trailside discussion will include notes on life cycle, habitat, season, harvesting techniques, processing, cooking, recipes, and putting up. Maximum 12 per class. The cost is $35, which includes a copy of the book, Fat of the Land: Adventures of a 21st Century Forager.

The dates are:
* Friday, March 25, 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
* Saturday, April 9, 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
* Monday, May 2, 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.

To sign up or request more information, please email: finspotcook@gmail.com
Group rates possible.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Interesting! Are you the author or class instructor? Is this through a particular organization?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Neither one, susy. I've been reading his blog for a very long time and really admire the man.

Here's his blog. http://fat-of-the-land.blogspot.com/2011/03/announcing-beginner-pnw-foraging.html

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Cool. Thanks so much for sharing this!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Ahhh....Fascinating-thanks for posting this. I'm a little far to make this workshop (at least with the way gas prices are going, anyhow) but I'll at least check out the blog. :)

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

After reading this, I think I've heard him interviewed on NPR . . .

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

That does look interesting. i have heard that fern fronds are tasty, and who knows when we might need knowledge of edible plants available in the woods. Here in the PNW, we do need to be better prepared for survival under adverse circumstances, considering it is earthquake country.

Katie59, it's good to see you post. I have missed you.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Holly!

Lake Stevens, WA

I have missed you (Katie59) as well.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Julia!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.