Way too Early for Lilies Here

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

So my lilies are not yet poking out of the ground yet as March is early for us yet. Instead I amused myself cleaning up the gardenbeds and pulling/cutting the old dried lily stems from last year that were mostly poking out of the ground were they bloomed or sometimes laid down in a pile on the ground were I have a large planting of lilies.

I haven't ordered any new ones this spring yet. I would like to add more this year as always but we will see what I get done or not.

I see some sprounts on my Red Alert lilies that I have a row of near the garage. Yea!

I guess it is too early for Lilies here. I was looking today at the Woodenshoe Lily Bulbs and sister company Enie Flower Blubs but neither had lilies ready for buying now to plant in the spring. I want to add a planting of Oriental Lilies this spring.

North Pole, AK(Zone 1)

Ramona has her cut-off date for spring as March 15, but you might see if she is still shipping. I rec'd my order last week. She has great choices.
http://www.farawayflowers.com/

Thanks. I have never ordered from there. But I am looking to do one of my more en mass displays so need to be able to buy more in bulk to do what I want. I used to do that by ordering from VB Wholesale but have since learned of their not so hot reputation. Woodenshoe has great bulbs when one needs a larger amount.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Nothing showing here ,just a few teeeny peeps.
I'm waiting for snow to disappear from those beds.
I'll drench for red lily beetles when I can see the n oses more clearly.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Nothing showing here either. It's just too early to expect it in our gardens. Early April to mid April it seems everything starts to grow from lilies to asparagus and hostas.

Chocolatemoose is right: Ramona is terrific - very knowledgeable, very helpful and eager to please.
http://www.farawayflowers.com/

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Hey, you northern folks are doing as well as So. Cal! Aside from a couple of freaks... a potted dwarf oriental that I stuck in the ground, and Triumphator, which never died back completely, my asiatics are just starting to poke up out of the ground.

My clump of BESTSELLER lilies are just poking their noses up too. Maybe spring weather will finially get here and not just on the calander but some warmer days to get things growing.

It has been strange this spring. Some of my daffodils are blooming but others are just breaking ground now. Come on spring!

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

As of this a.m., there is a clump of about 6 that must have grown 4 inches yesterday. Hooray!

Some lilies are appearing out in the front yard.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Congrats on your sprouts, Rita! I have them coming up all over the place....

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

Most of mine are not showing yet. It has been cool here most of March and things are slow getting going. So I really tend to notice the few that have started up. Lilies should be really nice this year as stuff I planted not last year but the year before has had some time to settle in. But then I add lilies each year so there is always something new.

Steve, yours are really growing there. I love your lilies when they bloom. Always such a great show in your yard. Hope you post lots of bloom pictures.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks Rita,,,yours is hard to compete with though!

Hey - what are those thin wiry leaves in your last pic? Drumstick allium? That's what mine's leaves look like.

Ha-ha! They are WEEDS. Wild onions that I did not pull out before I took the picture. In fact when I was posting the picture I was thinking to myself there are my lilies complete with wild onion weeds. Oh well. I am always pulling out those pesky wild onion around here, they just grow everwhere. Yeck to them.

Thanks for the compliments on my lilies :-))

My row of Red Alert Lilies is coming up nicely in back of a section of mostly daylilies in front.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Wow Rita.....your yard is really greening up......congrats on that and I am excited to see it progress!

Things are just starting to green around here, shrubs are thinking of getting green leaves but a ways to go. The spring has been very cool.

In that picture in back of the daylilies and in front of the lillies, you see that sticklike green folliage? It is Dutch Iris that I planted three springs ago that never came to anything. I now know planting in the spring is no good. Anyway, my point is that it just came up. So maybe Dutch Iris can (will) come back here.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

At least its not snowing

I see my Silk Road Lilies comeing up along the fenceline. And my Tango Lilies up in the terraces garden are also starting to show.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I drenched the pink noses of my lilies yesterday.No beetles for me if I can help it.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I started spraying 2 weeks ago, hoping to get to the eggs in the soil. Also spraying to avoid deer and now bunnies. The spray is not toxic, just makes everything taste awful. I'm afraid to treat with imicloprid because we grow tomatoes and a few other veggies.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.