question on bare root Liliums for my wedding in July...

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Hi Everyone,

Hoping one of you might be able to help with a question I have:

I have bought about 50 Liliums (Asiatics) to use for my July wedding - they are really coming along nicely - in fact numerous ones already have pods - my question is....since they had such a head start in their peat bags coming from the big box store will it hinder blooming this year to pinch them - do I just leave them be? I have Commander in Chief & Red Dutch

I have to say the Red Dutch is coming up more like the Casa Blanca's already in my yard from last year- meaning they don't have all the flower pods the C in Chief does - any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, as I'm trying to be thrifty and use the roses, gerbers, sages, glads, crocosmias etc already in my yard for the nuptials but wanted to add the Lilium to centerpieces...

Truly appreciate anyone's suggestions.

Deanna

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

DO NOT PINCH ~ you only get one set of buds per year. Lilies do not 'branch' by pinching like annuals do.

Are lilies normally blooming for you in July? By then, I usually just have orientals blooming and you're in a warmer zone than I am. The lilies that you find in the big box stores are ready to grow and are not on a normal time schedule as they would be if planted in the ground. If you're going for particular colors, they're frequently misidentified too. :(

I really don't want to rain on your parade (or wedding, for that matter!) but I'd hate for you to be disappointed when you already have enough things to worry about.

Best of luck and congratulations!

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I'm in zone 6b, and my asiatics are usually done by June.

Everything they're going to have to bloom, they have already. The bulb send up one stalk with all its instructions complete. These are asiatics from May of 2010.

Thumbnail by cathy166
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Moby - lol ur not raining on my parade and I have tons of back up perennials in the yard...just wanted to add them to centerpieces

My white lilies did not bloom until July last year so here's hoping they do it again :)

Thumbnail by rednyr
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Even the Triumphator, Bonbini and Casablancas would bloom too soon for you, I'm sure.

Hope everything goes smoothly for the wedding.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks Pirl - in a pinch I'll just fill in with whats already in the yard blooming at that time - we are having a casual pig roast reception so I can always just use all the gingers :)

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Florists will have the scented lilies if you want to make a big splash on the main table.

Love, love, love pig roasts. Many big parties around here feature them.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Pig, in any form, is always good! Have some ribs in the smoker this very moment...

Red ~ you could pick up a stem or 2 from a florist and put a single bloom in your centerpiece.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

there's a wholesaler in town Moby - I like the way you think! lol

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Well heck, you're all set! Good deal.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

good luck

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.