Izora Carla

Merida, Centro, Mexico(Zone 11)

A couple of days ago, a friend took me to her favorite nursery. I bought a smaller version of the plant in this photo. Mine is about 10 inches tall and has7 blooms and another about to burst forth. The plant store owner wrote the name for me as "Izora Carla." First I looked on Google and, other than this photograph from the photographer's trip to Venezuela, I found nearly nothing.

I planted it yesterday in the garden near a rock wall. That means it is sunny part of the day and in the shade part of the day. I dug the hole deep enough so no roots were bent or broken. But now what? How often should I water it?

At the nursery they had several bigger bushier ones but with the same size blooms made up of little flowers. What should I know? Or should I just water it once or twice a day, as I do the hibiscus nearby, depending on the heat and my schedule? I asked about pests and particularly the scale-like insects that create sticky white puffs, can't think of the name in English, in Spanish it's mosta blanco.
She gave me something to use with a lot of water to fumigate. But in truth, I just check all the plants every morning for that white sticky stuff and clean it off with a Kleenex. With this plant I certainly can do the same.

Any info anyone has...even interesting guesses are welcomed.

It's good to be back. Cheers to all from tropical Merida!

Withering heat hasn't hit yet.
Barbara

Thumbnail by bbode
Merida, Centro, Mexico(Zone 11)

Plantlady...heroine!

Absolutely. It must be Ixora coccinea and I found earlier a note about a cultivar named Carla.
Thank you so much.

Now I have to decide whether or not to buy a dozen more and make a hedge. I don't think so. I like it but I'm not blown away by its beauty or charm. Besides, I have no space.

Abrazos (Mexican hugs)
Barbara

Thumbnail by bbode
noonamah, Australia

If you buy one plant you can always make cuttings. Ixoras are easy to strike from cuttings or roots. So much so that they're listed as an environmental weed here, although a lot of people still grow them.

(Zone 1)

Barbara: It was just a guess but I'm glad it was the right one. It is a Beautiful plant!

Years ago my mother had a hedge of Ixora coccinea at her home in south Florida. She didn't like them at all because they grew too high and blocked part of the windows of her porch. When I went to visit one time they were gone ... my sister had dug them all out and put them in the trash.

Here are two links with more information about Ixora coccinea:

http://www.jaycjayc.com/ixora-species-jungleflame/

http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week007.shtml

((((( Hugs ))))) to you too!

Lin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.