Photo by Melody

Tropical Zone Gardening: Izora Carla, 1 by bbode

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bbode

Subject: Izora Carla

Forum: Tropical Zone Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
bbode wrote:
A couple of days ago, a friend took me to her favorite nursery. I bought a smaller version of the plant in this photo. Mine is about 10 inches tall and has7 blooms and another about to burst forth. The plant store owner wrote the name for me as "Izora Carla." First I looked on Google and, other than this photograph from the photographer's trip to Venezuela, I found nearly nothing.

I planted it yesterday in the garden near a rock wall. That means it is sunny part of the day and in the shade part of the day. I dug the hole deep enough so no roots were bent or broken. But now what? How often should I water it?

At the nursery they had several bigger bushier ones but with the same size blooms made up of little flowers. What should I know? Or should I just water it once or twice a day, as I do the hibiscus nearby, depending on the heat and my schedule? I asked about pests and particularly the scale-like insects that create sticky white puffs, can't think of the name in English, in Spanish it's mosta blanco.
She gave me something to use with a lot of water to fumigate. But in truth, I just check all the plants every morning for that white sticky stuff and clean it off with a Kleenex. With this plant I certainly can do the same.

Any info anyone has...even interesting guesses are welcomed.

It's good to be back. Cheers to all from tropical Merida!

Withering heat hasn't hit yet.
Barbara