"Bringing Nature Home" by Doug Tallamy

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

On Tuesday, March 22, 7:00 to 9:00 PM Doug Tallamy is giving a talk on “Bringing Nature Home” in Leesburg, Virginia. Prof. Tallamy is the author of the Timber Press book by the same title. For those of you unfamiliar with this book, it is probably the most lucid explanation of the importance of native flora available today. What we decide to plant in our personal landscapes affects the very viability of the food supply system we depend upon, an issue of far more than aesthetics. Hopefully, some of the DG members in the area will avail themselves of the opportunity to hear this speaker in person. This free program is sponsored by Loudoun Wildlife Conservancy, and will be held in the downstairs meeting room of the Ida Lee Center in Ida Lee Park. A large attendance is expected, so try to arrive ahead of time. Refreshments are served and reading materials are usually available, compensating for early arrival. Click on link to the Google Map for Ida Lee Park in Leesburg. One caution, the red marker on the map is really at the location of the municipal water park. The Ida Lee Center is the large building in the middle of the “U” shaped drive/parking lot. See photo and compare with map.

Readers who are familiar with this book may want to use this thread to comment, others to ask questions.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&cp=4&b...

Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thank you very much for posting all the info on this talk!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

David, I plan on going so hope to see you and Pat there... Terri

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Terri,

We can save a seat for you if you like. We're planning on getting there by 6:30, figuring it will end up a full house. We'll keep an eye out for you.

Pat

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Excellent book, very exciting information and new way to consider gardening!
I love the idea of being in a vast chain of gardeners working together to help improve the
environment through native plant choices.
Picking the right plants that attract native insects and butterflies to ultimately feed all those lovely song birds is exciting and challenging.
With a little research and trial and error my garden has the same look but I'm using twice as many natives.

I did go to hear Doug Tallamy talk a few years ago at Lehigh University and throughly enjoyed it.

Right now I'm in the process of removing daffodils and grape hyacinths and finding native substitutes for a similar look.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

native substitutes for daffs? Hmm... trout lilies?

I'm looking forward to hearing about last night's talk!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I thoroughly enjoyed the Doug Tallamy's talk last night. He is an excellent speaker - informative and entertaining all in one. My home is in the middle of 35 wooded acres, and 100s of adjacent wooded acres are very sparsely populated - but even though I'm not in "suburbia", I think there are a lot of different choices I can be making here in the woods. I will definitely be doing more research on this.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Trout lilies are a wonderful idea, I hadn't thought of those, thanks.
I've already planned on Virginia bluebells, wood phlox and bloodroot along with wild eastern columbine and heuchera americana.

aspenhill, you are lucky to be able to plant in a large wooded area. Doug Tallamy has so many native trees and shrubs listed that are important. I don't have space for many but I did add as many native berrying shrubs as possible in the last 2 years .Originally I was looking for smaller cultivar versions of the native shrubs to fit more in but I have since decided to go with straight species when possible.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

How do I summarize a 90 minute presentation by a knowledgeable, well organized, articulate and engaging speaker like Doug Tallamy? Below is an attempt to relay the basic information in a brief and hopefully coherent manner.

All our culture depends on the existence of healthy ecosystems surviving somewhere. New York City, for example, exists only because oxygen replenishment, air pollution removal, potable water and food supplies are provided by viable ecosystems external to the city. We simply cannot survive if not enough of “out there” is functioning.

Some 80% of our food depends on pollination by means other than wind, thus various species of organisms. Most of the food web is dependent, directly or indirectly, on arthropods (insects, spiders etc.). For example, over 90% of our bird species raise their young on caterpillars and such. No supply – no young birds, no matter how much seed is supplied in birdfeeders. Insects even make up a significant portion of the diets of large mammals such as foxes and even bears. Without insects, our biodiversity, and hence the system that sustains us collapses. If you walk in the woods, you do not see widespread damage by pests, despite the lack of pesticide intervention. The greater the biodiversity, the less there is opportunity for any one organism to dominate and devastate, and as a result, most everything thrives.

Our native insect species are adapted to eat our native species of plants. Most are unable to utilize alien ornamentals due to different chemicals they produce in their foliage. Butterfly bushes, for example, provide nectar for butterflies, but are not a food source for any species’ larval form. If you have no larval food plants, you don’t get adults. A well known example is the monarch butterfly. No milkweeds = no monarchs. Oaks, for example, support more than 550 species of insects, while many alien ornamentals support just a handful, or none.

Roads and other paving cover the equivalent of five (5) times the size of New Jersey. Lawns, which are nearly as unsupportive of species as parking lots, cover the equivalent of eight (8) times the size of New Jersey. Some 54% of the lower 48 states has been converted into cities, suburbs and infrastructure. Agriculture utilizes around 41% of the land. Of the remaining 5%, over 3,400 species of alien plants have invaded 100 million acres, an area expected to double in the next 5 years. What is left is mostly fragmented. When an isolated 100 acre woodlot is reduced to 10 acres, it’s biodiversity declines approximately in proportion..

Favoring native species of trees, shrubs, ground covers and other plants in our landscaping enhances biodiversity and reduces the introduction of invasive alien species. It also reduces the isolation effect on existing adjacent natural habitats, expanding their effective size. Shifting one’s plant preference can bring observable increases in biodiversity such as birds in a year’s time. Nature quickly avails itself of the opportunity to restore balance. In summary, the choices of the average gardener can dramatically affect the viability of the wider ecosystem that sustains us.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks greenthum, You did a great job distilling all that information.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thank you! As with the stink bug talk, you gave us an excellent "reader's digest version" of what we missed...

In our yard, I've found that the less I sprayed, the less I needed to spray... "good" predator bugs increase and help keep things under control. I think encouraging birds (food sources, brush piles) has also helped keep some insects under control, although I would like to complain that my titmouses don't eat enough stinkbugs LOL. I'm not a "don't spray anything ever" zone, but it takes a pretty major threat, and I try to start out with insecticidal soap or the like. An exception is the fruit trees, because I just don't get fruit worth eating without spraying, but even there I can do a lot with dormant oil, and I also try to spray early or late in the day when the air is still (minimizing drift) and insects aren't particularly active.

I've got some garden areas to work on this year, and I'm going to try to increase butterfly host plants (nectar plants seem to be plentiful without a lot of conscious thought on my part; I guess the butterflies and I just like the same flowers)... Joyanna loves pointing out butterflies in her picture books, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't remember watching any flutter around last summer... she is going to be delighted!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Jill - One of the points Doug made was that planting caterpillar gardens is more important than planting butterfly gardens. Its the caterpillar host plants that are most crucial. If you have the caterpillars, you'll have the butterflies.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

I was surprised when I heard and read the amount of host plants needed. It was recommended that you have at least 10 of each plant because the plants put out a chemical plume to attract the butterflies. In the case of milkweed at least 2 different types should be planted with different bloom times.
Another site recommended 50 of each plant which I would have a hard time finding space for unless they were smaller spreading plants like pussytoes.

The most astonishing fact I found was the amount of hosts that were trees and shrubs. I just hadn't thought of them when I was trying to attract butterflies and other beneficial insects.

This message was edited Mar 28, 2011 3:58 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I like the idea of thinking of it as a caterpillar garden! I'm restarting my milkweeds taht I lost a couple years ago, but I had maybe 5 plants and had plenty of monarch cats on them, so I think "if you plant them they will come," even if it's not a stand of 20 or 50 plants. There are several butterflies that host on the wild cherry, sassafrass, and mulberry trees in our little tree line along the back. :-)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Jill - Black cherry hosts over 450 species of butterflies and moths!! One of the most effective host plants you can have.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yep, it's another reason to put up with the purple bird-splats when they fruit. LOL I seem to remember reading that some moths & butterflies are species-specific with regard to their host plants, and others will host on any Prunus (so they can also enjoy the plum, apricot, and sour cherry trees in our little orchard).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.