Anxious for those Siberian Iris to start growiing already

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Its really too early here yet. Thats what I tell myself but I still scratch around some of the Siberian Iris plants to see if they started growing yet. Although if you look at the garden, they show no green but if I pull aside the dead leaves from last year, some of them are showing the smallest start of green growth already here and there. I am so ready for spring this year and I guess I think that just because I am ready for things to start growing, they should do so already. But it really is early as not much grows in early to mid March around here.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Way too early here, we still have two foot of snow on the ground.

How many new siberians did you get last year?

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

My yellow walking iris bloomed today. If I can remember I'll take a picture of the next bud to open, here's the bud.

Thumbnail by mittsy

Isn't it very early in your zone for blooms of anything? Wow, I don't expect iris in zone 5 to bloom now.

I don't remember how many Sibs I bought last year, no way near as many as the year before though. But at least last year most of them lived, not like the year before.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

My Siberians were just starting to emerge last week. Mittsy, tell us more about your walking iris. Annette

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Can't wait to see pictures Rita and Cem!

South Hamilton, MA

siberian bed here is the last one for snowmelt. Still 9" on some of the beds, measured this morning. However it might have sneakily melted some this afternoon while we were at a meeting.

NYrita, I'm a snowbird, I winter in Cocoa Beach FL.

Here's the walking iris, blooms all year until frost, hardy zone 9a to 11. Official name neomarica longifolia. Aren't they delicate looking?

Thumbnail by mittsy

Forgot to mention they can be grown in a hanging basket and overwintered indoors.

Hurray! My Siberians are starting their spring growth. The ones that are up the most are the old unknown clumps that were here for as long as I can remember. Then the ones I have been putting in for the past two years are just starting. The ones in the most sunnier spots starting earlier with the green. But they are all starting spring growth so that is deffinately great.

It's still quite cold here, in fact we have been having weather much too cold for normal this time of year. But hopefully spring weather comes back soon. I am so ready for spring.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

YEAH! I had several that I bought last year but didn't get them in the ground. They were sitting in the black nursery pots with several other pots of daylilies. They are still alive! Woo Hoo! However, there were 2 Japanese Iris that were along with them that have not shown any signs of life. :( But I'm still happy to see those Sibs! First thing on my 'to plant' list are those Sibs!

Yes, deffinatly get those Sibs in the ground so they can bloom for you this spring. I love the Siberians they are just so pretty.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

My siberians have sprouted, but not my JIs. There's hope yet.

Ha, they are growing nicely now. I am hoping for lots of bloom later.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

sibs and japs are coming through nicely! Yeah!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Looking good, Rita! China Spring should be one of your earliest to bloom, too. It's one of my favorites.

It seemed like it took forever until the Sibs starting growing this spring. I know it is just because I am looking forward to all the blooms later. Not all of them are up this much but they are all growing.

South Hamilton, MA

Remember, they usually bloom after early TBs.

I thought they bloomed before the TB. I didn't have many blooms last year and can't remember when they bloomed.

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Anyone have any tips on some darker red siberians? Sultan's Ruby looks like it might work (like Aitken's photo of it) but then in some areas it seems to come up more fuchsia-y than deep red. And by deep red I mean in the crimson to burgundy realm. Like TB Fortunate Son.

I looked through Dee's Snowpeak collection and Siberian Iris Gardens (though they're closed already and not taking any more orders).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I would say Sultans Ruby is more wine red. Another really nice wine red is Devils Dream. Really nice. To be honest, the color you're looking for, a crimson red, really doesn't exist in siberians. They're working on it though.

Have you ever grown Louisianas? They have some that come in that color range.

And PS, thanks for looking at my website. I felt so bad closing so soon this year. I just can't propagate them fast enough. But I'm trying.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

How about Crimson Cloisonne? I ordered that one this spring....can't wait to get it! Some pictures are darker than others so we will see.

http://www.dvis-ais.org/gallery/DVIS-Show-5-23-09/CRIMSON_CLOISONNE_SIB_1st_Gary_jDSC07459

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

To me Crimson Cloisonne is darker than that picture. It's along the same lines as Sultans Ruby and Devils Dream. All are wonderful sibs.

South Hamilton, MA

More expensive as it is new--'Miss Apple' (Schafer Sachs). You might have to wait awhile before the price comes down. the falls are the red part. 'Devil's Dream' is quite good for a siberian as Polly says.

So I just today found two Siberians that haven't come up this spring. Curriers Dream and Ruffled Round. They were alive last fall before going in to the winter. I am really bummed out about it.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Early yet, Rita. A lot of mine aren't up yet, and they take longer if new. Did you do the tug test to see if they are rooted?

Nothing is there. Not even any dried old folliage.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

OK, that's not good. Did you plant them spring or fall?

In the spring. I have never tried to plant Sibs in the Fall. Honestly, I just love the flowers and the colors. But I really do lousey getting them to grow. I manage to get lots of them to die on me and I don't know why. Its not like I can't garden, I have a beautiful garden with lots and lots of plants.

I didn't even order any sibs this spring even though I have room were I could plant more.

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, ladies - I'll try to track those down and see. My one attempt at Lousianas has yielded nothing. I swear the plant is the same size this year as it has been for the last 3. No blooms either. I tried Gamecock, which is apparently NOT game to grow for me.

I was nervous about my two, but I saw the smallest little green shoots last night among last year's foliage.

Hope they bounce back, rita.

I fear they are gonners. I do have plenty that are doing really well though. I guess I will just think about them instead of the ones that died.

The Siberian Iris planted in the "woodsey" section of the front yard. It is really going to look great when they bloom :-))

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

This Siberians are planted around the outside of a half round divider that has TB iris on the other side.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Tomah, WI

WOW! Your sibs are going great guns! They are really clumping up fast!

They seem to really like that front yard area I have them planted in. I usually have it heavily mulched and it makes them happy. But I did loose two plants in that area that did not come up after winter. I have two bare spots.

I haven't ordered more but really should replace them.

Oh, oh! I just went out there and looked and what did I see but that China Springs has bloom stalks. Hurray. But none of the others do yet.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

China Spring is a siberian iris, typhifolia X. They are always the earliest to bloom here, Rita. And it's a beauty!

Good, Not everything has to bloom at the same time. China Springs is doing very well in my yard, growing like gangbusters.

The stalks on China Springs have gotten much bigger/taller. But when I was looking at the Sibs along in there I saw multiple flower spikes on Active Duty. Hurray!

I moved three Sibs today, two I put into the empty spots in front were those two died and the last I just made room for. I like them out there in that 'woodsey' section, they seem to like it there also. So just moved three that needed moving anyway instead of ordering new ones.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.