Anxious for those Siberian Iris to start growiing already

South Hamilton, MA

but they should have 1/2 day of sun to avoid getting too 'leggy'.

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

It has lots of sun there. It is not really woodsey in the sence there are no trees. I just have it mulched in a thick carpet of bagged leaves I get from the curb in the spring and I have afew viney things on trellis and my blackberries off to the side. I just think of it as what the meadow edge of a woodland would look like.

South Hamilton, MA

Right, 'woodsy' sounded like shade. good luck with them.

My first Siberian Iris bloom of the season opened yesterday. CHINA SPRINGS.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Yay!!!

None of the others other than the two mentioned have stalks yet.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

The only ones I have with buds are the typhifolia ones so far. Caitlins Smile and China Spring.

There are three flowers open today of China Spring which made for a lovely clump shot.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Lovely! That's always been one of my favorites.

I remember the first one I saw was on Boojums yearly thread on beardless irises. I bought on the next year, and just love it.

There are more buds close to open so might be even more flowers by tomorrow. I like the fact that it is so early, therefore extending the Siberian Iris season.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Me too.

I don't know if you have Forever Remembered or Devil's Dream, but they extended the end of the season by about three weeks last year.

No, I don't have them. I will have to look them up. But I didn't buy any this year. I have room to plant more, would love to have more but so far I manage to have more die on me than I can figgure out why. Once they make it thru that first winter they are hardy as anything. But before that I have troubles.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Do you normally buy them spring or fall?

Spring. I have never tried them in the fall.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

In your area, you're better off planting them in the fall. Mostly it's recommended zone 4 and colder spring, zone 7 and warmer fall, and zone 5 and 6 either, but I have better luck here planting in the fall.

If you decide you want either of them, I should have enough I could send you a piece in the fall, let me know.

Thanks. I will think about it. Usually by the fall I am tired of planting things.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I have been on my annual trek to the WKBG The Siberians are beautiful, but the most outstanding this spring display is the I. versicolor.

Thumbnail by mittsy

.Another, close up.

Thumbnail by mittsy

Eric the Red

Thumbnail by mittsy

Overview

Thumbnail by mittsy

We leave here this morning for home. Wondering if anything will be booming.

Mixed up the photos, I. Versicolor again.

Thumbnail by mittsy
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

That's OK, Rita, I'm tired of digging by the fall, too, LOL.

Pretty, Mittsy!

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

I was just wondering when SI were supposed to bloom! I had begun to think that mine weren't going to bloom this year in their new location.
My I. histriodes finished some time ago, my I. graminea are blooming now..almost finished. I can't wait to get back to the new house to see if the SI are blooming now.
deb

South Hamilton, MA

Siberians usually bloom after the bearded iris. the exception are those from I. trifolia (Sp. on that one). sibs descended from siberica & sanquinea are later.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

My first ones start blooming with my last TBs.

Nothing is blooming here. The lilacs are pretty close, another week, have swelling in some of the TB iris, but too chilly. so much rain and overcast skies. The weeds are enormous! So glad I bought new "weeding" boots. Most of the beds are really wet and some are under water. I must be ruthless in reducing the bed sizes this year. I'm too old for this kind of work!

Yes blooms finially!

Active Duty

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

Berries and Cream

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

Great Falls Love (left) with Great Falls Wine and bearded in the middle.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

Great Falls Love

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

Great Falls Wine

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Great Falls Love is blue not purple. Very pretty irises, Rita.

Oh, oh. Mixed up tags! I have a bunch of them there, will have to wait for the rest to bloom. I know I have Great Falls Love. At least I know I bought it LOL!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I don't have Great Falls Wine, but I would think that would be purple, so maybe you switched the two of them?

Could be. I will look on their website at the flowers later.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.