New Bees 03/12/11 friends - new and old...Come on in...

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Spring has arrived in many parts of our world... others are still buried under snow. Tell us your plans for Spring as you get out of the cabin fever slump and play in the dirt again...

This is the place to chat and hang out and share with friends - new and old...

Any links you all want me to add to this let me know!

We came from here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1152857/

Come on in...

Direction for free seeds for newbies here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1141449/

Newbies that get lost and found here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010521/

Lasagna Beds for newbies here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037637/

Thumbnail by locakelly
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Al, I am glad you are safe my friend and enjoying your trip!

Please keep the people of Japan in your prayers as they deal with the devastation from this earthquake...

Well, I feel a wee bit better today, I think. When I saw my doctor I had her check my EKG and stuff as I am still having "chest pain" in my left side. Of course all the tests still look normal, so I am wondering if it can be stress related at this point... No pain when at rest, not unless I move a certain way or like open a heavy door. Is it possible to pull a muscle in that area? That's almost what it feels like is a pulled muscle. Ugh. I did do a lot of watering and stuff the night before but nothing "heavy". Of course this feeling is not totally new either. Just sucks not knowing what it is. I also have a feeling like my lungs are full of crud that I can't cough up, like when you have bronchitis and such. Chest x-rays are clear so maybe it's the recovery from smoking. I think I will follow up this week with the cardiologist I saw last year, get him all the new tests and see what he thinks. I think a lot of it is the stress of worrying about it, but then again I don't want to be nonchalant. The Yorkies know Mommy is not feeling well - I'm getting lots of extra attention and puppy kisses;o) The Storm is on my lap as I type...

I asked the doc to prescribe me something for "stress" - since I'm not a pill taker that tells you this has gotten to be too much for me - lol. I did not take the Ativan Thursday night as I wasn't sure how it would effect me and working the next day. I did start the Wellbutrin yesterday. Doc said several weeks for full effect but should feel a difference in 10 days or so. I felt a little less bummed yesterday but I'm sure that was purely psychological. Took the Ativan last night about 30 minutes before bedtime, fell asleep and woke feeling OK. I was worried I'd have some hangover feeling or something.

I plan to do some laundry today and get the rest of my overgrown neglected tomato transplants in the ground. Some of the neglected broccoli went to seed as well in all the hot weather we've been having so need to watch out for all the dang bees around too. They seem to not bother me too much, just fly around.

Enjoy your weekend friends!

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Still enjoying our vacation. Flying out today. Last stop will be Hilo on Hawaii Big Island for three more days, then home.

We ate at Bubba Gumps Shrimp Company on Lihana Beach last night. It follows the Tom Hanks film theme Forest Gump movie. I had a mashed potato with chopped garlic greens, layered with charcoal broiled Mahi Mahi fish, bourbon shrimp, and chopped bruchetta tomatoes. It was a whole huge platter full for just $20! Delicious.

Everything fine here, don't worry too much about us, we're living well.

Aloha
Al

La Quinta, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi! I found Dave's Garden years ago and used it as a reference on and off. But it wasn't until yesterday I received the ultimate gift and became a full fledged member and I'm so excited!

My gardens are pretty bare I have a few roses and iris, but I want to learn as I go and incorporate healthy, annuals and perennials that are easy to take care of and drought/heat tolerant as I live where the summers hit 120 easily.

I have some gardening experience but really I'm a beginner and am looking forward to listening, learning and interacting with the gardeners here on DG.

Ld blond

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Welcome Idblond! So happy to have you join us! You will find that the people here are a wealth of info and love to help! (I'm not one of the smart ones, lol, but love everyone's help) And we all love making new friends! When you get a chance, please start posting pictures of your yard and gardens. We love looking at every yard, no matter how bare, and watching them transform lush and beautiful masterpieces! (Mine isn't one of those yet either, lol)

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

WELCOME IDBLONDE! So glad you are now a true DG'er! You will have no problem getting help on here. Also there are lots of plant and seed swaps to help you enlarge your gardening experience. Be sure to visit this thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1160896/, and follow the direction in the top thread to help you get started.
I look forward to seeing you around!!!!!

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Welcome IDBlonde You are going to love it here. Welcome Aboard our wacky ship...☺

Thumbnail by ridesredmule
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Welcome Ld blond;o) Glad to have you on board...

Charleen, I ♥ ♥ ♥ your cut little tulips!!

Booneville, AR

hi ld blond we all love new people glad to meet you.you will like dg. we all do love nettie

Booneville, AR

al tou will starve to dearh when you get homr no garden grown maters anywhere around for for a while.im whining cause that ice and snow broke the top out of my big red camelia bush looks so sad going to have to cut half of it down hurts me to do that but can,t be helped. nettrie so glad you and wife are ok im just a big whiner can,t help myself.

This message was edited Mar 12, 2011 11:20 PM

Touch of Nature is where they came from. Beautiful, aren't they???

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

They are gorgeous! They must be species tulips and not require too much chill if they look that gorgeous in GA!!

Booneville, AR

kelly thank you for the new thread i have some things blooming in the yard no time for pictures now may try io get some later love and hugs nettie. hope every one is doing well. imm doing ok just don.t have much energy for some reason.

Booneville, AR

rrm have you seen mekos i looked all over she may have gone to bed think im going also. love and hugs to all nettie good might.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

We're in Kona today, on the opposite side of Hilo on Big Island. Would you beleive it, they make Kona coffee here! Rugged terrain from black volcanic rock, like landing on the moon. Totally different from the other islands, a lot of jagged rock. A little sand beach here is completely jet black. Volcano Park is still closed to visitors due to safety concerns. They have a volcanic gas there that they call "VOG", similar to what we call smog but worse. So far, we haven't been too concerned but it causes respitory problems for some people when the wind blows just right.

Still a beautiful place, having a great time.

Al

She's probably busy Nettie. She will be back as soon as she can. She has been thru a lot of stress and needs a rest.Love you, Charleen

Booneville, AR

rrm i think im going to order 2 six packs of those sureina petunbia that way i can one of each color. ivce got to get off puter cause we havr a storm comming love and hugs nettie good night.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

We drove to the Kilauea crater rim today, but restricted from the lava flow area of the national park. You can see some execellent pictures on their website though, try this:

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov

We saw the main steam vent on top of the mountain, it was awesome sight.

Al

This message was edited Mar 14, 2011 4:11 AM

WOW .... that's cool

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Vacation's over folks, thanks for putting up with me for the last two weeks. Ate a great breakfast this morning, we have 12 hours of travel time ahead of us and will gain six hours in time zones on the way home. Catching a plane, will talk later.

My Last Aloha from Hawaii,
Al

Was great Al, so glad you enjoyed your trip.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

What a memorable vacation you had, with so much excitement! Glad you had a great time! Will be glad to have you home too, tho!

Booneville, AR

hi all sure glad al and wife are on their way home mised them glad they had a good time i know they ate good can,t wait to see all the pictures al takes good pitcures so exciding. have garden club tomorow afternoon so will not be on until night time. going to the citl friday have a gift carde for lows going to have some fun.can hardly wait to see all the plants they have in.saw a few of them earler in the week im nuts i think i have a bad case of spring fever or plant person just can,t help myself. love and hugs nettie.

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

Hi guys.. Al sure glad you enjoyed your vacation.. Seems as if you went to Hawaii during an active time , with volcanoes and tsunamies, glad you and the wife made it back safely.
Locakelly hope you are feeling better. Chest pains are very scary.
Mekos im so sorry to read about Wes. You and your family continue to be in my prayers.
My son Caleb that was burned had surgery on the 7th for tissue rearrangement and z-plasty on his rt hand and was in hosp at Childrens for 3 days he has been in alot of pain since then, but we go back tomorrow to see the dr and to take the dressings off to see how his hand looks now. They also used the new laser technology to smooth out scarring on other parts of his body from the burn. They look better but will require a few more treatments. So pray that when the dressing comes off all will be well. They are hoping to recover at least 90% use of hand which will be wonderful..
My irises are starting to bud out I have a yellow one in bloom today.. Yesterday I noticed theat my brug I left in the ground during the winter has started to put out leaves also.. I have lilies and hosta up everywhere.. ok guys Im on my way outside to see what I can get done today.. hugs Trish

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Trish, will be keeping your family in my prayers, and wishing a full recovery for your son. I have no doubts that God can make that happen, and we are praying for just that!

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Whew, we made it back home alive! We went from 83 degrees to 41 in 12 hours! Kind of tired, but glad to be home. Plenty of pictures and memories to sort out later. I think I need a nap, or a coffee, or something not sure what.

Al

Booneville, AR

hi everyone im back and i am beat op bumed out of my mind lost one of my fure criters the bid o the 20 year old cat went to the pet cemetary.that would be out by the pond under the big pine tree. i hate it when one of the pets pass on. i wlll miss him for a long time he sleeped on my feet.znd the yorkie fluff sleeps on my head.if im lucky he will go sleep on my feet. ill talk td him about that. they never sleep where you need them to.had to take shorties little toys and put them up he was driveing me nuts soueeking them wish he didn,t learn how to do that. just can.t handle that noise.im so glad al and wife are home. love nettie

This message was edited Mar 16, 2011 8:28 PM

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks huney - some days are better than others;o)

Glad you and the DW are home Al - sounds like you had a blast and I am looking forward to the pictures...

Nettie, I'm very sorry about your dear fur baby. 20 is very old for a kitty and I'm sure you gave him a great life. Hugs my friend.

I'm beat and about to call it a night.

Booneville, AR

thank you very much they are like my children. i wish i didn.t love them so much. i need to get myself back om track, need not to cry everytime i wake up to feed that cat he couldn,t remember eating and would make me get up in the midle of the night. and feed him/and of course i would do it im a push over. love nettie.

Booneville, AR

huney im praying your son gets better every day my dh ask about him a couple of weeks ago and i really couldn,t tell him because i hadn,t herd anything now i can tell him smothing tell us how he is doing more often. bill pray,s every day. i going to tell him he needs our prayers and so do you . love and hugs nettie

This message was edited Mar 16, 2011 9:17 PM

Good afternoon all. It is soooo nice here! 80* and sunny. But boy is it WINDY! Suppose to be this nice for the next week. Chances of storms too though. Can use the rain but hate our spring time storms.

I FINALLY found a Lollipop and Shrimp plant that I have been wanting so badly! When we were at the Lawn & Garden show, a guy that had a guttering or some such booth had one setting at his display. I asked if he wanted to sell it he said no, but told me where he got it. I got the last ones they had! WHEW! I'm so happy.

Welcome back Al .... we have missed you. I'm not sure my little tomato is going to make it. He had a couple leaves that seemed to of been frozen, but I was hoping his roots were good. He is just setting there, but I haven't given up hope on him yet.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

I'm just getting started with these pictures, we took over 500 photos to sort out! I will post a Snapfish album when all is said and done so everybody can easily see our vast collection without tying up Daves website.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad
Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Wow! Isn't that gorgeous! I could sit there and drink coffee all day! How cute!

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

One of my favorites was the Kauai Coffee Company. A beautiful factory tour with lavish garden areas. Of course the coffee was pretty good, too. I've got sample packs for everybody to send later.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad
Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Now that's a cup of coffee!! Just my size, if I could just keep it hot until it was all gone! I love the picture Al!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow Al - nice teasers;o) Can't wait to see all the pics. I've always wanted to go to Hawaii - now I can, through you!

Booneville, AR

al im looking foward to the pictures also sounds like lots of fun, im going to bed see everyone tomorrow. going to the city in the morning got a lows gift card its burning a hole in my purse. love to all nettie

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

If you haven't ever seen a Hawaiian Ti that's the tall red bush on the right. House plants don't get quite this tall. Red and green are very common colors, but there is rarer varigated variety also. They are grown from a log cutting about 2" long and 1/2" diameter soaked horizontal in a water tray. I have enough of these to send out to just about anyone who wants to try one.

Al

This message was edited Mar 18, 2011 5:53 AM

Thumbnail by lycodad
Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Coconut Palms are also pretty common, you could probably say they take up most of the landscape here. I learned one lesson the hard way, you don't stand near them on a windy day! The solid coconuts weigh about 15 lbs. and easily become airborn! It was a near miss, but I almost got beaned by one.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad
Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Wow! Those Ti's are gorgeous! I had never seen one, so am so glad you posted pictures! Hard to believe they grow from a little piece of wood to be so large! Very cool plants Al! And love the coconut story! LOL!! Heck, we were all worried about you in the tsunami and volcano, and here it was flying coconuts that were the real danger!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.