Heater placement?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I hope this hasn't been covered...

I've always had a heat source that I could move. This year I bit the bullet and got a nice big honkin' propane heater. Wherever it ends up will be it's permanent home.

My greenhouse is 8.5x25 with double doors at both ends. The heater does have to be 18" out from the wall. What I can decide is whether to place it at one end or the other or in the center somewhere? I'm sure I should read the heater info more intently but what is the line of thinking when you have a long narrow greenhouse?

Googling really didn't help me but I did see some really nice greenhouses. LOL I'll for sure have a potting bench and I'm also considering putting in a sink.

Thumbnail by Badseed
St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

That is a really a good question, Bad. Do you want a cool end?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I don't know. LOL For the past 5 years, I used one greenhouse for sprouting and rooting and one for overflow and later shade. Trying to heat was a pain because it was not big enough or too big for different heaters. Now I can use a real heater and I'm not sure where to put it. Either way, I can work out from the heater. I just made myself laugh because I'm ready to put the heater in and haven't decided where!

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

Michele
does this heater of yours blow (fan) warm air in all directions (360 degrees)?
which it would need to do if in the center

Quoting:
in the center somewhere? I'm sure I should read the heater info more intently

i have mine at one end blowing down the isle so there aren't any hot spots on the benches
and as low as possible since heat rises. i'm sure it is a little cooler on the other end but the diff must be so little i can't tell
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/653298/

Dick

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Dick,

I've not talked to you in forever! I enjoyed looking over and reading your greenhouse thread again! It seems like it was forever ago that you were building yours. Is it still serving you well? Are you keeping it full and enjoying it?

Sometimes I ask stupid questions, just making sure I'm thinking things through. LOL You made me laugh though. I'm sure it only blows out one side. :) I was not thinking of which direction it would actually be blowing as much as I was thinking about the distance it would have to blow the hot air. We'll call that a blond moment.

I pulled up the info again (as I've not even opened the box!). At the very bottom, it lists "Heat throw" in feet. Is that the fan output? Yes, blond still. There is a reason I leave electrical and plumbing up to my husband.

This is the link to the heater info. If you look across the top at the QV models, I have the 45. http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/heater-qvf.shtml

Thanks for popping in! It's nice to see you!

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

Michele
it looks like the 33 ft is the distance the heater will throw the warm air
so you most definitely have a heater big enuff :-)
i think your biggest concern will be the area closest to the heater for hot spots
18" around your heater is a rather large area lost 18+18+15=more then 4ft lost :-(

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I asked my husband if that is what the "Heat throw" meant and I'm not sure if he answered. LOL If it was for him, he'd know everything about it already. Geesh.

My original plan was to put it in the back right corner so nothing is really lost. On the double doors, I can leave one "fixed" and use the other. I mostly wanted doors on each end for air flow when it's hot out and so I don't have to walk all the way around/through if I want something from the other end. I can always start seeds closest to the heater and move them down as they sprout.

In my next life, I plan to have a bigger greenhouse, so I bought a bigger heater. I figured it might do better if and last longer if it didn't have to work at full strength all the time.

Thank you for your help. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.