#2- MID ATLANTIC BIRDS IN OUR GARDENS- NO CHAT

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We now have 4 eggs in the nest. I got a pic of Mama Bird but I'm not sure what she is.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

It looks like a female House Finch to me Holly.

Here is a female on my balcony...

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

And the male... in case you see a flash of pink or red around the yard.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Holly what a beautifulpicture....I'm guessing House Finch with out a better view of beak? And because of egg color. Hmm?

Yes... they can be from cream to pale blue, with some speckling.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

If it is house finch here's what you have to look forward to

http://www.thebirdersreport.com/camera-critters/house-finch-chicks-peep-for-camera-critters-34

And a cool link to nest and egg id s

http://www.thebirdersreport.com/egg-and-nest-identification

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

House finches are not native to the US
About them, at Sialis (No, not the medicine with a similar name!)

http://www.sialis.org/hofibio.htm

As non native birds, I wonder if the nest is "supposed to be" protected from tampering

Coleup... I never answered your questions!

I guess the walks came first, but I have always been a nature and animal lover. My Dad is retired from the Forest Service, and I got my love for the outdoors from him, and he taught me all about the trees and plants and wildlife in the woods. I didn't get into photography until my 20s, and I only bought my first DSLR three years ago.

Green Herons I will have access to all summer long to follow the nest and babies. They don't so much like to wade as perch on limbs right above the water line. Currently, the activity among them is males looking through the trees, trying to decide which limb Mama will want the nest on! They will start nesting soon though!

I do not have access to any GBH rookeries. They are a bit difficult to find, and in this area, they nest way up high in oak trees. I am aware of oone rookery on the wildlife refuge, but they have closed off access to it for the season, in the best interst of the herons.

I am following a pair of Osprey, and they are well. The female is currently sitting on eggs... probably another couple weeks to hatching.

I do have some baby CG photos though!
Goslings are so cute!

And more...

I love this one... with all of them running towards me!
Shallow DOF only allowed for one to be in focus.

Another Eastern Kingbird...

A Northern Rough-winged Swallow...

This message was edited Apr 29, 2011 11:05 AM

GBH close-up...

And a GH close-up...

Tree Swallow... what beauties they are!

And last for now... my female Osprey at her nest.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, I think you guys are right female house finch. I am so use to seeing the red male I wasn't thinking that the females aren't red. The nest and eggs look right. Last time I looked there were 4 eggs in the nest. Ric said he has been seeing a male hanging around and they are common for us.
VaWildRose, Did I see your name on the Birthday list a couple of days ago? I was sure I saw it but have been so busy I never got back to check or send you Birthday wishes. Your pictures are just beautiful. I so love seeing them. There was an older couple at Lowes today and the gentleman had a camera slung over one shoulder with a long lens on it. I told him he must be a bird watcher. He just brightened up and started to show me pic on his camera. Says he always has it with him, where ever he goes. LOL

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

edited to delete my post

This message was edited May 1, 2011 7:04 AM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, Answered your questions over on the chat thread.

Holly... thanks for your nice comments!
(Yes... I had a b-day a couple days ago...)

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Gita.................Please tell us in one word how your last post relates to the world of birds. Before you post your nice response....read your response and again....Please tell us in one word how your last post relates to the world of birds. No I am not having a bad hair day. ]:o)

Oh my goodness.................We have a visiting pair of Indigo Buntings. This only happens here maybe once in every five years. We have never had them nesting in our neighborhood territory. They were right in there with the finches chompping down on the smaller bird seed.

I saw Indigo Buntings at a park near here- Kinder Farm. I never have before and never would have wihtout the ranger-guide and the other experienced biders. They find all kinds of birds in the trees with skilled observation that I owuld and have completely missed.
I came home for lunch from work one time and saw two Evening Grosbeaks at the feeder. Never since, never before. I sure got lucky.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I checked the nest 5 eggs and I think she may be done as she is always on the nest. Flies off as soon as you head out the door but comes right back as soon as you are gone.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Doc--One word????

Sorry!!!

A few more words...I sometimes lose track what Thread i am on.....
Please--all of you "Bird Brains"----Forgive me!!!!! Hanging my head in shame.....

Mea Culpa---Gita

This "Bird Brain" has been conditioning it's feathers for some time for a flight to some other woods. Bye.......it has been very nice getting to know most of you all. I just can not stand the impending frequent inconsiderate hogging of the threads by spamming idiots some who think it is an honorable position assumed, cute or funny. Their inconsiderate ignorance shall no longer tease or jam what little brain I may have left.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

doc--

Your comments were not very kind....they were downright condescending.
Sorry you feel that way.

I will unwatch this Thread.....and try to stay to the ones with less restrictions.
To me--this has gone overboard....

Gita

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

WOW.

Good time for a new thread! Let's go to a new nest.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1177406/

This message was edited May 1, 2011 5:00 PM

Thumbnail by sallyg

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.