Hummingbirds

Seattle, WA

Not a plant, no, but a big part of my garden are the Anna's hummingbirds. Has anyone else noticed their absence since the last freeze? I suddenly noticed the feeder was frozen solid, and I fear that by the time I thawed it, the birdies may have given up the ghost. Usually they stick around all winter. I am so sad and guilt-ridden for not being more attentive.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I don't get year round hummers in my pocket of the world, so I always look forward to the first sound of them in the spring. Envious of those of those of you who do.

Lake Stevens, WA

I was at Wrights Nusery yesterday and a hummer was in the open air covered nusery checking out the helleborus.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I will take that as a sign that I should go dust off my feeders and get them loaded up. I usually get my first hummers mid to late March.

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

I plan to make my first batch of hbird nectar today. According to my calendar, I expect them anytime from the 8th to the 17th or so. According to Journey North, they might be just hanging loose for a few days until the weather improves.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

So, who uses hummingbird nectar, who makes sugar syrup, who uses or doesn't use food dye? I've done all of the above, usually settle on sugar syrup and it depends on my feeder if I use dye or not.

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

I use sugar water 4-1 boiled and then rely on the color of the feeder to attract the little critters. Works just fine. I find some of the "cutsy" feeders that have one tube coming out of them leak more than they attract the birds.

(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA(Zone 8a)

I just love having hummers buzzing around all year long and have had at least one Anna's hummer all winter for the last 3-4 years.......dutifully bring in the feeders in at dark when a freeze is expected. I use a cane sugar/water (sucrose) solution at the strength of 1 to 2 without dyes. I thouroughly clean the feeders at least every two weeks in the winter and weekly in the summer. I will hang 2 in the winter and up to 4 or 5 in the summer. Can't get enough of those little bity things with the major attitude.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I agree with Sharon and Linda, never, ever use the dyes, use 4:1 ratio. Works great!

That's also the recommendations on the Hummingbird society website: http://www.hummingbirdsociety.org/HB101/feeders.htm

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I use 4:1 also, don't bother to boil the water, just mix it up well to be sure it is all dissolved before putting it out. My current feeder is a pretty green stamped glass so no dye. I'm not totally convinced that dye is bad, there seems to be conflicting information on that, but for the time being I'm red-free.

(Ang) Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

I have been seeing hummers non-stop this winter, I've had a few run into me and I've had to pluck a few out of my hair. When they fight or chase each other they don't pay attention to where they are going. They keep checking out my little pink and orange primrose, I might buy a hellebores if they like those! I've had to make nectar nonstop (4:1 mix, boil the water, no dye.) Unfortunately for the past week of rain they haven't been on my deck because of the enormous flicker that keeps camping out during heavy rains. Thankfully they can find about 10 feeders near by (neighbors all have them.)

Seattle, WA

Linda, you are a paragon of virtue for being so disciplined! I will be so much more careful in the future. I believe most people around here think the hummers all go away for the winter (just because THEY would like to!), and even those who put out feeders neglect them in the winter. Wish there could be a better education plan for the public. I concentrate on those little babies because at least they aren't fighting the squirrels and crows for the food. I am always on the lookout for an efficient cleaning brush to remove the icky black stuff from the feeders. I started out by switching from plastic to glass, which seems to release the mold easier. As has been pointed out, there are some very artsy feeders out there, some of which I own. They are for decoration only due to what I perceive as design flaws. Drips are definitely undesirable along with hard to clean angles. I'm still hoping my regulars will return, or at least their buddies....

My memory is so terrible but I try to clean it when I remember. They give me plenty of reminders, like hovering outside the window or zooming up when they see me. That is the perfect sign that I need to get to making more.

My feeder is a simple feeder I bought from Petsmart. It's red, with glass top, and super easy to clean. I'd like to get some of those glass ones PARASOL, especially ones I can stick into containers for additional feeders. They are decorative so might not work as well.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I don't ever see any during the winter. Mine leave around end of August, or at least they quit coming to my feeder. I would think if they were still around I'd see one flying by now and again to check on supply? Perhaps I'm too far from the open water, seems they are more abundant year-round closer to salt water, particularly the coastal areas. In any event, I've cleaned my feeder and put it out to see who comes. I have a little bit of everything under a covered porch right outside the window where I work on the computer - open feeder, tower feeder, suet cage, hummer tube. Keeps me amused.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> lookout for an efficient cleaning brush to remove the icky black stuff from the feeders.

Maybe soak it with Hydrogen Peroxide?

Corey

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

http://www.phoebeallens.com/

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I've got my eyes on this set of "vase brushes" from Lee Valley: http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?cat=2,50560,10209&p=10209
I like that they have bristles/cotton on the end as well as along the length. They might be too big for hummer feeders, not sure, but they look great for most vases & bottles.

I like the hummzinger feeders by Aspects for cleaning, but unfortunately they are plastic. They've held up well but I do wonder if they're leaching anything. I'm not sure the design would work if it was all glass, though.

(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA(Zone 8a)

I use one of those reusable "paper" towels and a wire with a hook and that seems to work fairly well. About 2 or 3 times a year I will soak the feeders in a weak sloution of bleach and water and rinse well.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Maybe wrap a nylon scrubbing pads around several toothbrushes, or a worn-out brush that was too small? I've done that, and tied them in place with waxed twine pulled tight enough that it doesn't abrade.

I bought a set of those Drinkwell Pet Fountain brushes (found at Petco) and use the small brush that came with our glass straws. The last one works really good for the ports while the others help a bit with the bottle and the plastic parts.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

About 1 day after putting up my hummingbird feeder, along came a hummer. Have only seen a couple, but glad I got them out. Let the season begin.

Seattle, WA

Amen to that, Bonehead! You catch on real quick! Remind me---where IS Cedarhome?

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Cedarhome is a rural area northwest of the city of Stanwood. I prefer to identify myself with Cedarhome - I like the name, and I'm not too thrilled with the conservative nature of Stanwood.

Philomath, OR

I had my first hummer of the season show up this weekend, a little male Rufous. He must be from last year, because he buzzed around where I hang my feeder up looking confused (I had pulled it in for the winter). Both feeders were filled and out within 2 hours of him appearing and he's been happily buzzing back and forth from one to the other. I use a 4:1 water sugar solution (a smidge more sugar early in the season to tempt them), boiled, no dye. My feeders are the glass Wild Birds ones with a red base and I have the little tiny brush and the bigger bottle brush for easier cleaning.

I don't have year round residents, there are probably some at the lower elevations nearby.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I don't have much trouble keeping my feeder clean. Maybe because I hang it under my front covered porch and it only gets a short amount of morning sun, so doesn't ferment? I've never had any icky black stuff. Or ants.

Knock on wood.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.