March Chat Time

(karen) Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Janie and I used our Groupon at Good Earth yesterday - yes breaking the we're not buying anything rule as well. Course she bought a trellis and I bought some sweet potato vines and a couple of lantana. It isn't really breaking the rule if you don't buy perennials RIGHT????

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

You guys are getting so much work doneon your beds, I'm slowly not getting anything done boo hoo. so many spring weeds out there I need to pull. I have about l hr in the evening time to spend outside, that's it. Will just have to make do this year, I shouldn't really buy any plants, but i'm hoping it puts me in the mood to arrange my time schedule to get some yard work done.

But you know, if I wasn't going off gallivanting around with the girls this sat lol I might have some time to spend in the flowr garden. Darren told me he'd help me plant a bunch of stuff if I bought him this one cologne he was wanting. Sooooo , he'll be smellin good before long. he's such a big help to me.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

My yard is in such a mess right now! I moved some of my brugs the other day because I realized they were blocking my view of the azaleas that are about to bloom. I'm still keeping them grouped together in case the temps dip and I need to cover or something! The walkways are lined with plants!! Then the front bed has weeds that need to be pulled! Still have a bunch of leaves that need to come out of the beds in the back yard. Maybe the aguga will cover them up and I can forget about them!!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Karen forgot to say I haven't used my Groupon yet but have it in my purse ready!!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I think I've decided just to buy seeds and cast them so the flowers will cover up the weeds lol

I just bought 5,000 mission bell poppies off ebay, going to plant themas soon as i get them

maybe they'll cover up the weeds out there.

I have other seeds coming up out there in the back flower bed trying not to pull them as i pull weeds. I have no idea what I planted this past winter, but I can see two groups of seedlings coming up. it will be a nice surprise when they do all show up if they do. I just hope all the poppies I planted this winter will put on a show for me this year.

We're in the midst of putting in our vegetable garden also, so far I haven't had a chance to help out with that at all. I hope he gets the electric fence up around it soon before my peas come up and the deer take over. Riley seems to do a good job of keeping all the critters out of the yard.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I was just reading that first article on the right side of the page. Spring is here. Don't touch that shovel. Reminded me that I have a couple of begonia's popping up. I've had them come back before, but with the really cold temps we had this year I was really surprised. Kathy Ann mentioned she didn't use a lot of mulch because of the things she has that reseed. I'm like her. I just use a very light amount - mainly to just dress it up and cover the dirt. I have too many things that reseed also. Like she said in the article, I've found the things that reseed to stronger than the plants I buy at the nursery. I see lots of little seedlings in the back now. My hanging basket that had the black eyed susan vine has several seedlings that are now several inches tall. I'm hoping it's the susie vine that's coming up and not something else! Time will tell!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm I chatty or what this morning!!!LOL
Cell phone numbers will be released to telemarketers in about a month. If you haven't already done so, you need to register your cell phone for the do not call list. A friend sent me the number to call this morning. I just registered my cell phone and it just took a few seconds. The number is 888-382-1222.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I just got an email from my friend saying to disregard the number above. She says snopes says it is a hoax. Sorry!

Ripley, MS

Charlotte, I have a pack of the Susie vine seeds, I am planning on planting, if I get them up I will bring you one when we go to Ritas.

I think today is worse than yesterday, maybe by tomorrow I will be much better. I am hating missing these pretty days outside, but sure don't need to be out in the March wind, even if I felt like it.

Kathy Ann--when you gave us the thormopsis seeds, you had another seed you gave us too--can you remember what those were, I have some plants up from them, but did not put a name on them. They came up last fall and survived the winter in their pots, but since I can't remember what they are, I don't know where to plant them ????

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

There's a thermopsis golden bean and thermopsis golden banner.

I'll see you ladies in the morning! at 9:00 we're gonna get wet but I know I won't melt!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

No Kathy Ann we want melt - learned that long time ago!! Maybe the weather want be too bad.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I hope not, was hoping for some sunshine and short sleeves, but I think we'll need jackets lol. But if I have to wear a hat, scarf and gloves, that is what i'll do lol

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Same here! My rubber boots are in the truck.

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

WHAT? Y'all are coming tomorrow? Oh No! Just kidding. I cannot wait to see all of you. I will be ready to go by 9 if not sooner...I mean by 8:59 ;o))

The girls are here....we will show off our loot later!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Have fun!!! HUGS to you all!!!

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Wandering around the yard between rain storms today and took a few photos. Meant to post some of these last week of the work we've been doing to some of the foundation beds. This one verbena really took off already and the JM near it that I planted last year is doing great so far.

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying

One of the iris blooming.

I dug up some old Stella d'Oro's and divided some Black-eyed susan's at the corner of the garage and planted this Winter Daphne. It blooms in late winter and smells great. I hope it does well here.

Well, the girls just left, and did we have FUN! We missed y'all and talked about each one of you ;o)) I believe we went to 7 nurseries...6 and one little shop that sells pools and plants. We also stopped at the place that sells fountains, pots and garden art, but no purchases. Cannot wait to do it all again...

Charlotte, thanks so much for driving! And letting us get in with our very muddy boots!

This is the loot that I brought home:
Summer Breeze Hosta---with an added sedum...okay, I found it on the floor and rescued it. lol
Eared Lady Fern
Artillary Fern
Gold Peacock Fern
Frilly Peacock Fern
Ruby Red Peacock Fern
Diamond Frost
Petunia Phantom
Supertunia Citrus
Party Time

Thumbnail by duckmother

Part of my back-yard shade beds. The tulips are budding and my one surviving azalea in this bed is blooming. The huge oakleaf hydrangea is leafing out and there is a small dogwood that is blooming for the first time.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

We're back! Hit 6 nurseries but I think we were pretty good today! Everyone bought several things. It was drizzling rain most of the day but you know a little rain can't slow serious shoppers down! Too wet for taking pictures today - will have to show our stuff later!

Oh Cindy, that sounds like y'all had so much fun and the plants are bee-you-te-full!!! Very large and healthy!! I hope it dries out enough to plant soon! It is so wet here, but I think I needed the rest this weekend or at least today, lol! I dug all last weekend and then at my daughter's on Wednesday after work!

My Crimson Queen JM by the pond got me out in the yard this afternoon to shoot a few photos...the sun came out for a few minutes and it was bright red.

We dug up 3 weeping yaupon hollies that I had begun to hate and planted 2 Holmstrup Arbovitae (they grow very slowly and only get about 5-7' tall by 2-3' wide). I need to go buy another one I think. The gold mop chamaecyparis are doing ok. They are about 3 years old and I'll probably keep them here.

Another back corner where I dug up all the yarrow and some big old roots of a crepe myrtle that kept sprouting. I planted the sky-pencil hollies last year and the DL's have been there a couple of years. Put some new echinacea in behind the DL's; a couple of pink and hot-pink varieties. And there is also a white clematis that has been there a while. I hadn't finished putting all the pine straw in when I made the pic. Or cleaning up all my junk and tools, lol!

Charlotte and all you gals who went shopping - if y'all just had a few sprinkles you were really lucky. We had really heavy downpours off and on all day!! Six nurseries is good!! I don't know how you held back!!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Just got back home, brought in all the gingers and some ee's I had already brought out side, and brought in all the veggie plants because I think it's going to get cold, Still have all the stuff in the trunk and what charlotte brought me today, I might leave it there till morning.

had a great time ladies!!!

Thanks Charlotte for carting us around all day!

marilyn we sure missed you on this trip! Hope your safe in harrison by now.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Elaine your been busy! It really looks good!

Yes Marilyn, we did miss you today! We ate at the same Mexican place you took us to last spring. Hope you had a safe trip back to Harrison!

Kathy Ann that's probably a good idea to just leave all your stuff in the car until tomorrow.

Batesville, AR(Zone 7a)

I just now made it home. Had a wonderful time seeing everyone.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Glad you made it home safe Loretta!

Baton Rouge, LA

Hello All - Just poking around... wondering if we have a Round Up in my area....
I've a few things to share ... not sure if this is the proper forum to post in......

HUGS all,

Mary
Baton Rouge LA... 8B

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, I am "home" in Harrison now! Got here with the truck and furniture about 4:45 p.m. Had two movers ready to unload the truck and they didn't waste any time--everything was unloaded by 6 p.m.! We will have to make one trip back to Cabot to get a few odds and ends of things but we will do that on Thursday and then I will be out of there! Looking forward to my new life here in Harrison! I missed being with you all yesterday but maybe I can join you on April 16th--will have to wait and see how that works out for me. Love you all!

Mary, I don't believe there is a Spring RU planned for your area. I am not certain that there is going to be one in AR, MS or TN. We are planning a trip to TN and MS (all meeting in Memphis) to go to nurseries to buy plants. That is about as close to an RU that there is so far. Keep checking, this can easily change...

Kim

Oops, forgot to say...Marilyn yesterday was not the same without you! Glad you made it safe and sound. Now the fun part begins-putting everything away and it its place. yuck

This message was edited Mar 27, 2011 7:38 AM

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I'm so glad that Yall had so much fun!!! I'm going to look for a new thread.

Marilyn I'm so glad that you made it. Take a little time before you dive into putting everything away. Things kinda find a place all by themselves.

Hi Mary, Cindy and I are planning on going to Forrest Hill. Just don't know when. I'm hung up in the Weeping Willow bed. There is a weed from h*** in this bed. Good thing Easter is so late this year. It's taken me to then to be ready. Would you like to join up with us for that adventure? Let us know.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

someone does need to make a new thread, I'll post my picture of my brugs Charlotte gave me on the new thread and tell what all i got yesterday lol

Well, since no one else has started a new thread.....I will.

New thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1167510/

This message was edited Mar 27, 2011 12:03 PM

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

It's slow growing here, but there are a few things blooming.

here's my finds from yesterday

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

woops, posted that in the wrong thread.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.