Almost Spring! How are the cuttings doing?

Danville, IN

I hear you, Dale. Florida conditions are sure different from the Midwest. The cuttings or plants we have to buy in the spring are usually around $5 @, and we can't even put them out until the middle of May. Early October frosts end the season, so if we can start with nice sized plants that we overwintered, we can enjoy their effect in the garden, since they are large enough to see them, for weeks longer than otherwise.

Still cool and wet here this spring, but we need all the rain to make up for the drought last summer and fall.

Norristown, PA

$2.50 or so for a 4" pot here outside of Philadelphia unless you can find 6-paks of stuff like the Wizard Series or Carefree or Black Dragon if you are lucky.

We are on the same schedule as the Midwest -- same latitude, roughly with some microclimate considerations that can be better or worse depending on large bodies of water like bays or the oceans in my general tri-state area.

S.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Yes, Dale, I would love some of each.
I am also battleing a herd of mischievous squirrels on top of everything else. It appears they enjoy just digging up the rooted coleus balls and tossing them to the side or on the ground. At least they don't chomp into the stems. (Knock on wood!) LOL
I have resorted to sprinkling some "Repel all" around the planter boxes. It has garlic and dried blood in it. Hope it doesn't attract some Italian Turkey Buzzards.
Sidney

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Sidney,

If you have the time - covering the top of the pot with chicken wire helps.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Athens, PA

Dale

that is gorgeous!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Gee, it's a mirror image of my plants! Ha ha ha ha.

Bolivar, OH

Minor catastrophe here last night. Temps got down to 33 and I didn't get my coleus in from my unheated greenhouse. Looking on the bright side, they are still alive and only half of them were out there. The rest are still living happily in my living room.

Dale -- loved the pic! How gorgeuos!

Lake Stevens, WA

These are my cuttings taken in the fall. Lost many but some still live on.

Thumbnail by springcolor
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

nice!!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

SpringColor,

Is that snow recent?

From the orchid show today>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Lake Stevens, WA

No snow just a reflection on the glass. One of our rare sun breaks.
Nice orchid.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Overall, I'm glad I took the cuttings and will probably do it again. I ended up with enough that I won't have to buy any new ones this year and had some Persian Shields to give away. I didn't use supplemental lighting at all, just set them in a South Window.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

News tonight said Utah, Northern Nevada and Colorado has 750% increase in snow level. Now if they get warm weather to soon, then, especially Utah, will get flooding big time.

I got my order from Rosey Dawn. Planted on Saturday. We were 93 degrees yesterday. Tomorrow low 80s and Tuesday mid 70s with rain and then back up. Poor coleus probably they have been planted in hell.

I had Red Planet last year and it was just about like a neon sign in the filtered shade. I loved it and forgot to order. Hopefully I can find it locally. They always bring in the coleus about one month too late.

Love to you all from the Southwest. By the time you are planting, we will be heading for the beach to get away from the triple digit temperatures. Sharon.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My RD order came yesterday.
Why do I bother to take cuttings when their plants are so big and hearty. I have had my cuttings in for nearly a week and not much sigh of progress. Some are doing better than others,Mahogany Giants,Kingwood Karnival.I think they are indestructable. My Trailing Queens are dropping leaves due to a couple of nights near 40*
I suspect everything will catch up in a month.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Here are 2 containers ,just planted Wednesday.
#1 My Kingwood Karnival cutting,at the right,their RedCoat.
The KK in this pot was a parent plant,so its larger than other cuttings.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

#2 Their Electric Lime and Trailing Burgandy and my Mahogant Giant.
The marker indicated there are bulbs in that spot.

This message was edited May 27, 2011 3:58 AM

Thumbnail by ge1836
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

very nice JoAnn

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I keep a monthly file from now on. I love to watch the progress.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I love that too

Mount Laurel, NJ

I'm slow in getting all my coleus planted. I made too many cuttings this year (and probably will next year too, ha ha). I was going to get started early today to beat the heat, and already at 10am it is 88 degrees, and probably 100 or more in the sun. I got my porch boxes done at least. The one in the center is a sport of 'twist n twirl', and on the ends is 'raspberry sun'. I think they both will tolerate some sun, but they won't get any here, so hopefully they'll do ok in full shade.

Thumbnail by coleuslover123
Mount Laurel, NJ

This is the other box. Not the same but close enough to look symetrical I think. The one in the center is 'lime frills' and on the ends is 'kona red'. 'kona red' sure looks a lot like 'atlas'. Only when they are next to each other, can I sometimes tell the difference. 'kona red' is slower growing and smaller though.

Thumbnail by coleuslover123
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

looking good!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.