New to Nepenthes - questions and pictures

Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

I got my first Nepenthes over the summer at a local nursery, and just bought several more from Exotic Plants Plus. Tony is located close to where my DH had a meeting, and was nice enough to meet him with a box. My goodies:
lowii x campanulata

Thumbnail by dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

ventricosa x maxima

Thumbnail by dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

spectabilis x ventricosa

Thumbnail by dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

spectabilis x aristolochioides

Thumbnail by dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

ventricosa x glandulifera

Thumbnail by dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

NOID

Thumbnail by dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

This is from the nursery where I purchased Miranda. Is this ventrata?

Thumbnail by dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

Close up of a pitcher

Thumbnail by dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

And one last question. What is happening to the leaves on Miranda?

Thumbnail by dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

Close up

Thumbnail by dbsmith2
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

My Miranda did the same thing - it looks pitiful! I had it in the heated greenhouse over the winter - could it be too much humidity?

Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

Mine is also in a heated greenhouse (cause otherwise it would be below zero!). I keep it at a minimum of 62 degrees for the begonias. They pout if it's too cold.

Mine was kept at around 55 degrees - the leaves all turned brown and papery - any idea why?

Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

I hang it under the bench. I was wondering if it was caused by the other plants dripping on it.

Mine was hanging on a rod in the greenhouse - nothing dripping on it.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I would say it is either getting too much light and got burned, or it has a fungus (Rust -- don't know what it is: mold, fungus, . . . ?) I would psray it down with Neem and shade it a bit.

I get papery leaves from not enough water if the plant gets pot bound. I repot in a larger pot with some newer medium.

I would say the plant posted is a N. ventrata.

I wouldn't worry about too much humidity for Nepenthes. I don't think there's any such thing. My mirandas stay outside until it hits 33 degrees. Same with the ventratas. No problems. Then they come in the house. Only the lowlands really need to stay warm in winter. I have a problem keeping them watered enough through winter since the pots drain which isn't great in the house. All my Nepenthese except lowlands are back outside on the screened porch even though it is in the 40s right now. But I am talking about mirandas and ventratas which are intermediates.

Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

Definitely not too much light - it's hanging under the bench in the greenhouse. I will look into Rust. Thank you for the ID on the ventrata.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Mine get rust frequently. I spray it down with the Neem and the new leaves come out much healthier. If the plants are new, sometimes they go through some shock when they come home. By spring the plants should look much better.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.