Hey, my Dutch Iris are coming up all over the place.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Your terrace is great, Rita!

I have to check my DI growth.

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Here is a stand of the dutch iris , there are some daylily fans coming up in front of them.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

Again.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

This picture shows some TB iris I planted last year with some Dutch Iris comming up between them that I added last fall.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Those are good pix. Now I'll go check outside.

Cathy- Did you find any coming up?

This shows the section of the garden were most of the Dutch Iris were planted. You can see them running accross the garden there in back of the daylily section.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I think what I assumed were dwarf iris are probably the DIs. The foliage is similar to the spent iris reticulata. All of a sudden, everything is turning green. I think we've got frittilaria coming up that I assumed died last year. It is possible that they are hyacinths, but I distinctly remember planting frits there in fall of 2009. They were destroyed by lily beetles and my lack of experience.

I don't know what the folliage of iris reticulata looks like because I never had any. But I don't see how Dutch Iris folliage could look like any bearded iris folliage as those fans are flat and coming out of a rhizome. The Dutch Iris just come straight up out of the bulb in the ground.

Pleasant Grove, UT

Reticulata foilage emerges after they bloom. It is dark green and looks something like coarse grass. Dutch iris foilage looks similar but emerges before the DI bloom.

Thanks, good to know :-))

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

The foliage of my Dutch iris resembles wild onions or wild garlic as we call it around here. Can be a foot tall but very thin, leaves are flat instead of round and hollow as is the onions.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

The iris reticulata foliage goes on forever. The little tips turn brown early. I'll keep my eyes open for Dutch iris.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

My iris reticulata foliage gets taller and taller and taller! I had 2 clumps this year that did not bloom. They were so pretty last year and I was looking so forward to the blooms and fullness. And nothing!

The first one blomed today.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

It was worth the wait, wasn't it?! Now comes the knowledge that many more will follow. Congrats:)

I just couldn't believe how pretty it is. It doesn't look like that much in the picture but it is really pretty when you see it in person. Lots more coming!

Dutch Iris blooming amoung the TB Iris.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Lovely, thank you for posting your pictures.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Rita you are so lucky they are out, and very pretty. These are from last year. The colors are more vivid in some photos than others, and yours may photograph a bit different tomorrow if it's sunny.

Marcia

This message was edited May 22, 2011 6:16 PM

Thumbnail by cathy166

Well, I have lots that are no were near ready to bloom but these yellow ones did start. That's ok, makes the bloom season last longer if all don't start at the same time. I just love them and am planning on ordering more to plant this fall.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I've got these wonderful yellow irises blooming now, and I think it is their first year blooming. For reasons unknown they did not bloom last year. There are now so many different irises, and even though I take lots of photos, I can't always remember which are which. I can see the ensatas growing well and hope the dutch irises bloom this year.

I love the dutch iris as the bloom looks so different from the bearded iris. Looks really different from my Siberian irises also. Love my iris.

Dutch Iris all just about ready to bloom.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Rita, they look like they all be open soon. Do they have more than one bud per stalk? Boy, now that it got so warm, everything is getting ready to pop. I have some more irises in the making, but I'm not sure if they Dutch iris or ensatas. So far, that bulbs of Dutch iris I planted this year are still only about 3 inches high. You may be right about planting in the fall even though I bought them in the spring.
Marcia

I have tried them in the spring many times. They never came to anything. People told me to just plant them in the fall so that is what I did last year. They only have one bloom per stalk.

Open and blooming

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I may try the Dutch Iris this fall.....have to think about that one. I really like the blooms too but not sure they would do well here.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

There is now such a variety in wait or in bloom that I hope the DIs come up. At least I know what to look for in terms of last year's blooms.

Irises in a more shady spot come up later in the season. There are a few "rings" (the way they spread) what I think are siberians and soem tall bearded.

This is the first time I've had irises fall over (from rain).

I had lots fall over from the rain also and have been staking lots of them. Just too much rain. But its nice out now.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

We've had too much wind and rain. And it's still raining. And cooler. I sure hope we have some sunshine and warmer temps for this weekend!

Debbie

blue ones

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

more blue

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

lots of blue ones

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

These are a lighter color.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I see a few perennial gladiola in the "lots of blue ones" post! I have a few of those also!

I am seriously thinking about adding the DI this fall!

I didn't order them. They were hitchhikers with my dutch iris. But the pink really looks good mixed in with the blue.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I actually ordered mine year before last. When they started coming up I couldn't remember what they were. Then they started blooming and the lightbulb turned on! But I have no idea where I ordered them! hahaha!

debbie

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Rita, they look great. Do I see little lupines in between? Such interesting foliage.

I think I'll some DIs tomorrow.

Yes, you have a good eye. There is a strip running along in back of the dutch iris and in front of the bearded iris. In March I sowed it with annual Lupine seeds. They took awhile to get going but little bloom spikes are just, just starting to show up. All still green yet.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.