Major Mealy Bug Issue

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

My greenhouse is 8' x 16'. I am having a major problem with mealy bugs...the white cotton looking bugs. I have way to many plants to use a Q-Tip and swab off each one with alcohol, as they are along the stems and in the crevices of the plants. What would be a solution I could use to eliminate these pesky bugs?

I am not opposed to using chemicals in my greenhouse. These are flowering plants....not vegetables. I will soon start veggie seeds, and would like to eliminate the bugs before starting my seeds.

Suggestions please, please, please

Thanks,
Debbie

Midlothian, VA

I was just going to post a question to identify a white "cottony" looking creature. From your description, it may be a mealy bug. If that's true, I will wait to see what comments are made as well. Thank you for posting.

Thumbnail by Indi1
Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Yep...Mealy Bugs

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

BATS - Bayer Advanced Tree and Shrub applied as a soil drench at 1 ounce per gallon of water will get rid of them in short order. It is a systemic that will work its way up through the plants vascular system and kill the little buggers as they feed. It is very safe, I've been using it for years - its main ingredient is used in flea collars.

Midlothian, VA

Perfect! Thanks

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

So BATS isn't to strong for houseplants like hoyas or tropical plants? Helenchild posted about doing the Palmolive dish soap dunk for her Mom's hoyas and the mealies didn't come back.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/995377/

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

BATS will not work on Spider Mites, but for everything else it knocks them dead. For people who want to go the organic route - you have my respect, but for myself, I want those aphids and mealies gone for sure and BATS will do just that. Another off label use - it will rid your Oriental Lilies free of the killer Asiatic Lily Beetle for the entire season! I swear by it as a preventative.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Whiteflies too????

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

I have never seen a whitefly on any of my plants so I would have to say yes it must kill them as well. I just though of another side benefit of BATS; after a good dose, within 10 days there is not a Fungus Gnat to be found either. I think that the larvae that feed on the organic matter in the soil must consume it and die.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

I haven't tried it yet...but I've heard it's safe to use in your Butterfly and Hummer garden's too.

Midlothian, VA

I did try the Bayer Advanced Tree and Shrub. It wiped out the mealy bugs and I never saw another white fly either, which were there before. Great stuff! Thanks Hoya_24

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I use it spring and fall on all houseplants including the Hoyas and succulents. It works fine.
I wondered if you couldn't put the mixture in a spray bottle and spot kill also?

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I tried it the other day in my hose end sprayer...........arghhhh...........didn't work, it's too thick to suck it through. Guess I will have to get out the 5 gallon pail and do it that way. Mix, mix, mix.............

WOw! How much did you dilute? When I've used it, it was mostly water.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I didn't dilute............poured it straight into the jar, then it mixes as you water. It was too thick to get sucked up that little tube, I guess.

Gotcha! I missed reading 'hose end sprayer' ~ my mistake.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Do you use the same dilution as is recommended on the label ?
Also...I can't find where I had read about it being safe to use in Butterfly/hummer gardens. But I just read on anther forum that is NOT safe for BF/Hummer gardens.. Both use my hoyas for nectaring.
So far I've not had a problem with pests on my hoyas...they live outside and I think that may make a difference but I've had mealies on a few other things.
So now I'm on the fence again...........grrrrr.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.