How do I kill poison ivy with out killing other shrubs and plants?

Saint Louis, MO

I am needing to know how to kill poison ivy vines with out killing other plants its decided to grow in. I had a seven sisters climbing rose bush that was handed down to me that was once my grandparents. Poison ivy started to grow in it and roundup was used on the poison ivy and it killed the roses. Lukily i have another rose bush growing from this when i sepparated the bush into 2 plants when i planted them. Now I have poison ivy growing in my pussywillows. Roundup was used the year before last and almost killed my pussywillows out. Their coming back now but full of poison ivy again. I've also tried digging some roots out but appearently not successful in getting out all the roots. Also have poison ivy growing in my mint now and affraid to use my mint. HELP PLEASE!! I'm also extremely allergic to poison ivy. HOW DO I GET RID OF THIS EXTREMELY INVASIVE PLANT WITHOUT KILLING EVERYTHING ELSE??

Pulling my hair out over this. lol

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Unfortunately there's no easy way to do that when it's tangled in with other things. Any kind of weed killer that kills poison ivy will also kill your other plants. One way is to get in their and paint the weed killer onto the leaves instead of spraying so you can make sure it just goes on the poison ivy. That can be quite time-consuming if you have a lot of poison ivy unfortunately but it will avoid killing your other plants.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Arch, I made a funnel out of a quart orange juice container by cutting off the bottom and taped it on the round-up sprayer. I put it down over the base of the poison ivy and spray. it keeps the spray from hitting the other plants. You may get a little die-off still, but less than if you had sprayed normally. I've also used the paint brush trick on upper leaves as shared by ecrane. Make sure to spray when there is no wind.

I live near the airport in St. Louis, nice to meet you!

Saint Louis, MO

thanks cathy, Archsquash is several people gardening in several locations, South St. Louis co., House Springs, Cedar Hill, St. Clair, all in Missouri and with a common mentor who is no longer able bodied enough to plant veggie gardens herself anymore.
You never know who you may be tallking to with Archsquash , we all share the same DG account.

That's a nice thing, learn as much as you can. I sure wish I'd asked my Grandpa more questions when he was still here.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

I recently read about a garden tool ...sorry can't remember the name... It is a hollow rod and it has a pronged end ..... It can be filled with any sort of liquid plant killer/control. And the liquid can be placed exactly where you want it by pushing the end into the soil next to what you want to kill without jeopardizing surrounding plantlife. I don't know that the poison ivy vine can be killed by solely treating at the base, but if it can, this may be a solution.

Killer Cane? I've not seen them in years, they were very good for weeds in the grass.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

I use a foam paint brush and a small jar of straight Roundup....managed to get a huge poison ivy vine out of an azalea with out digging either one up, or killing the azalea.

I guess it is a Killer Cane --but that name isn't ringing a bell. It must be an old idea recycled -sounded good to me, I meant to order but forgot about it until I read this thread.

It is an old idea redone. In the olden days, haha, it had a spring, when you pushed it down the "juice" squirted out. Now it is a spongey thing on the end, probably uses less of the chemical.

E-mail: info@weedkillercane.com

Quantity
Weed Killer Cane (1) $7.99 Case Pack (12) $50.00

Myrtle Beach, SC

I use flower tubes like you get from the florist on roses. I had some laying around that I had saved and so I filled them up with Roundup. I cut the tops off the poison ivy vine a foot from the ground and inserted the vine end into the tube. All the PI roots died. Works on other vine weeds, too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.