Which invasive plant is the most troublesome in your garden?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 156 votes:

Bermudagrass (Cynodon dactylon)
(57 votes, 36%)
Red dot

Honeysuckle (Lonicera japonica)
(9 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Bittercress (Cardamine hirsuta)
(4 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Kudzu (Pueraria montana var. lobata)
(3 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Purple Loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria)
(3 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Alligator Weed (Alternanthera philoxeroides)
(2 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Blackthorn (Acacia nilotica)
(0 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Other. (tell us!)
(78 votes, 50%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

My villain is creeping buttercup - ranunculus repens. Not yet listed as an invasive plant in Washington, but is on the "weed of concern" list. Originally from Europe and is quite troublesome for me, although I do attempt to coexist with it -- I've had many non-gardeners complement me on the pretty yellow flower mixed here there and everywhere in my beds! And of course I do have fond childhood memories of holding the flower beneath our chins to see who likes butter.

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

Glechoma hederacea, Creeping Charlie. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Buttercup. It's horrid and invades everything.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

cayratia japonica

Windsor, CT(Zone 6a)

I can handle whatever pops up in the garden. It's everywhere else that's a got a real problem-Japanese knotweed, Burning bush, Bittersweet & Multiflora Rose. And Barberry. And Phragmities (sp?).

This message was edited Feb 28, 2011 3:47 PM

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Japanese Honeysuckle...noxious weed here, and our woods are choked with it.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Mouse eared chickweed, taking over my backyard

Jasper, AR(Zone 7a)

poison ivy here-noxious in more ways than one.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Bush honeysuckle and chickweed. The honeysuckle isn't a problem in my yard, though I have it, but in the woods around here. Also japanesse bindweed.

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

That purple stuff that is in bloom. Both varieties. Wild onion, bermuda, ground ivy, honeysuckle, mimosa, morning glories, Johnson grass, and whatever else I do not want in my yard. I have tried to find out the name of the purple stuff but will have to keep searching. Luciee

Post a pic and someone will identify it for you.

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

I found it on Dave's weeds. It is red deadnettle, Lamium Purpurum, and henbit, Lamium amplexicaula. Thanks! Luciee

I voted other.

I constantly battle Creeping Charlie. It "creeps over from two adjoining neighbors yards, even though I spray several feet of their property (with their permission) with weed and feed .

Milkweed vine is another pest. I keep all the starts pulled up in my yard but several of the neighbors let them grow wild.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Other for me as well. It's Houttuynia Cordata 'Chameleon', beautiful but it runs rampant.

It's the very colorful leaf seen here:

Thumbnail by pirl
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Creeping Charlie, Glechoma hederacea. Beautiful little lavender dragon flowers but invasive and annoying.

The Hottuynia Cordata is really pretty but I don't want any of that, either! :)

Hey- maybe we could swap and put them together in a hanging basket...!

I've sent it to two people who really wanted it - one in Las Vegas and one in Arkansas. It died for both of them. How I wish it would just die for me. My helper and I sprayed it many times last fall so I'm hoping we finally killed it.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

My least favorite invaders are bur buttercup and alfalfa. The people we bought our house from had nothing but dirt and weeds in the backyard and we're still digging out alfalfa roots.

(Zone 7a)

My invasive is plain old sod grass. I can't seem to stay on top of it. I have borders on my beds but it just goes under them. I should have made them deeper.

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

Chinese tallow trees. They're everywhere and reseed like mad.

Privet. Can't kill it.

Chamberbitter. Horrible weed.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

The bermuda grass really likes my garden. It creeps under the fence and a 2 ft brick path from my neighbor's backyard. I'm finally getting a handle on it though the "war" has been going on for 20 years. It will probably find & cover me when I'm dead & buried. LOL

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Hey pirl, I have seen cordata for sale. Thanks for posting it. I know not to buy it, even though it is pretty. Since this is invasive plant week, I will add some more weeds: white clover, monkey grass ,(just try to get rid of it) mondo grass, (been digging that up too) wild strawberry, nut sedge, canadian thistle, etc. I know all these are not invasive, but I'm just listing weeds. Luciee

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I'm with the Bermudagrass group. It grows anywhere...in my flowerbeds, in my containers, under landscape fabric...under my paved driveway. In the event of a nuclear disaster, it would survive along with the roaches.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I voted honeysuckle, since it has almost killed a few shrubs here. But my most invasive in the garden is Virginia Buttonweed. It started out in a small area and now its everywhere. Looks like a pretty ground cover with its shiny leaves and white flowers, low to the ground. It propagates via stem or root cuttings, stolons, and sets a huge amount of seeds. It got into my raised beds and I dismantled them last year. I want to use the chickens to kill it this year, they love it. Just have to get the fencing to be escape proof and let them loose...

Melody - I know the feeling. When we have something invasive that eats up our time in the garden we just want it gone now.

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Glechoma hederacea, Creeping Charlie; nut sedge (Last summer I bought a great big truckload of 'topsoil' and it was FILLED with nut sedge!!!) I'm just waiting for it to come up; I heard about some stuff called Sedgehammer, and I'm gonna try it.

I've heard of Sedgehammer on a radio gardening talk show. Hope it works for you.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Crabgrass!

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

And plenty of bittercress too, and a whole lot of other stuff.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Much as I like to feast on the himalayan blackberries (fresh, pies, jam), they are quickly overtaking large portions of our wild areas. Difficult to eradicate, although goats will eat them to the ground.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Bahia.

Dealing with crabgrass too. Don't even have regular grass in yard really. Just nasty, horrible crabgrass.

West Plains, MO(Zone 6b)

Believe it or not - MONARDA! It is beautiful when it is blooming, but before it looks like a weed and after it gets mildew. I have been trying to eradicate it, but it just will not go away. Trying roundup this year.

Barberton, OH

Only polite name I have is "Quack grass" Roots can go 2 or more feet underground and come up right in the middle of a daylily. Salt will kill every thing else in the asparagus bed, but not this.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Ugh...knotweed - the stuff is invincible.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Congon grass don't think I am spelling or saying it right

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

crabgrass and chickweed!!! Hate the wild onions! They are all over too and worst to get out. Johnson grass is hard to get out too.
deb

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Not sure what this weed is but I didn't have a problem with it until last year. It came to me with heavy rains washed down from other's yards. Again this year it is abundant like a massive ground cover. The picture is on a 2 x 4 deck railing to give prospective. It is easily pulled up but so much of it is daunting.
Other than that I guess the privets deposited by the birds are next.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

It looks like some form of Lamium. Deadnettle and hen bit have pink-purple flowers. I do not know of a blue flowered lamium, we do not seem to have it here. Luciee

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Bermudagrass (Cynodon dactylon).
A few others, including Bittercress, can be bad, but this is far more difficult for me to control.
Barb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.