Where can I find Shahtoot Mulberries?

Lostwithiel, United Kingdom

Hey, second post! I live in the U.K and have managed to find seeds online for Morus alba, nigra and rubra, but cannot seem to find any for the Persian/Pakistan/Himalayan mulberry - the picture I have found is a fruit up to 10cm long! So you can understand the attraction. However, it seems to go by those three common names, as well as Morus macroura, serrata, or alba var. laerica something or other.
Could anyone clear up this confusing mess?

There also seems to be a white-fruited version? I have found a couple of places in America and Australia which sells grafted varieties under some of these names, is this the only way they are available as I am not sure I am a) allowed to import them or b) be able to afford to import them!

Very frustrated

Ajali

Greensburg, PA

Ajali, You might want to check out the book by Lee Reich, hopefully available in the UK, called "Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden". He has a chapter on Morus that makes informative and interesting reading.

I have access to a white fruiting Morus alba in the area. It is a very large tree. They take a long time to grow from seed, so your best bet would be to find a source in the UK for them. I could see that they might be prohibited, because the tree is somewhat invasive here. The birds spread the seeds and they are tough to grub out. The fruit is very bland, even for a mulberry. Given the space needed for the tree, the pest factor of the visiting birds and the potentially invasiveness, this is one I would not choose to plant.

You might want to check out One Green World and Raintree Nurseries regarding some of the varieties of mulberry available in the US. Let me know if you are allowed to import mulberry seeds. I might be able to get you some from the white fruiting tree if it is legal later this spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.