2 Apple Trees- Zone 5a - Recommendations?

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Hello, Apple Experts!

I want to plant two apple trees but have zero knowledge about these. All I have is Master Gardener training in fruits, so I really don't know a whole lot. My aunt who lives where I'm from (Maryland) has a couple of those "telephone pole" apple trees and I thought those would be great until she told me that they produce very few apples each year. I LOVE Pink Lady apples (grocery store) but don't even know if they would grow here. If there's something I should look for in a variety but am too ignorant (lack of knowledge) to as, PLMK. I'll tell you what I'd like and if you all could make some recommendations, you'll be the 'apples' of my eye! I know, corny, but it works! :)

Best,
Susie :)

Apple 'Wishes'
-Not Too Tall
-Good Producer
-Apples I can eat and cook with
-Disease resistant

- How old should should the trees be?
-Where should I get the trees?
-When I look at the trees (if I don't order them), what should I be looking for?
-Should I plant them or have a nursery plant them?
-What is a good apple growing reference?

East Lansing, MI(Zone 5a)

The" Liberty " cultivar of Apple is quite disease resistant

Greensburg, PA

I would recommend that you read the online catalogs of Raintree Nursery and One Green World (google to find the link). They both sell a lot of types of apples and can give you an idea regarding varieties, their growth habits and hardiness.

Keep in mind that some apples need or will do better with a pollinator, so you should be planning on planting two compatible varieties as a minimum. Most apples should be hardy in your zone.

Having said that, I do not grow many apples, nor follow them much, so hopefully an expert in this will stop by.

Harwinton, CT

I've had apple trees through the years and I'm in zone 5, but in Connecticut. We're up high in the Berkshire foothills and it does get very cold in the winter and we can't set out any tender plants until about May 25. Anyway, I have never planted full sized trees as I feel they take too much room and care, ditto for the semi-dwarfs. I have now a half dozen dwarf trees which I really like because of the ease of care (spraying, pruning) and am putting in four more next month. I have planted Fuji, Golden Delicious and Granny Smiths because we love apple pies and find these varieties the best. As far as what varieties will do best where you are, the catalogs usually are the best for reference or you can contact the nurseries themselves and they can help you there as well as helping you decide whether you want an "out-of-hand eating apple, pie apple, baking, etc. I have always depended on the catalogs descriptions to pick my varieties. Miller nurseries is a good one. . .Google them for a catalog. Stark is also very good and they have a good selection of varieties to choose from. Apple trees do best on a south slope in full sun. We did have trouble with deer knowing just when they were ripe and came and feasted on them. Now, when I poop-scoop the yard after our three dogs, I just deposit "it" around the trees and that keeps the deer away. Coddling moths also do a number on the fruit but you can hang moth traps on your trees to catch them and you do have to follow a spraying schedule that is outlined on the spray bottle label. You can also get very good reference material from your local agricultural station office in the care of apple tree. Good luck!

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks for all of the help! I think Fujis would be good because you can eat them and bake with them. I'll have to hit a grower's site and see what I can find. :) I appreciate all of the recommendations! :)

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

check out Stark Apples, they are on line and have a great variety of trees, you probably be happy with a Dwarf tree, small conpact .
I have about 5 acres of apples and as the old trees die I am relpacing with new types, all Dwarf. Most of them I get from Stark.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.