Food Thread for 2011, Round Up

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

This thread is to post what kind of pot luck dish you will bringing to the Round up on April 9th.
Below is a link to the sign up thread, and I'll be asking for these threads to be made sticky's until after the RU. Remember it is important to sign up, or I won't be able to dmail the directions to you.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1150116/

Since I'm going to start this going, I volunteer to bring Corn bread and Honey (butter will be available too).

Speak up, and I'll make up a list. : - )

Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Chinese Chicken Salad. Probably will be bringing a lemon cake for dessert.
(Disregard my d-mail SW.)

Round Rock, TX(Zone 8b)

I've been on a sprout kick (growing our own) for a little while so I'll bring sandwich rolls with humus and sprouts. I grow broccoli, radish, onion, adzuki and buckwheat to name a few I'll bring.

Anyone have any food allergies?

And of course DeJong's chocolate milk. ^_^

Heather

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I do have allergies to all citrus, and coconut. But don't let that stop anyone, just let me know so I don't break out in hives again. : - )
Someone, probably the masseuse used some kind of citrus because I broke out in hives in an area she had been working on (my face and neck, in particular). Come to think of it, that was the day I got both a massage and a facial. My poor nose, and my back too! It's almost cleared up, and makeup hides a lot. Even if my skin resents wearing the makeup, because my pores like to breathe. Yes, I'm allergic to citrus even if it (the juice) only comes in contact with my skin.
They sure got tired of me sending back drinks with that slice of citrus on them, while on our travels. Sigh. All that tropical paradise and about the only fruits I could eat were watermelon, and honeydew. Good thing I like them. I did try some of the other tropical fruits, but either they started my mouth burning or they tasted awful.
Glad I'm back where I can eat real food, and while I was grateful to see and eat at McD's, I'm really sick of their food too. I don't think they have any real milk over there in Malaysia. So for once I'm hungry!
Love the idea of hummus, I've always liked it. Love the sprouts too, been eating them since I was a teen. : - )
BTW, what the heck is adzuki?
Thanks Heather, I'm sure your sandwich rolls will be delightfully tasty, I'm drooling already. : - )
And not over the chocolate milk! LOL! That get's it's own drooling! LOL! : - )
WIB~
SW

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Here's what we've got so far.

SingingWolf (Jules) Cornbread and honey butter
gr8cayte (Heather) Sandwich rolls, hummus and sprouts...and DeJongs chocolate milk
weegy12 (Louise) Chicken cabbage salad, lemon cake
Wendallyn (Wendy) paper plates, napkins, cups and plasticware case of water. Cookies!!
Samigal (Pegi) meatballs in BBQ sauce (yummy!)

This message was edited Mar 7, 2011 1:38 PM

This message was edited Mar 21, 2011 10:01 AM

Round Rock, TX(Zone 8b)

SW, adzuki [ah-ZOO-kee] is a type of bean used in sprouting. It's used in a lot of Asian cooking too. They are a larger sprout even bigger than mung bean sprouts. They have a nice nutty flavor to them. I'll label everything so you know what kind of sprout you're eating.

TTFN!

Heather

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I love Mung Beans, but haven't been able to find them close to home. Where are you finding them? BTW, I'm definitely interested in the adzuki bean. I like them raw and my ES loves to stir fry them. : - )
What does TTFN mean? I'm really slow on the uptake these days. LOL!
Thanks for the explanation about the adzuki beans. It's good to know. : - )
Weegy can't wait to try that Chicken cabbage salad. Sounds yummy! : - )
WIB~
SW

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

It's a pretty good salad SW.
TTFN = ta ta for now!

Round Rock, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Jules

I get most of my seed for sprouting from Living Whole foods (http://www.handypantry.com/) through Amazon. They are quick to ship and offer a huge selection of seed with pretty good prices. HTH

Heather

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks Heather! : - )
DH rearranged my garden when he put the fence in the wrong place. I have to start all over again to sweeten the soil. Rats!
Now I know where to get good seed! Thanks again Heather!
WIB~
SW

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I took this list of attendees from SW's RU thread. Please let us know what you can bring to share.
We'll need, paper goods and water if you'd rather not bring a dish. Just let us know, anything is appreciated.

SingingWolf - 4
weegy12 - 2
sherman99 - 1
dillansnana - 2
suewylan - 2
Samigal - 2
Rodicap - 1
Marie -1
gr8cayte - 6
Mombird - 1
WormsLuvSharon - 1
Wendallyn - 4
justpeaches - 1
SoCal - 2

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks for helping out with this thread Weegy. Whew, I am hoping I'm finally over the cold I caught (from my ES), when I home.
I still plan on bringing cornbread, butter, and some of good Honey. : - )
WIB~
SW

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Please feel better. Nothing worse than not feeling good.
Hugs to you and you are very welcome!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

: 0 )
WIB~
SW

LA/Orange County, CA(Zone 10a)

I would be happy to provide paper plates, napkins, cups and plasticware as well as a case of water. Since we'll have a long drive I'm not sure what food would make it. We will probably bring some cookies also. Looking forward to this!

- Wendy (aka Wendallyn)

PS- it'll be nice to meet my Huntington Beach and Norwalk neighbors! We just moved from Norwalk to HB area (Westminster, one street from HB) last summer.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

That would be wonderful Wendy. Thank you, got you down.

Round Rock, TX(Zone 8b)

Wendallyn--Girl Scout cookies?!?!?!? ^_^

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Girl Scout cookies would be good! They don't come to my door anymore.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

weegy,
Don't you know the Girl Scouts set up a table in front of the stores now? I guess it was too dangerous for the girls to go from door to door, especially these days. Besides most people aren't even home until 6:00 or 7:00 pm these days. Try any Stater Brothers or Target store. LOL! Thanks for taking care of this thread, I've been sick all week again. But I got my gh plants watered today, and finished posting my thread about the butterfly farm in Phuket, Thailand.
Silly me, I should have provided a link. You can find the threads I've been working on, on the Hummingbird/Butterfly forum.
I'm still hungry. LOL!
Wendy, that's great. Last year we all forgot about plastic silverware. I had to dig out the ones I hide from my kids. LOL! I am so tired of that chewed up silverware that the garbage disposal spits out. BTW, don't tell my kids, I hid my good silverware, right after I washed them last year, and they still don't know about them.
We do have a drinking fountain out by Gma Oak, and it's the driest tasting water I've ever drank.
You are welcome to try it for yourself when you get here. But be careful that drinking fountain has a tendency to shower people standing 10 feet in front of it, if not used carefully. : - )
Fun for water fights in the summer though! LOL! : - )
WIB~
SW

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

Just found the food thread. I will post later what we will bring, decisions are my downfall. So looking forward to seeing every one.

Pegi

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Me too, I sure hope there will be more than just the few coming that have responded.
Thanks Pegi.
SW, yes I know why the GS don't come to the door anymore...good thing, I can't say no!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I just had to "yank your chain" weegy! LOL! Me too about the cookies. I really hate the way they give the girls quota's and if they don't make their quota's the parents end up eating GS cookies for desert for the next year. I usually buy some from them when I go to the store. Especially if they can tell me why they are selling them and what the money will be used for. I make 'em work for it. LOL! : - )
They do make nice shortbread cookies. : - )
We're getting more folks every day, weegy. Don't worry, it's going to be fine, although I do wish some of our old friends here on DG could make it, we are still getting a lot of folks who've never been before and a nice mix of them that have. It's all good sweetie. :-)
Give my Fairy G,C. a big old hug from me. : - )
WIB!
SW

I will bring meatballs in barbeque sauce (just found the recipe a friend gave me in 1988) I may add something else later.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Gotcha my friend Pegi!

i do not know what to bring. how about beans and weiners (those little smokey kind ) ?

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Sherman, whatever you can bring is very much appreciated. That sounds good to me!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hey beanie-weanies taste great with cornbread, Shermie! : - )
WIB!
SW

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

SW We will bring some kind of wraps with beef or ham. (Not the over filled ones we brought to our 1st RU at Weegy's) These will be good ones.
Sylvia

La Quinta, CA(Zone 9b)

gr8cayte - 2 people in my family have food allergies, but neither one needs special adjustments made to anyone's recipies, fortunately.

My daughter is allergic to nitrates/nitrites but it's something she knows how to work around and I'll supplement her meal with - nitrate/nitrite - free meats and she can enjoy the sides and desserts everyone is bringing.

In fact, I can even ask her to make some cookies too, if you like - she has learned a number of recipies this year in her culinary academy. Yum! :~)

The other person is my Mom who is allergic to chocolate but, I'm sure someone else will help her out with drinking the chocolate milk I keep reading about - it must be awesome, I can't wait to try it!

Food we will bring - Mom and I will do fruit and veggie platters (minus any citrus) and I will ask Rachel to bake some cookies too if you would like.

See you soon.
Lara

This message was edited Mar 25, 2011 12:20 PM

Round Rock, TX(Zone 8b)

Good to know Lara, thanks! Oh, and maybe you shouldn't drink any chocolate milk. That is unless you are willing to make the two hour drive out this way to get your fix (think drug addiction). And I sure ain'ta gonna take any responsibility for addicting you! ^_^

Heather

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

LOL! Citrus is okay, I just can't eat it, but others will enjoy it I'm sure, IDBlond! : - )
Tell your Mom not to worry, there will be other drinks here besides the choc milk. : - )
LOL! You enabler, what are you going to do for good choc milk when you get to TX, I wonder?
I'm sure you'll find a good dairy out there too. : - )
WIB~
SW

Round Rock, TX(Zone 8b)

Well TX is a huge state. There's bound to be someone that has cows that produce chocolate milk. ^_^

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Them cows there is for BEEF!

Hope you find the cows that give chocolate milk, Heather.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Heather,
Don't ya know that chocolate cows are the ones that make the chocolate milk! LOL! : - )
Worked for my kids when they were little. LOL!!
I do have a warped sense of humor. : - }
They do have Dairies in TX. Lynda is right though, most of them cattle is for the beef.
WIB~
SW

Round Rock, TX(Zone 8b)

Yuck! Beef flavored milk QG? Nasty!!!

When we were in Las Cruces NM we would occasionally drive to El Paso. As you near El Paso on I-10 heading east there a ton of dairy farms. Those cows are black and white. They're bound to have a few that give chocolate milk! ^_^

Heather

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

LOL! Heather! Can't pull the wool over your eyes~SLOL!
: - )
WIB,
SW

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

No, beef to eat, not to make milk. LOL. That there is a long drive from Austin to El Paso. "bout the same as from here to El Paso. Only drove once to Dallas, that was enough.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

This message was edited Apr 6, 2011 4:07 PM

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

This message was edited Apr 3, 2011 9:03 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.