Plant/Seed Trade for the 2011 Round Up

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

If you are attending the 2011 Round Up at our place on April 9, please feel free to list any plants or seeds you will be sharing. : - )
Most people have plenty of transplants or seeds to share, but if you don't and you still want to share, it's okay to bring commercially pkg'd seeds, starts are fine too, even if you didn't get them rooted yet.
You don't need to bring anything, and you'll probably still go home with lots of neat stuff.
Even garden art. LOL!
Am posting a photo from the archives of some Indian Corn I was making available for the Piggy Swap on the Cottage Gardening forum. I kind of lost them this year. Rats!
I'll be listing my seed as soon as I get that organized. LOL!
Enjoy the trading! : - )
This is the link to the RU sign up page.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1150116/
Walk In Beauty,
SingingWolf

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

here is what i plan on bringing if the weather does not defeat me:
seedlings:
several kinds of basils
several kinds of salvia
empress tree
coneflowers-mostly purple
peppermint
oregano
several different color daturas

more to come as i get them going.

This message was edited Mar 6, 2011 2:52 PM

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Black berries or green berries? I'm interested in the kind with black berries. Also how do you start them from cuttings. We've got to talk Shermie!
WIB~
SW

black berries. they are so easy to start, just cut a branch off and stick it in water, when it roots stick in the ground. my kind of plant !! plus the birds and bees love it.

Round Rock, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's some of what I have so far.

Ajuga (Bugleweed)
Lamb's Ear
Lemon Scented Geranium
Chocolate Mint
Snow in Summer
Purple Fountain grass
Green Fountain Grass
Donkey Tail
String of Pearls
Ghost Plant
Sequoia Strawberries (probably 20 plants, rooted)
Ponytail Palm (six of these about the size of a golf ball now, rooted)
***Rose of Sharon*** too

Let me know what you want! ^_^

Heather

This message was edited Feb 27, 2011 11:05 PM

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Shermie, I don't have that kind of elderberry, may I have a start? I'll try rooting some of the kind I have, using your method. : - )
WIB~
SW

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

We cross posted Cayte, but can I have dibs on a couple of them Sequoia strawberries, and Snow in Summer? I'm afraid to ask for any more chocolate mint, since I think I killed the last one.
I'll have to go out and take an inventory when it warms up a little. Will try to wade through all the junk the boys hid in the pantry to where I store my seeds so I can tell ya what kind of Seed I have.
More soon!
WIB,
SW

Round Rock, TX(Zone 8b)

SW, gotcha down for strabeebees, snow in summer and chocolate mint ( I'll bring you two bundles so when you kill the second bunch you can say 'third times a charm' and the third bunch will do fine). ^_^

Heather

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

LOL! Thanks Heather! SLOL! : - )
3rd time is usually the charm. LOL!
Guiltfree yet, absolution in advance. : - )
Thanks Heather I really needed the laugh.
WIB~
SW

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

I have heard to be careful where you plant Elderberry trees - not near septic or sewer/water lines.

Heather - I would also like to try for a second chance at the cholocate mint, if you please and some snow in summer. Fountain grass would be great too, in either colors. I have some that needs to be trimmed, but it looks more dead this year from the frost - hope not.

How is your move coming? Mis Dallas sister was incredulous that you wanted to move so much of your garden. But then again they do not do much in the 'gardening' department. She had also never heard of the Citrus Police that come and burn citrus brought in from out of state (from comment on TX Forum).

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

You mean everyone doesn't know about the citrus police, there in TX? Just don't get caught. I'll ask my sis for tips. She gave me some of her plants before she moved to Austin, and people couldn't believe how many she brought. I never realized until she moved how many she had in containers. : - )
She's the one that taught me the best way to move a plant is to get someone else to do it, and if you have to do it yourself, use the dolly (handtruck). LOL!
Cayte, it's gonna be a grand adventure. : - )
~WIB~
SW

Round Rock, TX(Zone 8b)

Quiltygirl my DH thinks I'm crazy too. But I've found homes for many of my plants here. A friend of mine down the street has a yard full of weeds so I told her DH to get busy weeding and I'd give 'em a ton of plants. I had five Meyers lemons in pots and four orange trees (also in pots) that she is going to plant permanently.

I'm taking most of my cacti and succulents and cuttings of everything else.

I'll bring about a wheelbarrow full of Snow in Summer and chocolate mint and ornamental grasses.

Speaking of plants seeking new homes. I have a pink rose standard in a five gallon bucket (been looking for just the right pot) to rehome. It's just starting to leaf out (again cuz frost bit it a while ago) and stands about 5.5' high. Anyone?

I also have several bunchs of campanula (sorry for not knowing the exact kind but it's the low growing, spreading kind) and speedwell (veronica). Also African daises in white and purple.

If anyone wants anything from this post or my other one, LMK!

Heather

San Diego, CA

Hello Singing Wolf !

I am Jeff...... been gone from DG for geez a couple? 5 years now....hard to beleive. Anyway, I went to one of the first round ups here in san diego, and loved it.... Just came back and saw your post .....

gotta run right now, but will post some photos from the round up I was talking about, and get some info for yours......

happy gardening

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Welcome Jeff,
It's so very nice to hear from you. Don't know why the long absence from DG, but I'm a newbie, and I only joined in 2008. Actually, I'm only a newbie to you. LOL!
In reality I'm a legacy. My Dad, (dg name, trois), was a long time member and you may have run into him at some point, he died in 2008. He had been after me to join DG, and when he died, it was really important to me to let his friends know he was gone. So I had my nephew make the initial post, and when I joined, I made sure to write everyone that had posted on his Memory thread.
I met a lot of really nice people and learned that Dad left his legacy to us here at DG. : - )
We'd love to have you attend the RU. Sign up on the RU page and we'll be sure you have the info you need. : - )
Heather, if no one else claims that pink rose, I'll be happy to give it a new sunny home. I seem to be crazy about pink and blue of late.
Now, if any of the rest of you want that rose, speak up!
I still haven't listed my seeds but as soon as I can reach them, I will post them. (The boys cleaned the house by stuffing a bunch of stuff into my pantry, and they need to clear the stuff out so I can reach the seeds.)
Does anyone know how to start or dig up rooted lilacs? I have a couple that could probably use a bit of thinning. : - )
Still have scads of succulents. I might even be able to dig up a couple of agave plants (I think) from Mom's place. Her's had a litter of pups last year.
More as soon as I can get out there and figure out what is still alive, and what died during the frosts.
WIB~
SW

Round Rock, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, Jules I remember trois posting on here (although for the life of me I can't remember where I saw his posts). ^_^ I'm glad to know he is your dad! And I'm equally sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my dad in '08 too. (in fact I lost my mom and my favorite dog in '08 too).

So what does trois (3) mean? I thought maybe Troy. Or three what? Children? G-children?

The rose standard is yours my friend.

And I would love, love, love to hear your sister's tips for moving with plants! I might have to rent a u-haul for just plants alone! ^_^

Picture is, I think, a mandarin orange. Anyone want it?

Heather

Thumbnail by gr8cayte
No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Yes, Heather, that would be nice. I am thinking I should just drive the truck to your house and see what you are culling from your yard, looks like some interesting supports, etc, too. Oh dear, don't want to sound like a piranha.....

when someone i know moves, my first thought is always what plants aren't you going to take and may i have them. then i realize maybe that was not the most tactful thing to say if i blurt it out.

there is a former nursery on the corner of garboni and murrieta rd that has been abandoned. the poor trees in boxes and lots of plants are just dying. the gates hang open and there is no one around. i have been so tempted to cruise inside the gates and see what could be saved. it is at least 5 acres. so sad.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Go for it!

Round Rock, TX(Zone 8b)

QG the orange is yours then. The supports are moving to TX with me but I'll tell you how to get some. I surf Craig's List every day. Both the free and farm and garden sections. Those supports were all free. They used to be one of those shade/pergola things but the top died in the sun. Most people would rather toss the legs than buy a new top. So I snag them for supports for my grapes or just to fence in a grow box like with those in the pic.

But I do have several plants to give away. Slowly I'm taking pictures of them. This tree is some kind of pine. It's been in the original growers pot for four or five years. It's not very big as a result. I bought it from a guy in Temecula that has a small nursery in his back yard. He mostly grows natives. Anyone want it?

Thumbnail by gr8cayte
No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

So, Heather, are you renting? I was thinking someone that would buy a house would consider the plants theirs....

When we leave here and if it is close enough, I plan to dig up a lot of stuff. DH thinks its nuts. No, dear, not the 20 ft trees....

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the rose Cayte. Whenever it blooms, it'll always remind me of you. : - )
Shermie, I'm ready to help you raid the nursery, just let me know when. : - )
QG, are you sure you don't want to help out with the raid? I think I'll stop and see if there is anyone still there and ask if they still want any of that stuff. : - )
Cayte, I'll ask my sis how she moved all her plants, but I know she had to rent a big old truck for her household goods, and the kids and critters rode in the cars with them, but she is endlessly creative. : - )
If you haven't been checking the RU thread, Cayte, is bringing all kinds of goodies. I'm thinking she needs to make more than one trip. LOL!
If no one else claims the plants, (I did have a few from last year), I find them homes or do some stealth planting. :-)
Here's what I've found so far, and believe me when I say, I haven't had much of a chance to go looking yet.
I was looking through my garden today, and discovered I still have a bunch of pregnant onions, the ornamental not edible kind. Also can take starts from my B.fly plant. Grows well both as in indoor plant and has decided to become a ground cover out in the gh. I'll be digging it out in the next few days so if you want some that has already rooted let me know and I'll put it a pot for you. : - )
I have a bunch of edible Hibiscus seeds, and some Pride of Barbados seeds. If anyone is brave enough to try growing a tree from seed, I have some English Walnuts too. This is only a partial list as I still can't get into the pantry.
I guess I'll have to go clean it out myself so I can list all the seeds I have. Then again, if I run out of time, I'll put the extra's out on a table in a basket and anyone who wants them is welcome to them. : - )
Same with the various succulents. Just take some cuttings while you are here. : p
I did ask if I could get some of them Agave pups from my Mom, and she said sure.
I do have two strings of pearls plants I managed to get started, and will be starting some more soon. : - )
And one striped plant that is some kind of succulent. I forgot it's name. Darn it!
That's it just off the top of my brain. But you know me, I'm always finding something I didn't even know I had. : - )

Sherman likes natives, and is trying to plant her yard with them. She might be interested in that pine tree. I'd need to see it closer to see what kind it is, but it looks like a Monterey Pine tree. Easy to care for, and when planted in the ground can grow 20 or 30 feet tall. They do have needle die off in the middle of the trees, but that gives the birds someplace to make their nests. Mine are all wearing their pollination sacks, and my allergies are killing me.
Can see a couple of the pollen sacks in the photo above. Also the Mont. Pine has long needles as pictured. DH isn't as sure because the new growth is kind of blue green in color to him. I bet when he sees it in person, he'll say it's a Mont. Pine.

Got to go for now.
WIB!
SW

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Yes, SW, Shermie, I am in on the RAID.

Let's see, what will I have to bring. Ditto on the "And one striped plant that is some kind of succulent." Need to separate the clumps. The only other prolific stuff I have are what I brought from SW - Jade and Pregnant Onion. I can share all the dead stuff I have after frosts and horses this year.........

my daughter and i drove through the deserted nursery yesterday. there is no sign of anyone there. looks like it is being used a dump by tree trimmers in one part. it is probably five acreas at least maybe 10 the pots and trees are all toward the back. i am trying to get a line on who owns it, probably a bank. a lot of things in pots there are still green, but that wont last as it warms up. such a shame. a lot of trees in those big wooden boxes that we could not even move (and would not fit in her honda anyway) thousands of dollars in trees/plants just left to die. i hope everyone goes there and saves some of them.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

So, we need a crane for our midnight marauding? Forklift?

or guys with muscles

or, i guess, women with muscles

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Grandson has use of a work truck with a lift....

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Cayte,
I forgot to answer your question about Dad's name Trois. It was his real first name. No one knows why he was named Trois, and since Gma never would answer why she named him Trois we don't know. Trois means 3 in French.
I suspect it has to do with that old saying 3 times is a charm. I think Gma Renee' (rhymes with Queenie), had a couple of miscarriages before she was able to carry Dad to term. (Oh and Trois rhymes with Lois.)
I believe she had some French lessons at the school she went to, but can't prove it. But it wasn't uncommon for the time when she grew up, for the Romance language to be taught. Although, I kind of find it hard to believe that somebody made it out to Indian Country just to teach French. Then again G.ma Renee' walked from the town where she was born (in New Mexico, and no longer exists), to OK behind the covered wagon. She got motion sickness pretty bad.
I didn't have the chance to get know her well, but Dad said she always liked living in town much better than out on the farm.
She'd been through the Dust bowl on the farm, and through the depression too. It can be a mighty lonely life.

RE: Nursery Raid, DH has trucks with forklifts, should I send him to enquire? He wants to know what kind of trees they are? He said that the gate was closed, and he looked when he just now drove by.
Then again he also said that he didn't see any live plants.

Got to go.
WIB~
SW

the only green ones are way back in. the gates have been open every time i went by, weird. you can drive down garbani all along the edge of the fence and see what is there without going in if you want. it goes back quite a ways.

La Quinta, CA(Zone 9b)

I have elephant's food I can take cuttings from, I'd like some advice on transporting them to the round up as it's my first one. Is it best to pot each?

Heather, if it's not an imposition, could you bring a cutting of the butterfly bush - it's something I have always wanted to try. I checked it should grow here. Thank you.

Round Rock, TX(Zone 8b)

ldblond I can bring you a bunch of butterfly bush cuttings. Two different colors, pinkish (actually I'll give you the whole potted plant cuz I never got around to planting it) and dark purple. Cya soon!

Heather

La Quinta, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh my goodness! Thank you

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

Why is it that I just found the plant thread? I don't have any plants but will bring my sweet pea seeds for all that want them.

I would love a string of hearts plant, always on the look out for string of hearts/rosary plant too. I have some chocolate mint, but it isn't doing all that well. I either over water or under water it. Holding it's own right now.

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

OOps, I meant string of pearls. Should have read my post before I sent it.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Sami,
I knew what you meant and one of the two available is yours. : - )
Um, can I take a couple of cuttings from that b.fly bush? I'll let you have cuttings from the one I have. I've managed to kill two so far, although to be fair, I really think it was the gophers, so they'll be living in pots from now on. Kind of figure you can never have too many b.fly bushes. Although Lantana is good too, they love the lantana!
Well, since I've been in bed all week, I've been going through and separating seeds from their pods and putting the ones I have to give away in their own basket.
Here's what I got when it comes to seeds.

Pride of Barbados - Loves our climate, and is a great b.fly attractant.
Elderberry Seed Local Green Variety - Can also take cuttings.
Sea Lavender- not sure the seeds are viable, never tried to plant before.
Strawberry Bush seed pods
4 O'clock seeds - mixed colors
Wisteria seeds - not sure which shade of purple you'll get.
Ornamental Poppy Seeds - Mixed colors
English walnut seeds - for the brave at heart! LOL!
Edible Hibiscus
White Hibiscus dwarfs, gift last year from wcgypsy
Creme Hibiscus dwarfs, gift last year from wcgypsy
Pink Hibiscus dwarfs, gift last year from wcgypsy

Seeds given to me by others that really need homes!
Cypress vine, Ipomoea Quamoclit - rec'd in seed trade in 2009
Anise Hyssop, Agastache Foeniculum - harvested in 2008
'Merlot' Echinacea purpurea - rec'd in seed trade in 2009
Kniphofia uvaria - rec'd in seed trade in 2009
Jimsonweed - Datura wrightii - rec'd in trade in 2009 & DH says we have too much already.
Digitalis purpurea - rec'd in seed trade in 2009
Begonia evansii (oreransii) - rec'd in seed trade in 2009
Hosta elegaas - rec'd in seed trade in 2009
Pink phlox, Phlox drummondii- annual - rec'd in seed trade in 2009
Phlox Drummondi - Mixed colors - rec'd in seed trade in 2009

Mystery Seeds!
I have a bag of unlabled seeds, may be lantana.
I have some white and pink seeds that I believe are Crepe Myrtle not lilac like the bag says.

I still have to get out and see what I've got by way of plants but I'll either list 'em or surprise you with 'em when you get here. : - )
Jade plants you are welcome to take cuttings from. I'm hoping Shermie will demonstrate the right way to take cuttings, because I am confused about it. It's not hard with geraniums, jade, or those Poplars, but I've never had much success with cuttings from other plants. : - (
Hope some of you can give some of the seeds a new start. I just was overwhelmed at how many I received from
seed swap. Some I've tried, but they won't live here.
That it for now.
WIB!
SW

edited because I forgot to list the hibbies! : 0 O

This message was edited Mar 26, 2011 2:04 PM

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

I'll take some seeds although I have not done too much by way of seeds, other than veggies last year that I started in the house. I have never taken cuttings, successfully, with geraniums. Unusual for me, I have no geraniums to speak of, but a couple stubs truing to come back, thanks to grazing horses. I fear my lantana kicked the cold bucket this winter. I do not see anything green at the base. This weeks weather, a trimming and compost will test it. Thank goodness horses don't eat some of the stronger drought resistant plants like the salvias, rosemary, lavender, artemesia, margaritas and shasta daisy. Drier, warmer weather means they can go back to their corrals today or tomorrow, Alleluia!!! I have some veggie plants I want to put out that have had to hang out in the garage till the thugs are gone.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I'll be looking for some lantana seeds for you, Lynda. You never know, when I get into the gh, I may find actual starts for you! You never know what's going to or has volunteered to come up on it's own out there.
You may like some of those edible hibbies. Their seed pods are full of nasty burrs. I've kept mine in pots, and they've overwintered in the gh, but they reseed pretty easily.
Like I said, I'll bag 'em up, and put them in a basket for folks to help themselves to. : - )
Too tired right now to figure out how many days til the RU, but sure am looking forward to it! : - )
WIB~
SW

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Well, one of the article in today's DG Monday Newsletter was from palmbob about semi-invasives - tow of which I planned to bring next week. I call mine Mother of Millions, he uses Mother of Thousands, like SW does. Min has been fuller, probably from re-seeding in the same pot. It could be easy to kill, as I have found mine 'melts' when weather is too cold (as does the fire stick succulent). I wintered those inside and thought it OK to go ahead and put them back out about 1.5 weeks ago, then we got down to at least 36 one day last week. She does not look too happy, but she will get over it in the warmth this week. The other one I planned on separting is that Pregnant Onion that was overflowing the pot from SW. Another prolific mom. I could maybe separate some Rose Campion that SoCal gave me a start of last year and appears very happy - even after the horses chomped down on it.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Well, one of the article in today's DG Monday Newsletter was from palmbob about semi-invasives - tow of which I planned to bring next week. I call mine Mother of Millions, he uses Mother of Thousands, like SW does. Min has been fuller, probably from re-seeding in the same pot. It could be easy to kill, as I have found mine 'melts' when weather is too cold (as does the fire stick succulent). I wintered those inside and thought it OK to go ahead and put them back out about 1.5 weeks ago, then we got down to at least 36 one day last week. She does not look too happy, but she will get over it in the warmth this week. The other one I planned on separting is that Pregnant Onion that was overflowing the pot from SW. Another prolific mom. I could maybe separate some Rose Campion that SoCal gave me a start of last year and appears very happy - even after the horses chomped down on it.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3144/

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Mine must have been more sheltered than yours. I've been told the correct name for them is Mother of Hundreds. I like them. They are just weird enough to be cool, plus when they bloom the hummers come a calling. : - )
Is the fire stick succulent the one with the latex like sap? If it is, mine survived in the gh over the winter.
Can't kill them pregnant onions. But they are fun plants too. Just pull off the babies and cut the bloom if you don't want more.
I'll go read the article. Wish Palmbob would come to the RU!
WIB,
SW

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.