How do you like your Rosemary?

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

That's my only herb I can see and touch right now, my potted Rosemary. She's in desperate need of trimming but I still try to figure out what to do with clippings... Any ideas or favorite uses for her fragrant leaves? I bet an aromatic bath would be awesome but seems to be rather complicated. I know it's good with meat but never tried it. How about tea? Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Thumbnail by carpathiangirl
Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I don't do much with my Rosemary either, other than enjoy the pretty blue flowers when it blooms.

I use it on pork chops sometimes :)

Middleburgh, NY

Cut potatoes into wedges and drizzle with olive oil. Add rosemary, salt, pepper. Roast at 350 for about 45 minutes. Delicious!

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Ummmmm, sounds yammy, I'm definitely trying it this weekend, thanks Herbalbetty!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Rosemary is a bit tricky to cook with. It is good with chicken also. But you have to either chop it very fine or you could keep it on the stems and put them in the cavity of a chicken or the bottom of a pot as for stew. The roasted potatoes are great. You can also make a blend of veggies such as onion, zucchini, mushrooms and whatever else you like and use rosemary to season. I mix it with other herbs like oregano, thyme, basil, etc. for a blend. Using it for a bath sounds nice--could combine with mint and put in a net bag or cheesecloth and run hot water over it? Might need to boil it and add to bath. I think I'll try that!

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Tried the potatoes and my family loved it! Mixed veggies sound good too and I just thought about beans, might be interesting. Now I wonder is Rosemary good for storing? They sell the dried leaves but maybe freezing keeps the flavor better?

Middleburgh, NY

Glad you like the rosemary taters. We love them too. For chicken, we stuff a whole chicken with an onion, roughly chopped, a sliced lemon and a lot of rosemary. MMMMM....it is so good! Dried rosemary works wonderfully well. Strip the leaves from the stem to dry and leave them whole until you want to use them. Then, crush in your head to release that heady perfume.

Middleburgh, NY

LOL, crush in your hand!!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I dry most of my herbs not only for use in the kitchen, but for household and medicinal uses as well. we make tinctures, salves and infusions for medicinal use and teas. Grind dried herbs in coffee grinder and add 2 TBS to one cup of baking soda, miz and use as a carpet sprinkle. place dried crushed herbs in tied cheese cloth or muslin tea bags to use as bath tea - can also be used as drawer sachet.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I love those ideas. I use white vinegar in a spray bottle and add a sprig of rosemary. The vinegar odor is not as acrid when I mist the shower or use it on the kitchen appliances.

I've also taken a sprig and taped it to the bar that holds the roll of TP. When the toilet tissue is used, the rosemary gets bruised and you catch delicate scents of it. I've also done this with a Qtip dipped in a favorite essential oil flavor.

Seems I read somewhere to use lavender, chamomile and others in a powder blend to sprinkle under the sheet for a fresh and restful scent. Need to find that so I can experiment.

I will try the carpet mix. Thanks!

And those taters sound yummy!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

you can fill a small jar with cheap vodka and several drops of your fav essential oil and use as a linen spray. I also use a damp wash cloth with a couple drops of EO and wipe down counters in bathroom and kitchen...the scent lasts for days. also, a few Drops of EO on a damp washcloth and tossed in the dryer with wet clothes adds a nice scent to your laundry too!and a gallon of hot water, 1 cup of vinegar and 20 drops of EO makes a good floor wash...LOL

yeah yeah, I know... too much info. LOL

(Ang) Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

I make a yellow split pea and red lentil soup with rosemary. I also tried a recipe online for roasted baby red potatoes that called for some.

Yellow split peas.. hmmm I've only seen green but love them.

Never too much info on the fragrances and herbs Cue_chik. I've been hanging clothes out to dry but wanted to add a fragrance beyond "line dried". I've tried essential oil in the wash but when I add vinegar to the rinse... there goes the fragrance. Oh well.

I'd better quit hijacking this rosemary thread...

podster, I've only found them in the bulk foods section of the grocery store. I've never seen them or the red lentils in bags, unfortunately.

I love green ones too but my son won't eat "green" things lol unless it's salad or fruit.

I would guess the others taste the same once they are seasoned alike?

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

ohhh, thats sounds yummy! I may need to borrow that recipe!

Yeah, yellow and green taste the same to me. It's more for color purposes lol.

Which recipe cue_chik?
The potato recipe (read the review by busymommy too.)
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roasted-New-Potatoes/Detail.aspx?prop31=2

Then the soup recipe is actually two recipes combined.
The first - http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Split-Pea-Soup-with-Rosemary/Detail.aspx
The second - I'll have to find the cookbook. It's a soup in a jar style recipe. I combined the two so I could store them in the pantry. You can use fresh or dried rosemary, but I'd recommend not adding fresh if you're storing the soup mix.

I like the soup in a jar idea. That one sounds interesting if you can find it?

My changes are varied. When I make the "mixes" I usually use all the spices in both recipes except for the celery flakes and dried minced onion. I also exclude the macaroni because for some reason it doesn't make sense to me lol. I also use the allrecipe recipe as a guide for how much lentils, peas and barley to use. (1/2 cup each or 1 cup each to double it) and make about 4-6 quart jars.
When I cook it I use all the vegetables called for plus more, ham, homemade stock and hamhocks. I exclude the chicken because I never have it in the freezer.

Springtime Pea Soup Mix (Gooseberry Patch, Seasons for Sharing)

16oz pkg split green peas
16oz pkg dried lentils
16oz pkg pearl barley
2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
1 cup dried, minced onion
1/2 cup celery flakes
1/2 cup dried parsley
2 teaspoons white pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme

Combine all ingredients together; spoon into a jar with a tight fitting lid. Attach instructions. Makes 10 cups.

Cooking instructions: Combine one cup soup mix with 4 cups seasoned chicken broth; add one cup cooked chicken, if desired. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until peas are tender, about 45 to 60 minutes. Serves 4.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Thank you Tikipod. for sharing your recipes. they both sound wonderful. can't wait to try them out!

Middleburgh, NY

Pod! Love your TP tip! Lavender would be wonderful as well.

It's not my idea but it was a good one and worth sharing... but Lavender wouldn't work here. Too warm to grow it but it sounds even better in the bathroom than the rosemary. lol

Thanks for the pea soup recipies, Tikipod. I love a good split pea soup with chunks of carrots, ham and potatoes in it but had never thought of using barley. We love barley also, can't wait to try it!

I'll have to try some of the other ideas myself once I buy my rosemary bush. I was using my neighbors up until I saw a temporary landscaper put stuff underneath. I don't know what it was but they sprinkled very toxic stuff into my strawberry pot last Spring.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Back to the pea soup - a little trick I like is to add a handful of frozen peas at the last minute. Brightens up the color and adds a bit of crunch.

Callands, VA(Zone 7a)

First post! I LOVE rosemary! Save your trimmings and dry them. Store in an airtight container, away from heat and light and they will keep a long time.

Uses: for pork loin roast, puree fresh rosemary leaves, garlic, olive oil, and kosher salt to a loose paste. Rub on roast, place in ziploc bag and marinate in fridge for 1-3 hours. Put roast on a rack and roast @450F for 10 min. Reduce heat to 250F and cook until meat thermometer reads 145F( about 20-30 minutes/lb). Remove from oven and tent with foil to rest for 15 minutes before slicing.

For Chicken: Take a whole chicken and stuff the body cavity with 2-3 sprigs rosemary, 1 lemon (quartered), and 1/2 an onion (in wedges). Rub the skin all over with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast @ 350F until golden brown and juices from the thigh joint run clear.

For the Bath: Put dried rosemary sprigs in a bowl. Cover with boiling H2O and allow to stand for 20 minutes. Pour this water into your tub.

AngelDance

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Wow, I did enjoy my plant but had no idea what a treasure she was! so many great ideas, thanks a ton. I kept clipping and added them to mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs and stews and it was nice to try something different and flavorful. Soup is on my next to-do list and I really owe myself that bath lol

Oh another thing you can do is collect branches with buds on it that are about to bloom and put them in a vase of water. I do that every spring and they bloom their heads of. Prettiest and safest bouquet I can have in this house.

Also ... I'm going to make split pea soup today simply for the fact that I'm now craving it lol.

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Hmmm, mine is 3-4 y.o. but never bloomed for me. Is it because she's in the pot or lack of fertilizer? What color the flowers are?

Most rosemary flowers are blue but there is a pink and possibly a white flowering one too. I've read some bloom a lot and some don't bloom much at all but pretty much all bloom when they want.

My neighbor's is planted into the ground and is about 4 feet tall (possibly taller.) It's been there for ages and it's in really crappy soil. I'm not sure if she fertilizes it or not though. She had two bushes but they removed one. This is a very mature bush that rarely, if ever, get harvested from. I take cuttings every so often to try and root but so far no luck :(

Columbus, OH

I love rosemary sooo much! I make lemon-rosemary marinade for poultry or lamb (I use orange for pork), mix the juice of one lemon, sea salt, freshly ground pepper, chopped rosemary, and a couple tablespoons of olive oil. I have never actually eaten it, but all the carnivores in my house enjoy it.

I save the stalks and use them as skewers for lamb or beef kebabs. Or I throw them on the coals for a smokey flavor. And you all beat me to the rosemary roasted potatoes :) I also have a recipe for rosemary and blue cheese new potato salad that is very popular with everyone. The meat-eaters might sprinkle it with a little bacon, too.

Oh please share the salad recipe Celene!! We love blue cheese here!! BTW have you seen that Rosemary cultivar 'Barbeque'? I'm noticing it in a couple stores lately and was told it's been quite popular. It's good for using as a skewer.

Also, has anyone here seen Foxtail Rosemary?

Columbus, OH

I've only ever seen foxtail rosemary in the Richter's catalog.

I got the potato salad recipe from a cookbook sold to benefit a hunger charity in Akron, Ohio. Hate strong cheese or nuts? Just leave 'em out.

Rosemary New Potato Salad With Roquefort

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 lbs. new potatoes
1/4 lb. red onions -- minced
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbl. white wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. fresh rosemary -- crumbled and
chopped
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup roquefort or feta cheese
1/4 lb. toasted and largely chopped walnut pieces

Rinse the new potatoes well and place in cold salted water. Bring to boil and boil til tender about 15 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl and toss with 1/4 cup white wine vinegar and rosemary.

Combine the 1 tablespoon vinegar, Dijon and salt and pepper. Whisk or using blender, pour oil in a thin stream to emulsify.

Mix everything together and toss well and serve.

Note: I use more cheese and vinegar than the original recipe calls for.

Do you want my rosemary dinner rolls as well? My family likes them so much I make an 8x recipe every Thanksgiving and Christmas. They apparently make good mini-buns for turkey or roast beef sandwiches.

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the recipes Celene, I'd loved to meet you in Akron. The potatoes for salad are supposed to be whole and small I guess? didn't see the new potatoes often here, maybe should try farmer's market. Now can't wait to hear about the dinner rolls, pleeeeeeeeze?

Columbus, OH

I halve or quarter the new potatoes, I think they absorb more dressing if they're cut.

I used to do a soap/candle show near Akron every year--Quail Hollow. For the last three years, there's a show in Columbus with equal attendance, so I can't justify the gas. Maybe we could find some rationalization for a day trip, we love that :)

I use way more rosemary in this--more like 1 generous teaspoon, more like a tablespoon if it's fresh. I was skeevy about this recipe because of the cottage cheese, but I promise, it dissolves into the dough and is utterly invisible. If you like another herb more-garlic chives, dill, parsley, marjoram, whatever, feel free to substitute. I make these with whole wheat bread flour and they're just as good.

Rosemary Satin Dinner Rolls

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour -- (2 1/2 to 3)
1 package active dry yeast
2/3 cup cream style cottage cheese
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup butter (no substitutes!)
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary -- crushed
1 egg
1 slightly beaten egg yolk
1 tablespoon water

Stir together 3/4 cup of the flour and the yeast in a large mixing bowl; set aside. Combine cottage cheese, water, butter, onion, salt, and crushed rosemary in a small saucepan. Heat and stir until warm (120 to 130 degrees F) and butter is almost melted.

Add cottage cheese mixture to flour mixture. Add the whole egg. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can with a wooden spoon.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 - 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the surface. Cover and let rise in a warm place about one hour or until about double.

Punch dough down. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide dough into 12 balls. Place each in a greased muffin cup or shape into desired dinner roll shapes. Stir together the egg yolk and water, brush onto dough.

Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double (about 30 minutes). Bake in a 400 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden.

Makes 12 rolls

This message was edited Apr 16, 2011 8:55 PM

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Man, these recipes sound delish! I might try the rosemary rolls for Easter. Thanks for sharing! Janet

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Celene, have you doubled your roll recipe? If so, did you use same amount of yeast or also double that? Any other changes? I'm planning to use this for Easter and will have 12-15 folks here so will need more than a dozen rolls. I also thought I'd do them up parker-house style so I have more but smaller rolls. They sound delicious, I'm guessing both the c.cheese and onion keep them moist.

Hamilton, ON(Zone 5b)

I use rosemary for lots of things - it's great on pork, in pastas (chopped finely), in a basic balsamic/olive oil salad dressing, and lots more.

Since I have cold winters, in the fall I cut down my rosemary, and freeze it. Fresh stuff all winter long without worrying about my cat attacking the plant indoors... it's great.

Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

This is a great thread, I love rosemary too. :) I use it fresh and dried in many foods. I dry my rosemary in the fall and use my sealer for some of it so it keeps longer through the winter.

One of my favorite ways to use it is for garlic mashed potatoes. I place the garlic bulb (tips of cloves sliced off) in the prepared (soaked in water) roaster, crush some dry rosemary in my hand (I also throw in some whole leaves) and sprinkle it and other herbs/seasonings I like on top of the garlic, and then I drizzle 2 T of olive oil on top of that. Once the garlic is done roasting, the oil, seasonings, and garlic (minus the skin of course) go directly into hot cooked potatoes and I mash it all together, adding milk as needed. YUM!

Columbus, OH

bonehead, I just double (or triple, or whatever) the whole batch.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.