Dove Tree davidia involucrata: Soil Needs

Upper Lake, CA(Zone 9a)

I want to plant a Dove Tree but have not seen it offered. According to Western Gardener 2007, it's zones are 4-9, & 14-21. I am in designated zone 8 in California (a microclimate). I can only assume that this tree is particular about its growing conditions since I have not been able to locate a nearby supplier.

My conditions are high summer temps, winter lows into the upper 20's but no protective snow cover. Clay soil. Am I doomed?

Does anyone know more about this tree? What soil/nutrient/pH requirements are there?

digging dogg nursery sells them, but says they are only hard to zone 6. it also says they like loam and need protection from the wind.

Upper Lake, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you. I just found out that they don't like direct sun in very hot weather. I am thinking this will not do well here.

it is a lovely tree and i also would like to have some, but everything i have read says ok to zone 7 sometimes zone 8. quite sure summers here would be more than it could bear. sigh........

Upper Lake, CA(Zone 9a)

sherman99 - I'm sighing right along with you! I think it might be better to dream about this one and find something that will love the conditions I have here. It's depressing to watch a plant struggle when you know it's really a losing battle.

I just need to get "informed" about smaller trees now. I want everything - fragrance, able to take hot sun, provide some shade for me, have nice leaf & color...survive.... lol.

justjpeaches-sounds like you and i want the same thing. i love corkscrew vines, thought i was doing so great with them, and lost them all in the freeze, same with crepe myrtles. now i check temps besides zones. learning the hard way i guess.
the dove tree is just so beautiful it is hard to accept it wont do well here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.