Thought For The Day #12

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

About time to get a new one going. Jules would do if she were here, huh?

Get your thoughts out here!

(Zone 7a)

Gardening requires lots of water, most of it in the form of perspiration.
Lou Erickson

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks for starting the new thread QG, wasn't able to go online for a few days.
Good one kwanjin. : - )

"Life sure is a lot easier when you have chocolate to eat."
Me and probably Roadrunner too!

~Hugs~
WIB~
Jules

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Me too. Chocolate cures all ails - or at least does a good job trying.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

We had no power for the most part of the evening. It has been snowing all day!

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden
No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

That weather is heading this way. Heard about all of North and Central CA's snow. Earlier this week they were predicting snow down to 2000 ft here, but now have raised it to 3000 ft. Should at least make that a cold rain here at 1350 ft. and maybe something to look at in the local, low mtns. We can usually see the snow in the San Jacinto mtns above Palm Springs and the San Bernardino mtns, if not from here, at least from the freeway. DH complained on Wed about our "horrible" weather. Funny man, .17 in of rain on an off and on sunny/rainy day! He really needs to try someplace with REAL weather.

I'll be quick as I am still without power. We had it turn on about midnight, then go off again. It is almost 2:30PM and still no power. The snow has been melting as it is about 18" high now, though it just started back up again with the snowing.... Many more branches are down.

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden

evelyn-hope you are ok and get power soon!!!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hey everyone!
I've been missing you. : - |

I finally found a quote to share.

"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places."
~Ernest Hemingway~, "A Farewell to Arms"

Be home soon, and will tell you all about my trip then. : - )
WIB~
SW

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Hey SW, I found this picture of a wall hanging quilt at one of my QG sites. Saved it for you.

Thumbnail by quiltygirl

”Come to the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like falling leaves.”
~John Muir

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

I know John Muir spent most of his time in the mountains, and I enjoy them, but that kind of calmness comes to me at the ocean. For eight years I was blessed to have my place overlooking the Pacific and Catalina Island in the distance. When I would commute home from downtown Los Angeles, the stress of the day and the freeway would just fall away.

I grew up in southern CA. My last place of residence there was in Topanga Canyon. I suppose I was practicing "mountain driving"...LOL! I did really love it there though I only lived there for little over a year. It was 10 minutes to the beach.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

After reading your posts, and knowing I'm coming home tomorrow, I got a couple of things to toss out there.

QG, I feel the same way, and without the surf it's just not the same.

"There's No Place like Home!", said Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz.

Driving home after a trip or journey, I always say as we turn into the drive way, "Home again, Home again, jiggetedy jig!"
Don't know why I say that (heck I don't know what it means except to me or even where it came from), but for me it is a way of expressing my happiness to be home.

BTW, I miss you all! : - )

Can't wait to share with you my recent journeys. Yep, journeys.
More tomorrow if I'm not exhausted from the trip home. : - )
WIB~
SW

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

I just looked you up on the map and man o man are you off the beaten path!! I have toured along Hwy 49 up as far as Auburn, but I see you are way east in the mountains from there. Has to be beautiful country there, huh? Drove up Hwy 120 to Groveland at night once, scary road in the dark when you don't know where you are! I have friends who bought property up in Nevada City/Grass Valley back in around 1990. I have driven up there and wouldn't mind living there either (except being further from ocean). Ideally, the Mendocino coast would be a great place to live - trees and ocean, lol.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

SW, I have found that international travel takes a larger toll on our bodies as we get older and going/coming east more so. I have been to China twice and the first time, I got home at 1AM and went to work that day. OK day, HOWEVER I was trashed the next day and my boss had me starting a seminar that I was comatose in!

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Sharon, my grandma used to say that. It is part of an old nursery rhyme: To market, to market, to buy a fat pig. Home again, home again, jiggety jig."

Personally, I always get "Homeward Bound" and ( . .durn it, which John Denver song was it that was about going home?) stuck in my head when we're on our way home from a long trip. "Sweet Home Alabama," too, though I've never lived in Alabama. "Sweet Home Iowa" and "Sweet Home Illinois" just don't have the same ring to them. LOL

maybe it was "take me home country roads" that probably isnt the name, just a lyric i remember.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Here you go, enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWzeInQaUk4

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I think we all feel the same. Going away occasionally is OK but OMG is it great to come around the bend and see "Home". Nothing feels better than "Home".

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Yes, that's the one! LOL Don't know why I was drawing such a blank!

We were just discussing at school today the Little House on the Prairie books, and how Charles was such a wanderer, and never wanted to settle anywhere, while Caroline was more of a home body, and didn't want to keep starting over. I think I'd be more like Caroline. Traveling is fun, but it sure feels good to come home at the end of it!

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

It has been almost 2 years now (june) since DH's son and his wife sold/stored all their stuff and live full time in their 45 ft, 4 slide outs motor home. They are in their early 40's not retired like you usually think of full time RV'rs. They were gone back east for 3 weeks (in their RV) this summer and when they were nearly home, he said on the phone "gee, it will be nice to come home and sleep in my own bed. Oh yea, I have it with me". As much as I like to travel, it is nice to come back home, if even for a short time to get ready for next trip. I would not like to be like the turtle taking my house with me though.

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
- Pablo Picasso

You dont stop laughing because you grow old,
You grow old because you stop laughing
unk

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Wow, I am jet lagged. I can't sleep, but it's so good to be home again. The trip home was brutal.
I love the John Denver Song, Country Roads, but that wasn't what I was thinking of when I got home. I was thinking of the song "Proud to be an American".
Fell asleep most of the drive home from LAX. Poor DH hasn't slept for like 36 hours, and he's down for the count. I either catnapped or passed out from the pain throughout the trip home. So I didn't even say Home again home again. But am glad to know the first part of the rhyme. : - )
I have a lot of thoughts about the trip, and I'll be sharing them on another thread. Give you a link when I get it set up.

My thought which sort of goes along with shermie's is, "When you stop learning you start to die."
Don't know if someone else said it, but it is something I've always tried to live by. Learning new things has always been fun for me.
I think you need to have a balance of laughter, and learning to keep yourself young no matter what your age. Not to mention a well developed sense of the ridiculous. LOL!

Gosh, it's good to be home. : - )
Will check back in when I wake up again. I'll be in bed resting the next few days.
WIB~
SW

"Not to mention a well developed sense of the ridiculous." Well, we have plenty of that here, don't we...but it's all good, clean fun!

WELCOME HOME! SW. WELCOME HOME!

I just saw this today, posted by Lazlo ~ Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Glad to be home, but am still time lagged. : - (

Thanks for the welcome home Evelyn. Nice thought. : - )
Lets' see what kind of thought I can find for today. : - )

"The point is not to pay back kindness, but to pass it on."
~Julia Alvarez~

Got to share this one too! : - )

"Be who you are and say what you feel because
those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
~Dr. Seuss~

Have a great day everyone! : - )
WIB!
SW

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Okay, where is everyone?

"Be yourself. An original is always worth more than a copy."
~Unknown~

"Live only for today, for tomorrow may never come."
~Unknown~

or as they say in Kodiak Island, Alaska,

"Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we may die!" (usually right before they go fishing.)
~Unknown~

"Don't wait until people are dead to give them flowers."
~Sean Covey~

One more a bit more positive, and maybe as a reminder that life is so precious.

"We have no choice of what color we're born or
who our parents are or whether we're rich or poor.
What we do have is some choice over
what we make of our lives once we're here."
~'Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry', by Mildred Taylor~

Walk In Beauty~
SingingWolf

I remember my grandmother telling me to "be myself", when I was young. It never worked though, as I did not know who I was. Anyone have that experience?

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Your Grandmother was right. Mine just called me a rotten little heathen Indian, so I became one (except the heathen part, by which I think she meant ignorant). LOL!
One good thing about growing up a military brat was that you could re-invent yourself, until you felt comfortable being you.
Now then, I was always told to quit wearing my heart on my sleeve. I can't help it that I feel emotions and they show. Always hated that saying and still do. Me not emoting isn't me being me. : - (
Speaking to this evelyn, I found a good quote. : - )

"The only way you can truly control how you
are seen is by being honest all the time."
~Tom Hanks~

You go Tom! IMHO, Tom Hanks is the best all around actor of our generation. : - )

So a better answer might be that each of us at some point in our lives, decides that they will live by a moral code. I'm sure it's different for each person. I decided a couple of things a long time ago. This along with our own personal experiences and how we handle them come to be the current you.
I don't make promises I can't keep.
I don't lie.
I don't cheat.
I don't compete except in fun, or I do compete with myself.
I don't steal. I am sometimes painfully honest.
And you know I like that about me. : - )
I have other rules that I live by, but most of all I live by the Golden Rule.
Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You!
I'm also a big proponent of doing "acts of kindness for strangers".
Things that I feel enrich my life. : - )
Being long and wordy again. Aren't ya glad I'm home? LOL!

One more. : - )

"An open mind opens doors."
~Unknown~

Walk In Beauty~
SingingWolf

Well that is what she told me when she was sober...

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

evelyn,
My gma's didn't drink the devil's brew, but Mom made up for their abstinence. At least your G.ma probably remembered telling you to just be yourself.
My Mom doesn't remember most of our childhoods' (5 of us kids, plus a couple of step-sisters thrown in for the fun!), and it wasn't because she was too dog tired from taking care of us. I know because I've been taking care of our Mom since I was about 5 years old.
My sibs helped as much as they could or she'd let them, but all families have quirks, and Mom's was multiple marriages and drink.
It was hard on us kids having no contact with my Dad until we were all in our teens, but it makes me cherish the times I did have with my Dad, even more. I'm pretty sure Dad was proud of me, and we had reconnected, in a good way. Except on the weekends, when we were both busy with the kids in our lives, we emailed each other every day, up until the week before he died.
I guess I'll never stop missing him, but I smile instead of cry most times when I talk about Dad these days.
It's what makes us human, caring about other people.
Be well evelyn, and know you've always got a friend in me! : - )
WIB~
SW

Quote from SingingWolf :
evelyn,
My gma's didn't drink the devil's brew, but Mom made up for their abstinence. At least your G.ma probably remembered telling you to just be yourself. [/quote]

It's hard to know what she remembered. At least I remembered it, when I finally knew who I was, which of course, was way after she passed on...

[quote="SingingWolf"]
It's what makes us human, caring about other people.
Be well evelyn, and know you've always got a friend in me! : - )
WIB~
SW

Thank you SO much! ((BIG HUG))

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Any time evelyn! : - )
How about a couple more quotes.

"You may be disappointed if you fail,
but you are doomed if you don't try."
~Unknown~

"Not everything that is faced can be changed.
But nothing can be changed until it is faced."
~James Baldwin~

One to live by!

"It's a funny thing about life'
if you refuse to accept anything but the best,
you very often get it."
~W. Somerset Maugham~

Have a great day everyone!
WIB~
SW

Middle age is when you're sitting at home on a Saturday night and the telephone rings and you hope it isn't for you. ~Ogden Nash

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Good one Shermie! LOL! : - )
WIB~
SW

(Zone 7a)

"I didn't lose my mind. I sold it on Ebay."
Unknown

Weather is a great metaphor for life - sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, and there's nothing much you can do about it but carry an umbrella. ~Terri Guillemets

Y'all got me in stitches...I can't think of anything right now, but I will be back with "SOMETHING" hee, hee....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.