What lilies can be planted along L. longiflorum

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Hello everyone !! I want to add some more lilies to my garden. I got 2 longiflorums last year at the grocery store and they are about 4 inches high already this year. I know tha they do perennialise here because my neighbor down the street has a beautiful patch that come back year after year. Is there any other lily that can grow in zone 10B alongside the longiflorums. I love the scent and the white flowers but would love some color as well.
Thanks;
Rolando

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I put in 6 LAs in 2009. They grew to about 3 feet high and gave off a couple of blooms. Last year they really took off, reached over 5 ft high and bloomed like crazy. They share an area with peonies and a few asiatics and orientals. Due to our excessive heat last year, every lily in my yard bloomed prematurely. They were beautiful blooms, but by August, there were very few left. Most of the scented lilies are the orientals. About their only requirement is good drainage. They don't like wet feet!

Any lilies sold in garden centers in your area should do well in 10B. Buy bulbs, not plants.

Thumbnail by cathy166
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Here's an article about lily growing in Florida

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/11/15/Homes/Consider_the_lilies_o.shtml

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Polly's article is a good one. I notice that most lilies are not listed in zone 10, but there are a lot of wonderful tropicals (see the article). Caladiums and orchids have to be a good choice with the gloriosa.

Lilies (and probably most true bulbs) need a die-off time to regenerate. In colder climates, it is really easy to figure: they freeze, the stems die, and the bulbs are left to rest and renew. The bulbs can take a tremendous amount of abuse. I have unknowingly and neglectfully left bare bulbs in a clump with no soil outdoors through a cold New England winter. The only bulbs that did not make it were left in a planter with too much water and rotted.

I do not know if the bulbs need cold to renew, but you could simulate it and give it a try. Knowing the amount of moisture in Miami's soils, I'd see if there are any lily bulbs in local garden centers and I'd only put them in containers that have nice drainage holes drilled in multiple places. I would expect that you would have to check garden centers year round.

Containers do not need to be 6" to 10" flower pots. They can be large window boxes, half whiskey barrels or 20-30 gallon storage containers. Then keep them off the ground with wood or large rocks or put them on pavement or a deck. You may be able to Google lilies for zone 9 and trick them. The one thing I know you CANNOT grow in zone 10 is peony, which needs about 400 hours of 40 degree or below for most species and hybrids.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.