Hamamelis mollis pallida

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Help- I live near Seattle, and my 2 year old Chinese Witch Hazel (variety pallida) is flowering again, but the leaves never fell off so it is really ugly, instead of being totally cool looking. This also happened last year, so I do not think it is from our wierd winter. Will it grow out of this phase? Should I give up? Should I plant another cultivar? It is a grafted specimen-does this matter? Does anyone know what would be better? I see that Forestfarm Nursery in south Oregon has many named varieties.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I don't know what your's is doing but mine has only bloomed about twice in twenty years.

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Mimi, one of mine did not lose all of its leaves either but they were easy to pull off I assume your plant is too big for that kind of hand treatment. The one I had to dress up a bit was, I think, Jelena and it was in a pretty protected area. The ones out in the open were clean. I do think part of it was the mild winter.

Isn't your variety supposed to be particularly frangant? I wouldn't give that up as some are not so much so.

Lake Stevens, WA

I was thinking it must be in a protected spot. With the wind we had yesteday you would think they would blow off. When the new leaves come the old should fall off.
Welcome to DG, I live in Lake Stevens also.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.