Palm ID

Melbourne, FL

Can anyone ID this great looking Palm? It came through the latest freezes with no damage. The pic was looking into the sun, but hopefully somone will know it. The one in the pic was around 15 feet tall. Thanks.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
noonamah, Australia

It's a Phoenix species, but looks like it might be a cross-breed. Maybe some sort of combination of dactylifera and canariensis.

Melbourne, FL

Thanks for your help.

San Diego, CA

Perhaps this palm is Phoenix Sylvestris (India),It has attributes of both P.Canariensis and P.Dactylifera.If the leaves are held somewhat revolutely(in a circle off the branch) as opposed to being held on a single plane,then this could be what youv'e phtographed.It would also be unlikely to be Pupping if it's Sylvestris.

Melbourne, FL

These are located at the entrance to a shopping center and are just amazingly beautiful. I've really only seen it from a car, not up close.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I have seen a lot of Phoenix dactylifera that tend to look like that in humid climates (see them all over Hawaii).. I used to wonder if there was lourereii in those palms, too, as they have that look also. But I am suspecting that may be the way some dactyliferas deal with humidity as I only see these Phoenix in that climate.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

It looks like a Phoenix sylvestris to me.

Jim

San Diego, CA

I would have to say if You want to buy a Palm with the attributes like the one in your photo,buy a P. Sylvestris.Great palm, I just put one in a design in San Diego and the client is really happy with the look of the palm.The look is what your after anyway right ?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.