UNBELIEVABLE!

Arlington, TX

This is the first day I have had the inclination to look at my plants out in the yard. Ice storm, 8F weather for days, wind chills to -13F and my CP's look pretty good. None of them is rated to the temps we had here in North TX. The bad thing was that the cold didn't last a few hours or half a day like normally, it was a long, deep cold spell. These plants are in small pots, out on patio with no protection from the ice, strong winds or temps. I even have one tiny VFT that survived this in a 4 inch pots and I swear the little trooper has some tiny leaves that are green. Too early to tell about my volunteer D. filiformis but the resting bud felt firm and looks alive. Anyone who says they are difficult to grow has not researched their growing needs. They are amazing.
Cheryl

Arlington, TX

Here is a pic of the plants I am referring to as of today. They had zero protection.

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Wow, I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya. Weird weather this year huh?!

Arlington, TX

That was definately unusual for this part of the world but I know its been bad over a lot of the country this year. I think they are alive and honestly I am very suprised at the amount of cold they tolerated.
C

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

You just wait til spring. The worse the winter (as long as there is no freezing wind that dehydrates the plants), the happier the plants in spring. They sleep right through it. Keep this as your before picture. Show us your after in May and June. I bet they will be gorgeous. :) Nice puppy. :)

Arlington, TX

The leaves are fried and usually there are some left for the spring so they will need to regrow a new set. He is not a puppy anymore but he is a big baby.
C

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I was teasing. I call all dogs puppies. :)

A lot of people cut all the leaves off the Sarracenia, and in the spring the flowers go up, and then the leaves. Last year I had a problem with what I believe is thrips, and I had to cut all my Sarracenia to the ground. The plants rebounded beautifully. With healthy plants, I would remove the leaves from all the Sarracenia except Parrots and purples. It gives space for the new leaves to come up.

Arlington, TX

I have always just cut the worst and cut the others as they died back, this year I might try a radical trim. The purples are dead also, maybe a few small leaves in the center might still be alive.
C

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I would leave them all if there's no disease, and trim right before they come out of dormancy. I imagine you will be in for a good surprise at how nice your plants will be in spring. They always look terrible in the winter.

Arlington, TX

Yes, too early now but this I will try trimming and see if there is a difference.
C

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.