Do blueberries really taste BLUE?

East Tawas, MI(Zone 5b)

I like owning abit of the odd.....it becomes me!

Pink Lemonaid Blueberries
Seen them in some catalogs, bought 2 off ebay. Hope they turn into some fine bushes some day.

Here's the sellers scoop:

Pink Blueberries add Sizzle to Your "Snackscape"
Lovely pink-white flowers in spring, hot pink fruit in late summer
Self-pollinating, only one plant is needed for berries. But the more the better!
The fruit is just as sweet and mild as regular blueberries
The plant you will receive is well branched, about 7-9" tall and growing in a 2 1/2" x 3" pot
Be the first in your neighborhood to grow 'Pink Lemonade' blueberries. With lovely pink-white flowers in spring, hot pink fruit in late summer and orange-red leaves in fall, this award-winning blueberry is a stand-out in ornamental beds and foundation plantings, providing three-season interest and a delicious, nutritious harvest. The fruit is just as sweet and mild as regular blueberries. Hardy in zones 4-7. Plant in full sun; prefers acidic soil. Mature size is 5' x 5'. Will begin producing fruit in 2 years. Plants are 16 to 18 months old.

While it does say Self-pollinating..I did buy two. and tho it stated I would receive plants 7-9" tall...the one's that arrived today are 13 and 15 inches tall and they lok like well cared for plants. I have purchased other plants from this store on ebay and found them to be good of price, care with plants and helpful if issues arise.
They are currently the only ones selling the Pink Lemonaid Blueberry on ebay.
the store is called hirtsgardens.

HAS ANYONE ELSE BOUGHT THESE?

Thumbnail by elfenqueen
East Tawas, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh..and I forgot

Best wishes to all for an early and grand growing season

This message was edited Feb 12, 2011 12:28 AM

Greensburg, PA

Majesty, I have Pink Lemonade from another source from two years ago. They have not fruited to date but I am hopeful for this season.

East Tawas, MI(Zone 5b)

Truly! Well, tis certain to be their season, I wish you grand success (seems the groundhog is doing his part for us). Will you be posting photographs?

Greensburg, PA

Might depending on circumstance and success. Heard that there were two different strains of pink blueberries being available, Pink Lemonade and another whose name escapes at the moment. The Pink Lemonade is supposedly from rabbiteye stock, which don't do well this far north for me so this is a bit of an experiment.

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

I don't have the pink blueberries but I hear that NC State is working on Blue Pinkberries. I will try those soon. :~)

(Sorry, I couldn't resist; I love my blue blue berries just the way they are)

Paul

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

I don't have the pink blueberries but I hear that NC State is working on Blue Pinkberries. I will try those soon. :~) Actually, I only have rabbiteye blueberries altho the Southern highbush var. will grow here. I soil tested my backyard and it ranged from 4.2 to 4.5 pH, perfect for blueberries. I am waiting for a lawn grass var. of blueberries.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist; I love my blue blue berries just the way they are)

Paul

Greensburg, PA

pbyrley, Not sure if you were making a joke there. There are ground cover varieties of blueberries, so you could do an area with those.

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Krowten,
yeah - all joking. I knew about the ground covering kind - had some from Home Depot or Lowe's when I lived in Huntersville, NC.

Paul

Greensburg, PA

Pink Lemonade would likely do well in your area as well. Incidentally, speaking of color, I tried some tomatoes that had been genetically modified to include the color genes from blueberries. Tasted like a normal tomato, but the base variety they used was not one of my fav's and I didn't continue with them. Was a nice looking, blue tomato though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.