ORVG Coffee House #186.... Winter has turned the corner.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Greek Style Yogurt....
Cookie or I can make Greek Yogurt though....lol!

Wasn't really that impressed w/ the 4 person tub.
So after researching some more and talking to some people I'm going to try to repair the HT.
There's really not much to them and I have the plumbing knowledge and most of the tools.
The tub itself still in fairly good shape and we of course already have it installed and the enclosure built.
We'll be getting and installing a new pump first.
I have to test the air blower and maybe replace that but they are relatively cheap.
We'll see how it goes.

Columbus, OH

Hope you can get it fixed, Ric. You're good at that sort of thing, if anyone can, it's you.

LOL on the greek yogurt. yeah i guess if Ric or Cookie make it its considered greek. LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Glad Tim found a gig!
Sorry it's once again in China....Booo!

good morning everyone
BOnnie how is your back doing ? better i hope.
Pat what is the scoop on your life today ?
Celene how do you make your own G- yogurt ?
well its pouring rain here :( cold too. brrrrr
savannah is sick , tim has swollen glands is on his way to urgent care.
austin is doing fine knock on wood. but he and i take vitamins ! and tim and savannah don't.
bbl

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh, my, life is WET today, Sue. 1.30 inches of rain so far. High temp of 61, & now it's 39. Bad weather for the joints.
I look at all this water cascading down to the street & wonder why I haven't hooked up rainwater barrels to the downspouts. It would save me a fortune in H2O bills!
Sorry to hear about the sickies (as opposed to sickos). It's still February, & that seems to mean all manner of germs getting traded.

I got a magazine of New Yorker cartoons at the grocery. One has God, sitting in his easy chair, perched on a cloud, with the Bible open in his lap. He's looking concerned, & the bubble says "Shoot! I can't believe I forget the dinosaurs!"

STill doesn't match my all time favorite, Moses coming down the from the mountain with the stone tablets in his hands, telling the people, "This is only a first draft, but it looks like we can't get away with anything!"
Pat

ROFLLLL Pat that is a funny one with Moses LOL you slay me.
yeah the sickies are not fun. I m glad tim went to see the dr. his BP is high !! 150 over 60 ?
we have had rain all day long too. its freezing rain right now and everything is ice !
sure hope tim doesn't want to take austin to karate. no way will i allow it !

Columbus, OH

Dear Columbus, Ohio drivers: If you can't drive in the snow, we love you, it's okay. There are things all of us are not good at doing. For the same reason that I don't try to sing in public, could you please just stay home? Have someone else drive you, perhaps?

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Celene, guess it was a bad driving day for Ohio folks.

We were cloudy and overcast all day, and had a few sprinkles this morning. Then about 6:30 the skies opened and we had sheets of rain coming down sideways!!

DH did get the yard seeded with the grass seed. He used a roller on it after seeding it, but didn't get the straw down before the rain. Don't know how long it will be before it is dry enough for him to do that.

I worked on paying bills and sorting all the papers. Seems like I do a lot of that. I tried just putting the mail aside and going through it at the end of the week, but gosh I had a mountain, so now am sorting it daily and putting in the garbage all the junk mail, and putting the bills aside until I have several.

I didn't feel as good today as I did on Saturday or Sunday. The pain is back, and I only have enough meds for 2 more days. I was so hoping that this would take care of it but it looks like unless things shape up in the next couple of days, I will be off for tests and x rays.

Sue, is it true that Tim has a job offer in China again? Wow, I wish he could find something here, but I guess you take what is offered, no matter where it is.

Ric, sorry about your HT, but sounds like you have a good plan, and will probably be able to repair it for less than what you could even find a good used one. Another one would probably have completely different plumbing fittings, etc.

I worked a little while this afternoon packaging the red castor bean seeds. Di, yours will go out tomorrow in the mail. Janet, I will give you yours when I see you next. We are due a lunch soon aren't we? If anybody else wants some, let me know.

Columbus, OH

People forget how to drive when three snowflakes fall here...they either drive four miles per hour, or barrel through at a high rate of speed because they have a giant Hummer 2 to which the laws of physics do not apply.

I can talk about yogurt making at home, or do you all want a new thread, rather than hijacking this one?

Waddy, KY

Celene, a new thread please. I don't want to be rude or offend you but until I get my herd of little brown cows yogurt and cheese just doesn't hold my interest. But I know there are others that want to know how you do it.

Bonnie, I hate to hear you hurting. Spring's coming and you've got to get yourself back together so you can enjoy it. And yes, lunch anytime you wish. We can do that and then maybe in middle or late April we can grab a quick bite to eat and go to Wilson's before I have to go back to work or maybe just Lowes. Somewhere with plants.

Jules, good to see you popping in. I hope you do it more often. I have some more Hanson's coming in this spring. Gotta love those yellows! Are you and Momma H doing OK?

Ric, sorry about the HT. Someday I hope I'll have one. I'll probably be too old to get in and out of one by then.

Beddy Bye for me. I think I've had about enough.

Nighty nite to all....

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Janet! Yes, we are ok. I am about ready to brave the elements to take a neighbor to the airport. I have not driven in bad weather all winter, so am a little rusty.

Columbus, OH

If you're going to Port Columbus, the roads are really fine this morning.

Kydaylily, I take zero offense. I know that sometimes threads take on a life of their own that doesn't interest me, either ;)

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Where did everyone go???

All snuggled up under a blanket probably!

Columbus, OH

I'm getting ready for a big veterinary continuing education convention this weekend. I'll be gettin' edumacated!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Good....send some smarts my way!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good morning all. I see I haven't been around again for a few days..lol.
We had ice again yesterday...and still here today. I don't 'do' ice...so I am stuck inside until it melts! Hoping that will happen today. I have just about had it with winter this year!
Dave and I went up to Meadowview this past Saturday....guess what??????? They weren't even open! Good thing we didn't plan to go on Friday!!! Also stopped at Andy's Gardens...nothing there either, except some sorry looking bulbs they had shoved into a cooler to slow their growth.
Oh well...I am good at jumping the gun in February.
We did go to an antique mall and look around. Dave bought a lamp for the front bedroom window. He's been wanting to put one there...even though I didn't! Whatever floats his boat I guess!
I bought a serving dish that was pretty..lol...and I surely didn't need it!
Then we stopped at Rob's in Brookville and had supper. It's right off I-70...so if ever you are near...it's a great place to eat.
That's the story of MY life...now you are all uptodate!

Bloomingdale, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm still trying to dig out over here on this end of the state. 8 inches "officially" but I have closer to 10. It was so nice a couple of days ago...67* and sunny. Spring was just TEASING!

I've been looking at trees and shrubs. This yard only has 1 tree (supposedly a Tulip Tree) and a bunch of overgrown shrubs I haven't identified yet. Oh, and some Lilacs, those I didn't have to look up LOL But since mostly the yard is just open I want to plant a few more trees. I would like flowering, possibly fruit or nut? For the shrubs, I know I want a witch hazel, and a harry lauder's walking stick. After that, I'm thinking hydrangeas and there are some new ones that make me drool!

What are your favorite trees and shrubs for our area?

How would you go about gardening in a brand new area? Empty half acre?

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Blank slate! Oh what fun!

I love the hydrangeas, butterfly bushes and azaleas. Can't get enough Japanese Maples, love Canadian Hemlocks, too. Don't know how to limit it to 1/2 acre though!!!

We only got a spit of flakes, no accumulation. Whew.....so glad about that!

Marcy, what did you decide about the Hosta College?

Marcy get on over to North Dayton Garden Center. you will get a nice fix there. Love to meet you there if you want.
The bonsai room is amazing. lots of neat stuff there for sale in the tropical and house plants section. i got myself a cute burro's tail sedum and a Panda sedum. i think the burro's tail is so cute !!
hmm if i only new someone with those kind of plants ??? ROFLLL
well we are still working on the GH. Trying to get the tables organized to make any sense at all. Poor Tim i keep rearranging them. LOL
we are at 25 today . no sun , so its chilly brrrr
just think in less then 3 weeks we change our clocks ahead !!!
we are off to dinner with the folks for Al's birthday.
bbl

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well we hit 40° today and some weak sun.
Looks like rain and near 50° tomorrow.

Many of the major GH's are open here year around in Cincy.

Evening, folks. Another busy day doing practically nothing. Did my grocery shopping, and had a Dr appointment this afternoon. They sent me to have xrays of my back, but I doubt that they will reveal anything that I don't already know. Still fighting the pain from the sciatic nerve, and Dr said can't give me any more steroids. So it is muscle relaxers and pain meds.

I really think spring would cure a lot of ills that we are having.

I need a greenhouse fix. Got 3 catalogs in the mail today, so that is what my evening entertainment has been.

We are under a flood watch, beginning during the night tonight and all day tomorrow. The WL's say we could get 3-5 inches of rain. Of course with DH tilling the front yard and sowing it in grass seed, I hope that it all doesn't end up on the front porch, as there is a slight slope downward. I didn't want him to do it, so maybe I can say I told you so!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I see Bonnie is just about to start getting heavy rain.

Here's ours

Rain/Flod Warning
widespread rainfall amounts of one to three inches will be
possible. steady rain will move into the area today. a period of
heavy rain appears likely tonight.

water levels are already elevated due to previous rainfall
earlier this week. the upcoming rainfall has the potential to
cause additional flooding issues across the watch area.

we are going to get the same stuff as we did last week.
Governor gave the schools back their calamity days.
Bon's i m so sorry to hear of your back pain. Sending T&P to you.
my forsythia is blooming in our GH LOLLL its pretty. :)
stay dry everyone ! and be safe

Waddy, KY

Started raining here about 7:00. Not real heavy yet.

DD came back in this morning from feeding the weaned calves to change jeans. It seems she got kicked square in the behind by a steer that didn't think she was moving fast enough. Oh how I've thought of doing that over the years!!!

Having a soup day at work today. I made some crock pot beef stew. Not too bad a recipe. Good for a day like today when nobody wants to brave the elements.

Hopefully I can get the rest of my tomato plants started soon. Got one flat going but I need to get off my duff and move on.

~~~~~~~~~~ to everyone. Stay dry!

Janet to funny on the dd LOL .
wow tomato's already , still a dream for me yet. got another month until i start mine
good morning to everyone
forgot to say that to you all before :)

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL Janet!

Just cleaning around here today, still trying to get the 2009 spring cleaning done ;)

Tom brought home tickets to the Home and Garden Show for this weekend at the convention center - Yay!- it's been a few years since we've gone and I'm looking forward to going. Think I might make a trip down to Delhi Garden on Saturday to get my fix, my mom's been after me to take her some place green.

Better get the garbage cans before all the rain hits. Try to stay dry, everyone.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Which Delhi are you going to, Di? I used to work in West Chester so I did weekly runs by the original. I probably like it better than the new one.

Which Home show? Cinci or Dayton?

Bill is shoveling gravel in the driveway. So far, no rain here....knock on wood!

We have rain, but not the torrents that the WL's promised us. Wish I could have a job that paid me even when I was wrong!

I think the Lord heard my prayers last night, asking for the front lawn to not end up on my porch. Pat, do you think?

Janet, I am sure DD is going to have a sore sit me down for a couple of days. That is one memory that I still have of working in the dairy barn when I was home. Seemed like if you didn't get a dirty cow manure coated tail swished in your face, or a kick somewhere, you hadn't done your job.

Just heard from the Dr office about the xrays that they took yesterday. They are showing something, so now waiting for them to call me with the date they schedule a MRI. At least this sounds like this is going somewhere.

I'm going to the Home and Garden show in Cincy, and the Delhi on Northland, down by Tri-County. Honestly, I haven't even been out to the new one on Cinti-Dayton Rd; maybe I'll go there instead - much closer to home.

Bonnie, I've always been one tha wanted to know what it is, no matter what it is - much better than having no answer at all.

I didn't mention it, but DH has a beagle that had puppies beginning on Sunday afternoon. Well, she had 6, but one died. Today, DH goes out there to dock tails, and there are 6 living. I had checked her 3 times at least, palpating her stomach, and even I missed this one. So the poor girl has been in labor from Sunday till today. Believe me, I went out and I really really kneaded her to the point I probably got rough, and I am sure NOW that there are no more puppies. Wish I could apologize to her for not getting her some help.

oh Bonnie that poor girl . God bless her little heart. Congrats on the puppies. DOn't tell savannah you have puppies ! she may want one. LOL

Poor girl! I had a collie mix that was in labor for a long time like that and the pup ended up dead. Thankfully the dog lived but we had her spayed after that. We didn't mean for her to get bred and the pup that died was a huge puppy. I didn't want her to have to go through any of that again - thought it might kill her.

Bonnie - the seeds arrived in today's mail - thanks so much!

Columbus, OH

We have ultrasound for determining that all puppies have been delivered--don't feel bad, it's really easy to miss a puppy up under the rib cage in one of the uterine horns, esp. in a deep-chested breed like a beagle :)

I am just glad that mamma and the puppy seem to be doing fine. If I had had any indication there was another puppy, you can bet she would have been taken to the vet. But as I said, we have had so many litters, and never a problem like this.

Columbus, OH

Beagles are pretty easy, I wouldn't anticipate much trouble.

Ric, I need the name of that web site where I ordered the flea and tick meds. I had it on the computer that crashed, nuff said.

Columbus, OH

Defoecat, in a couple of weeks, they're going to release a new flea/heartworm rx that will be about 20-30% more than Frontline or Advantage alone. It will have milbemycin (the heartworm/intestinal worm preventive in Interceptor) plus spinosad (the active ingredient in Comfortis. I may change my dogs to this.

Celene, let me know the name of it, and the approximate cost. The last couple of times I used Frontline, I didn't think it worked too well. So will hold off on ordering anything till I hear from you.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Celene,
What do you think the best flea preventer is for cats? I've run out, the vet is coming next month to vaccinate all 3, & I've forgotten what to ask for.
Pat

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.